Shop Now HTL17_gno BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO

on November 1, 2012
I own all of Ina Garten's cookbooks. I am amazed by how simple she makes cooking seem and every year around Thanksgiving, I start sorting through her recipes and planning my Thanksgiving menu. She delivers top notch results without much fuss, and I think she is probably my favorite long time Food Network personality.

Foolproof is a cookbook that seems to revolve around mistake proof entertaining. When Ina says "foolproof" she doesn't mean a recipe has only five ingredients or that it has only three steps. Ina means she has an ingredient list with easily obtainable ingredients and steps that appeal to your common sense so that you don't worry about whether the recipe will turn out. She tells you what to look for so that you know when each recipe is perfectly done.

She lists ten foolproof tips for cooking. Other chapters include: cocktails; starters; lunch; dinner; vegetables; and desserts. She also gives you 12 foolproof tips for table settings with photographs which help you out if, like me, making a table setting look polished but simple is something you need a little help with. She finishes the book with a foolproof index of menus for special occasions which cross references with special dishes from all of her cookbooks.

She does repeat foolproof recipes from her previous books such as her standard chicken stock, but the book is mostly comprised of new material. I have seen some complaints that some of her ingredients are just too much of a splurge. I like to look at her recipes from a couple of perspectives. She lives in the Hamptons, and ingredients such as lobster are a local, easy-to-obtain natural part of her repertoire. Also, these recipes seem to mostly have an emphasis on entertaining and many of us don't mind splurging a little for a special occasion. She typically will tell you where to source the occasional not so common ingredient such as truffle butter. I'm not certain why anyone would expect budget recipes out of someone who has never been known for them at any point in her career.

This cookbook is the same sturdy hardback that the rest of her classic cookbooks are fashioned in. Her cookbook has wonderful photography and stays open with no help, a real perk if you like to actively cook or don't own a cookbook stand.

I enjoy all of Ina's recipes but have always felt she has a rare gift to make vegetables shine. Her sweet potato puree is very simple to prepare but is full of nice nuances in flavor. I have been using her roasted carrot recipe for over a year now and am delighted to see that she has mixed it up with a recipe for braised carrots and parsnips.She presents a mashed chickpea recipe that is yummy. I will be serving up her chocolate chunk blondie recipe regularly (a neat twist on the chocolate chip cookie). The raspberry shortbread bars are buttery, flavor-filled, and exceptional. Expect food that you turn to when you want to make a delicious impression at a holiday dinner, special occasion, or because you love impressing friends and coworkers with yumminess.

I think her cookbooks consistently get better and become more user friendly with each book. I am excited to test drive this book throughout the holiday season.
88 comments| 394 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2013
Recipes were odd, and not general enough. I wanted to give this to my daughter and niece after getting a review of it that was good, but this did not have the "basics" that I wanted for young cooks, so I returned this book
on January 8, 2013
I gave this recipe book to a family member as a gift and she loves it but mentioned that there are many recipes with ingredients that she wouldn't normally keep on hand. She is a novice cook, so I suggested she choose one recipe at a time and gather all ingredients beforehand and that way, she would not go overboard with cost and she would learn in the process. She also mentioned how fun it was to read Ina's stories - that she sits and reads the cookbook just as she would any other book. With Ina - can anyone go wrong? I think not.
on June 17, 2016
I have never had a bad outcome with any of her recipes!
on April 29, 2015
On her TV show, Ina Garten and her entourage, with all their affectations, make me crazy. But she can cook. Flavorful dishes made from attainable ingredients. At worst, they require mostly intermediate technical ability. Each of her cookbooks has at least a handful of classics that can't be topped. This is a great addition to our family cookbook shelf. Great gift too.
on April 3, 2016
I love this cookbook. It is well written and the recipes are easy to follow and ingredients easy to source locally. I really like Ina's books and I like this one especially. I bought one for myself and one as a wedding shower gift.
on April 17, 2017
fantastic!
on January 11, 2013
Ina is one of my favorites, I know I can always count on her recipes and this book is no exception. All of her recipes are explained in detail and most of the ingredients are easy to find at any general grocerey store. To be honest, I have every cookbook she has written and wouldn't think twice about giving them as gifts to family and friends (infact, I have). I think anyone who enjoys cooking at its best will love Ina's new book.
on August 5, 2017
Great book. Great price. Plan to make several of Ina's recipes soon!
on December 27, 2012
As always, Ina Garten has produced an amazing cookbook. I've already tried and love many of the recipes, especially the Sticky Toffee Date Cake - yummy!