Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bare Escentuals BareMinerals
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on December 12, 2006
As a makeup artist I have been doing makeup for weddings and special events for almost nine years now.

A vow to my clients is that I will never put anything on their face that I have not tried myself. Therefore, when clients started asking about bare minerals and whether I would recommend it or not I felt obligated to try it out.

When I try "new" products I put them through a volley of tests.

The first test I put it through I call the "photograph" test.

Some makeups have reflective agents in them that reflect bright likes such as the flash from a camera. While they look normal and well blended in normal lighting conditions they can look comically white in photographs were a flash is used. When doing makeup for weddings it is ESSENTIAL that the makeups I use DO NOT have reflective agents.

I took a photograph of my natural skin in normal lighting, then used a flash. I put on the BM foundation, came back and took two more photographs: one in normal lighting with no flash, one with a flash. I'm pleased to announce that bare minerals DID pass the photograph test.

My second test is the oil test. I have VERY oily skin and so do many of my clients. If it won't last all day on my skin, how can I expect it to last all day on the skin of a laughing, hugging, drinking, dancing, partying, kissing bride. I was happy to announce that it DID last a BIT longer than other foundations I have used in the past but it did not last as long as I would have liked. Touch ups during the day are essential to all-day wear (or a very good oil-control powder).

I really liked the way it looked and felt on my own skin but there are clients that I would NOT recommend it for.

I have a very strict facial regiment that I go through to keep my skin healthy, clear and fresh. If my skin were not in the healthy shape that it is in because of my regiment I don't believe bare minerals would be for me.

A healthy regiment is a MUST for this or any makeup. If I get a client who has not taken care of her skin I will not use bare minerals. I will moisturize the face, cover the problem spots and use a different type of foundation. I MAY brush a little over the top to give them a matte finish but it will not be my principle cover up.

Bare Minerals seems to be more about enhancing beautiful skin, not concealing troubled skin.

If you would like to use this product and use it effectively you MUST do the following:

1. MOISTURIZE! Though I recommend this for ALL of my clients it is still essential for Bare Minerals. An expensive foundation, whether bare minerals, or any other brand for that matter, will not be able to give you the moisture your face needs. Find a good moisturizer. Moisturize in the morning and at night.

2. Allow your moisturizer to completely absorb into your skin before you apply Bare Minerals. Because Bare Minerals is a powder it clings to moisture wherever it finds it. If you have any lingering moisturizer on your face it will cling to it and leave you looking caked and pasty. I recommend waiting about five minutes after moisturizing before applying bare minerals.

3. WASH YOUR FACE! Though this product boasts that it is so pure you can sleep in it, that is hogwash. Anything you put on your face for an extended period of time that cannot be absorbed (such as a moisturizer) IS going to clog your pores. I don't care how "pure" it is. Personally, I wash my makeup off with a gentle foaming cleanser and then I ex foliate with proactiv. I also use proactiv's toner and repairing lotion when needed, and I ALWAYS moisturize. Because bare minerals is a powder and not a liquid I have found it is a little easier to wash off initially, but because it is a powder and has tiny particles that CAN clog pores, my toner is especially necessary to really get down deep and clean my pores.

Healthy skin is essential to the success of any great look, but bare minerals is NOT a cure to skin problems as it boasts to be. The cure to skin problems is treatment to the best of it's ability. If you have acne, use an acne wash or talk to a dermatologist. If you have dry skin, moisturize. If you have oily skin, moisturize as well (as many times the body produces MORE oil when you try to dry it out). If you have a rash or any other skin problem, talk to a dermatologist and treat the condition. Makeup is NOT a cure to skin issues, it is an enhancement to the beautiful skin beneath it.

It is true that certain makeups can HELP your skin problems but do not look for makeups to cure your skin issues. If you abandon your skin regiment for a promise of healthy skin from a makeup, nine times out of ten you are going to find your skin problems coming back.

For those who have switched to Bare minerals and seen dramatic improvement in their skin, that is wonderful. It is very likely that a product in your old makeup was harming your skin or a certain product in Bare Minerals is exactly what your skin needed for a boost. Way to go!

Don't get sucked into the belief that a makeup will cure an issue with your skin. Talk to a dermatologist. Get your skin issues taken care of before you try the makeup and then see.

Also, DO NOT get sucked into the belief that the success of one product within a brand means that everything that brand produces is going to be as good. I get many clients who say, "I ONLY use XYZ..."

There are MANY brands that excel at one or two things but the rest of their products are substandard.

If you find one thing that works FABULOUSLY for your skin or your eyes, or whatever, by all means use it, but don't throw away the rest of your makeup and go all out for just that ONE brand, you will really miss out on the other one of two GREAT products produced by other brands.

I, myself, have over 20 brands of makeup in my kit. I'll never be the bride of just ONE brand.

Take care of your skin and you'll be surprised how many makeups WILL work for you.

AND MOISTURIZE!
7373 comments| 2,265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2006
I have tried this product and found it wanting. I agree with many of the reviewers that it feels light and silky and certainly looks like you have no makeup on at all. Unfortunately, I can look like I have no makeup on at all by simply wearing no makeup. With my older (early 50's) skin, I find that it really did not help in covering/hiding fine lines, dark(ish) circles under my eyes, or facial discoloration and the luminous quality of the powders actually seems to highlight wrinkles and lines rather than hide them. If I have to use a concealer makeup to aid in hiding these imperfections, I feel I might as well buy another type of makeup. On younger skin, I can well imagine this makeup could be quite lovely but I don't recommend it for the more mature set.

In an update to this review, based on some of the responses to my post, I decided (since I still had the makup!) to give it one more try and wear it for a week or so. It could be my skin type, but I still feel the "luminosity" of the makup only managed to accentuate, not hide, the fine lines around my eyes and mouth. Also, after wearing the makup daily for a little over a week, I found that it became increasingly itchy on my skin. I developed a few reddish patches on the more sensitive areas of my face (mainly around the eye area). I finally gave it away to a young person who will hopefully have better luck with it!
2222 comments| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2012
I have used BareEssencials/BareMinerals for many years and I LOVE it, but, this definitely was not an official product. Did not cover anything. I could not even tell I put it on..... I thought maybe the product was changed, but I recently bought it from Ulta like I usually did, and it's like night and day!
55 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2006
I have never worn foundation in my life. I hated being able to feel it on there, & I hated the effort of washing it off every night & how long it took to put on. This has solved all those problems. Applying the foundation takes maybe 30 seconds. I don't feel like I have anything on my face at all. Family was telling me how nice I looked, but when I told them I was wearing foundation they were surpised. It looked so natural. And this stuff won't hurt your skin if you leave in on at night. So no big hassle when you're tired & want to go to bed. The starter kit is the way to go; I was going to try just the foundation & was glad I got the starter kit. It's a really good deal over buying the things seperately as well.
99 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2007
I'm in my 20s and have combination/semi-sensitive skin. I'm used to using makeup by Kose and Laura Mercier which has always worked well for me. I was very excited about Bare Escentuals Minerals foundation since it's "100% natural" and seemed like it would cut down on make-up application time.

After 2 days of using the Medium mineral foundation along with the mineral veil, I started to notice some redness on my skin, which is very strange since I rarely have breakouts like that. On the 3rd day, my skin not only felt like sandpaper, but red patches appeared on my forehead, cheeks, and chin area. There were also small whiteheads among the red patches, which became very itchy and course. I immediately stopped using the Bare Minerals product. Though my skin is starting to slowly heal, it is still red, irritated, and rough. Though I don't doubt that this product does wonders for some people, it had the opposite effect for me.

They state that it is made of 100% pure bareminerals and is free of talc, waxes, oil, etc. but they don't specifically state what is in it, which may potentially irritate your skin. Some mineral makeup contain bismuth oxychloride. Bismuth is "a by-product of lead and copper." Imagine having to buff/rub that into your skin and pores. It may well be a "natural" ingredient of the earth, but just not natural to be on your skin. That may have been the reason why my body apparently rejected this product, similar to many other customers who have used it.

This is just my opinion and my experience but I suggest that before you use this product all over your face, do a test (leave on a small area of skin and leave on for a good amount of time), to see if you react adversely to it.
2323 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2006
So I think I have figured out why this product has received mixed reviews...

But, first, I will tell you that my experience with this product was... it looked quite atrociuos on my skin.

However, I have seen it look great on others!

I believe there are two reasons for this:

(1) Results will depend GREATLY on the texture of your skin. I have always had a difficult time with my skin. I don't mean acne. I mean that my skin is very dry and sensitive and the texture of my skin is not smooth. Because of the nature of this makeup, it looks horrible on those with dry or flaky skin (me), people with eczema (me), and so on. If you do not fall into this category, it will look fabulous on you, provided that you apply it as directed in the instructional video.

(2) I am extremely fair. Much lighter than the "fair" powder foundation. It was so much darker than my skin tone that even with the very light application (as directed) it was still obvious that I was wearing makeup and that this makeup was much too dark for me.

It seems that there is really no in-between here. It will either look absolutely fantastic on you and you will wonder why you ever wore anything else. Or you will end up looking like a scaly swamp-monster.

It depends.

...
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2006
With my senior prom just weeks away, I was willing to drop big bucks on this product hoping it would deliver what the late night infomercials promised. Thankfully, my local ULTA store sold Bare Escentuals foundation, so I was able to test it before I bought it. And I'm glad I did, because I HATED it.

The results were no different from other mediocre foundations I had used in the past. It didn't conceal as well as I thought it would and in some spots, it made some blemishes more noticeable. Worst of all, it gave my face a type of eerie "glow" that looked very unnatural in EVERY light (trust me). The make-up created a "mask-o-glow" that made it quite obvious where your make-up starts and where it ends.

If I have anything positive to say about the product, it would be that it felt very light on my skin and very soft to the touch. And the compliments stop there.

As a woman of color, it's hard to find good make-up that can look natural and conceal well, and with the "hype" generated by Bare Escentuals, I am VERY disappointed with the product.

But if you are the least hopeful that it may work for you, do what I did: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Go to your local department store that holds Bare Escentuals foundation and get a free professional make-up session, then take it for a spin. See yourself in outside light, inside light, and ask various people about what they think (note: children are brutally honest). If you are going to spend money, make sure it's money well spent.
on March 22, 2006
I can certainly related to all the 20 plus posted comments about this product both good and bad . I too suffer from post acne, large pores, and oily skin. The first time I tried BareMinerals I was like a few of you, couldnt see a difference, didnt know if I was putting it on right, didnt have the right color (being that I am a woman of color) thought it was a was of money. And you know what I threw away the first foundation jar never to buy it again, until I saw the infomerical about the product and of course, a shopping channel that will remain nameless that sells this particular product. So I decided to try one more time. What made me a believer the second time around was that I made sure of a few things:

Always use "Mineral Veil" first as a primer.

Then use "Warmth" as a concealer, highlighter and any other imperfections.

Make sure you always "Buff, Tap, Swirl" everything time. It is a certain way you have to work into the skin.

And lastly to use "Mineral Veil" as a finishing powder.

I will say this, I do disagree with Leslie saying all you need is a little of the powder and that's that. No makeup artist worth their grain can ever create such a perfect canvas for the skin just by using one product and very little of the product. Not going to happen. You may need a several "swirls, taps, buffs" to get the look, you may need to use moisturizer in the powder so your face won't dry out. You might need to custom blend several shades to get that color you always wanted. It happens.

All I am saying is that the product does work, if you are willing to work with it, unless you have a severe reaction to it by all means get your money back. I gave this product a second chance and now that Leslie has added three new shades for women of color I am glad I did!!!!
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2006
I find the product very messy to use. The powder manages to get over everything, i.e, vanity, clothes. I am middle aged with very good skin and I am not very wrinkled. This product accentuated my pores and the tiny wrinkles I do have. If I used very little like it says, it did not provide any coverage. If you use too much it covers but makes your face shiny and not natural. The colors were also hard to match. The darker too dark and the lighter, too light (almost ghost like). I don't know what all the fuss is about at all. I gave it to my 15 year old daughter to try who has acne. Maybe it would work for her. What a mistake, not only did it also accentuate her pores, it did not cover the acne, not even using the bisque and she broke out more. This product also takes a long time to apply. I did not like it at all nor would I recommend it but apparently I am certainly in the minority on this one.
33 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2006
I have a basic and non-time consuming make-up regimen, I also have very fair skin. I had hoped that Bare Escentuals would deliver as a shortcut to UV protection and providing light coverage with a natural finish. No such luck! I swear this product INVENTS fine lines and wrinkles. It is bizarrely "glowy" and makes me look shiny everywhere. It magnifies pores and lines by settling into them. It also takes much more time to apply than any other face powder I have ever used. The color wasn't bad, but the application, required brush, price, and performance were truly disappointing. Spare yourself and do not buy this product.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse