Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Barbara Brown Taylor's book, Leaving Church

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2006 8:44:51 AM PDT
M. Crandall says:
How refreshing to find an airing of the problems in parish ministry by a person of recognized ability, Barbara Brown Taylor.
I left the United Methodist Church after 3 years in parish ministry when the hierarchy of the church approved locking out 125 Hispanic people from an Anglo church. Prior to the lock-out, the Hispanic people had only been allowed to enter the building by the back door and all but 2 rooms had their locks changed to prevent Hispanic people "who have germs" from entering.
I was asked by the board of ordained ministry "why 'those people' need a building; why can't they worship in a field." I could only respond: well, last I noticed it rains where they live.
The observation that the 11 AM hour is the most segregated in the US is not true because of tradition or happenstance; it is an intentional policy.
As to why some ministers manage to stay 40 or 50 years? I learned why the most consistent quality in ministers who manage to stay in parish work is that they say NOTHING. It is as though they are issued a roll of duct tape with their ordination papers -- faithful leadership will not be tolerated.
I also learned that most ministers, as noted in one review, stay and put up with the agony of the betrayal of their vows because they 1) need the pension plan 2) need the parsonage 3) lack faith in God that God can make a way out of no way.
I am now witnessing the same process I endured occurring in a large black Holiness Church. So the aspect of church life as a "closed club" is occurring in all venues that are uni-racial. Breaking the hold of such behaviors doesn't allow much room for "cozy feelings" in ministry.
Wherever there are material possessions (buildings, trust funds, endowments) and issues of power, being a minister will be costly -- just like the cross. Ministry is not for the faint of heart nor is it designed to provide earthly happiness for the minister while all around us the poor are suffering. If Bishop TuTu had not stood and stayed against apartheid, where would South Africa be? Thank heaven he did not retreat to a comfortable academia.
I'm glad Barbara Brown Taylor has found a haven -- the poor, Indian people who were locked out of my parish church have no haven but Christ.
M. G. Crandall

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:30:27 PM PST
After multiple attempts by the elders to seduce this naieve divorcee, I asked my pastor why our church leaders were so biblically ignorant and sexually immoral. He told me that I could bring someone (a man) into the church. I said if the good people are out there, why would I stay here? And why would I bring them here to be seduced? Then church discriminated against me for ordination because I had problems with the aforementioned. I asked my elder girlfriend who I needed to sleep with to be ordained. After 50 years of superintending, teaching, youth ministry, singing, committee service, prison and orphan ministry I was broken hearted and quit. It seems to me that if the Holy Spirit was there the members would have behaved better. It seems that as it says in Revelation God took his Holy Spirit out of a rebellious church. Now I play with my dog at the park on Sunday. I am happier and more accepted with the unchurched. But I know that my gifts are wasted. It will be a long time, if ever, before I trust enough to join another church.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor (Hardcover - May 30, 2006)
4.5 out of 5 stars (272)