Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 757 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 902 reviews
on November 1, 2012
I own all of Ina Garten's cookbooks. I am amazed by how simple she makes cooking seem and every year around Thanksgiving, I start sorting through her recipes and planning my Thanksgiving menu. She delivers top notch results without much fuss, and I think she is probably my favorite long time Food Network personality.

Foolproof is a cookbook that seems to revolve around mistake proof entertaining. When Ina says "foolproof" she doesn't mean a recipe has only five ingredients or that it has only three steps. Ina means she has an ingredient list with easily obtainable ingredients and steps that appeal to your common sense so that you don't worry about whether the recipe will turn out. She tells you what to look for so that you know when each recipe is perfectly done.

She lists ten foolproof tips for cooking. Other chapters include: cocktails; starters; lunch; dinner; vegetables; and desserts. She also gives you 12 foolproof tips for table settings with photographs which help you out if, like me, making a table setting look polished but simple is something you need a little help with. She finishes the book with a foolproof index of menus for special occasions which cross references with special dishes from all of her cookbooks.

She does repeat foolproof recipes from her previous books such as her standard chicken stock, but the book is mostly comprised of new material. I have seen some complaints that some of her ingredients are just too much of a splurge. I like to look at her recipes from a couple of perspectives. She lives in the Hamptons, and ingredients such as lobster are a local, easy-to-obtain natural part of her repertoire. Also, these recipes seem to mostly have an emphasis on entertaining and many of us don't mind splurging a little for a special occasion. She typically will tell you where to source the occasional not so common ingredient such as truffle butter. I'm not certain why anyone would expect budget recipes out of someone who has never been known for them at any point in her career.

This cookbook is the same sturdy hardback that the rest of her classic cookbooks are fashioned in. Her cookbook has wonderful photography and stays open with no help, a real perk if you like to actively cook or don't own a cookbook stand.

I enjoy all of Ina's recipes but have always felt she has a rare gift to make vegetables shine. Her sweet potato puree is very simple to prepare but is full of nice nuances in flavor. I have been using her roasted carrot recipe for over a year now and am delighted to see that she has mixed it up with a recipe for braised carrots and parsnips.She presents a mashed chickpea recipe that is yummy. I will be serving up her chocolate chunk blondie recipe regularly (a neat twist on the chocolate chip cookie). The raspberry shortbread bars are buttery, flavor-filled, and exceptional. Expect food that you turn to when you want to make a delicious impression at a holiday dinner, special occasion, or because you love impressing friends and coworkers with yumminess.

I think her cookbooks consistently get better and become more user friendly with each book. I am excited to test drive this book throughout the holiday season.
88 comments| 393 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
This book was recommended to me by my sister-in-law. She is an excellent cook. She prepared the most delicious lamb with orzo, and I had to have the recipe. She got the recipe out of this book. Once I perused this book, I had to have it. Ina Garten's simple methods and personal culinary hints make this book a must for anyone who enjoys cooking and eating delicious food without much fuss. I have been cooking for my family for 28 years and I appreciate the lessons I learn using this book, but it is easy enough for a newbie as well. Having it on my Kindle allows me to have the recipes at my finger tips when I'm out and wish to stop at the grocery store to pick up a few things. I pull up the recipe and have all the ingredients I need for a scrumptious meal.
on November 26, 2012
I love Ina's show on TV so I decided to try her newest cookbook. I was not disappointed-she gives a great twist to everyday favorites like her meatloaf and introduces new recipes which I can't wait to try.
on September 22, 2013
Recipes were odd, and not general enough. I wanted to give this to my daughter and niece after getting a review of it that was good, but this did not have the "basics" that I wanted for young cooks, so I returned this book
on January 8, 2013
I gave this recipe book to a family member as a gift and she loves it but mentioned that there are many recipes with ingredients that she wouldn't normally keep on hand. She is a novice cook, so I suggested she choose one recipe at a time and gather all ingredients beforehand and that way, she would not go overboard with cost and she would learn in the process. She also mentioned how fun it was to read Ina's stories - that she sits and reads the cookbook just as she would any other book. With Ina - can anyone go wrong? I think not.
on June 17, 2016
I have never had a bad outcome with any of her recipes!
on March 19, 2017
Ina has recipes that taste amazing yet are relatively easy to cook.
on March 21, 2016
Loved the salmon quacamole sandwich ! Anxious to try the rest of the recipes.
The simplistic approach to the recipes is awesome .
on April 29, 2015
On her TV show, Ina Garten and her entourage, with all their affectations, make me crazy. But she can cook. Flavorful dishes made from attainable ingredients. At worst, they require mostly intermediate technical ability. Each of her cookbooks has at least a handful of classics that can't be topped. This is a great addition to our family cookbook shelf. Great gift too.
on April 9, 2013
Ina's newest cookbook and one of her best! I love so many of the recipes in this book. They truly are foolproof! Ina does such a good job making cooking easy. I especially like her helpful tips with each recipe and that there is a nice large picture of each recipe so you know what it should look like when its done! I bought all 8 of the Barefoot cookbooks and this is in my top three along with her Home book and her Easy book.