Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 12, 2015
Overall I'm glad I bought this book. There's a great recipe for injectable Cajun marinade that I'm tired of buying, or not having when I want it, so that one recipe is worth the price I paid for the book.

That said, I was hoping for more seasoning mixes, and hot sauce recipes, but there's only a few hot sauce recipes, and the seasonings are all rubs. It's very barbecue based, so it's nice for those that like to grill. There are nice marinades that are good for cooking inside though, and a lot of the sauces are good for inside or outside cooking.

All kinds of flavors are represented, from Italian to Middle Eastern, Tex-Mex, to Asian. Your imagination is needed to envision the look of the recipes, but experienced cooks will be ok with the lack of pictures, and appreciate the abundance and short & sweet format of the recipes.
on August 15, 2015
OK you have a slab of pork ribs, do you just slap it on the grill, or do you open this book and dress the ribs to perfection. well i would open the book and make a rub for the ribs and then cook them as indicated. after they are cooked and smoked start eating....alsonset
review image
on March 7, 2017
EXCELLENT! We LOVE this book and have made many, MANY rubs and marinades with these recipes. I've taken to making the Cuban Adobo sauce (from the citrus in our yard), and when buying chicken/pork in bulk, putting the marinade in the freezer BEFORE sealing it and throwing it in the deep freeze! Think about it -- if you allow the SEALED package to set in the fridge for an hour or so BEFORE tossing in the freezer, the meat has an opportunity to absorb the flavor and then again, when it thaws, it can absorb again.
on September 2, 2016
Absolutely everything that I have tried from this book has been great! Particularly the rubs, (the Fajita Rub is the best I've tasted anywhere), I don't generally rate these products, because I feel that we all have differing tastes and opinions when it comes to food, but this book and the recipes in it are good enough that you have to like them.
on June 6, 2013
I had this book checked out from the library for 6 months and finally decided it was time to buy it. I checked out Alton Brown's books and DVS's from the library and learned a lot, but never really cooked anything from them. I don't like cooking, but I grew up around the barbecue and camping. I don't like Midwestern style beef that doesn't have much more than salt and pepper on it. I also don't like being pegged in a corner to literally follow the directions word for word, step by step and using a specific meat product. There are both recipes and explanatory side bars and notes to explain the reasoning behind good barbecuing. He helps you decide what meats would be good to use with each recipe and when to use a sauce, versus a rub versus a marinade. Some of the recipes are low fat and some of the recipes I was able to turn lower fat without compromising flavor. There were still others that were spectacularly indulgent and should only be used every now and then. The best part is that it was easy. I even found myself enjoying making a marinade in the kitchen while the coals were warming up on my $50 dollar barbecue. And that is another reason I like this book. I don't need thousands of dollars of barbecue equipment to make the recipes. I spend more on the ingredients and end up with spectacular flavors. There are both American recipes and exotic recipes contained in it. My favorite so far is a French West Indian Chili Lime recipe that I cut out most of the oil of and use mainly on chicken. I also dug into my gringo San Diego roots and created a Mexican wet rub by mixing my recipe with a couple of the recipes in this book. Don't expect fancy pictures that will double as a table book. This book is a practical workhorse. The versatility of this book is what makes it awesome. I bought a used hardback because I couldn't find a hardback new and I want this book to last a lifetime.
on May 10, 2017
wow what a nice surprise. The book was larger than I expected it to be. It is chalked full of great recipes. I got another one for another gift and I will get more. What a bang for your bucks!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2017
Gave as a gift, they love it!
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2016
This is a great book of BBQ sauces for the beginner or expert. I've tried several of the sauces so far and loved them. I did make the blueberry bbq sauce and while it didn't taste like I expected it was still a very good sauce. For the most part these recipes are practical and easy for anyone to follow. I found that I already had *most* ingredients in my kitchen and only had to go out to buy a few minor things. I have tried a couple of the rubs and they are a smashing success with my taste buds! I haven't tried the marinades yet but from what I've tried already I think they will be awesome.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 5, 2015
While I agree that the book doesn't cover how to BBQ or Smoke foods; it is simply as it is titled. A collection of "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" along with :"Bastes, Butters, and Marinades".

It is full of recipes covering the most basic to some that could be considered gourmet. It is a great collection of recipes for use on the BBQ or in the oven.

A great reference book for the beginner, as well as the intermediate, and the advanced. The recipes are accompanied or separated by short stories which make for a great balance to the book.
on August 12, 2016
My husband loved this book. It's perfect for a beginning griller and offers several tips, tricks, back stories, and fun facts. He's refers to this book several times and has made several marinades and sauces. I'm not complaining! It gets me out of the kitchen and him on the grill very often. So far, everything he has made has been delicious.