Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Barefoot Running Book First Edition: A Practical Guide to the Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 14, 2010
While I think that there are some good tips in the book on how exactly to get started barefoot running, at 61 pages, it's more of a pamphlet than a book. The price is a bit high for what you're getting.
66 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2010
I am a new runner. I've never run in a race, or run a continuous mile even. However, when I wanted to start running, I learned about barefoot running. I researched it some more and discovered it was really the route I wanted to take. I was disappointed though, that there were no books on HOW to actually learn (or maybe there are, and I just didn't find them). Yes, there are websites and forums, but the information I found was scattered all over the internet. Then this book came out. I had already been reading on Jason's website and blog, but this had everything contained in one easy-to-understand book, even for a beginner like me. It's an easy read and I appreciated the humor scattered throughout it. Although I had been attempting barefoot running prior to reading the book, I did not achieve "proper form" until I read it and implemented some of the techniques. Now I am just working on building endurance!

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in barefoot running...either exclusively or part-time.

Now that I am running more regularly, and my feet are stronger...I LOVE running! And believe me, I NEVER thought I'd ever say that!
on January 24, 2012
This book contains very useful info for anyone interested in adapting a minimalist running style. The problem is, most of the info here is posted online for free (by the author himself I believe).

For $2.99 though it's worth having it all in one easily accessible place. And I would say the book goes into more detail somewhat. It's not rocket science, but it is extremely good advise. I read this book before switching to a minimalist running style, and took it very seriously. The transition has been enjoyable and injury free so far!
on June 13, 2010
This book is very short, but easy to read. It gives strengthening exercises, running techniques, training schedules, etc. However, I believe most of the information in this book could have been learned by trial and error of running. There is no profound information in this book. It was an easy read and gave some good tips however. It's worth the read.
on May 3, 2011
This book is a short introduction with great advice regarding barefoot running and form.

Note that that Kindle edition is the 1st edition, I don't think the newer 2nd edition is available on the Kindle.

There were a couple of errors in carry over to the Kindle, just a few words combined with no space between them. Not often enough to detract from good reading. Otherwise a great read!
on June 21, 2012
I've been reading a lot about barefoot running lately. This one, stripped to what is really essential in it, would become a booklet. But if you want guidelines to start barefoot running, and is looking for something not so bulky as Ken Bob's manual, go for it.
on July 27, 2010
I recently received a copy of Jason Robillard's "The Barefoot Running Book" in the mail and was excited to see what this experienced barefooter had to say on the topic. I heard of Jason previously through both of site, Barefoot Chronicles. Jason is also an active poster on the Runner's World Barefoot Running forum.

The book is short but full of informative information. It's written clearly, and the author injects humor here and there, making it more than just a boring textbook. Barefooting is supposed to be fun anyways, right?

After introducing himself, Robillard discusses the very basics of running barefoot, including taking it slow, listening to your feet, and just having fun doing it. Coming from a Pose Method background ([...]), I do differ with the explanation of how to run, but he still does a good job of explaining the most important concepts, which are that of the leaning from the ankles and pulling the foot off the ground. Besides that technical area, I thought he does a great job of explaining different drills you can do and reminding you to relax when you run. While it's important to keep your core active and tight, people get nagging injuries due to shrugging their shoulders, plantar or dorsi-flexing their ankles, or just remaining too rigid in the knees throughout the whole stride.

The book's "Concepts" sections are well thought out, the drill "Activities" are all extremely useful, and the "Issues" sections address well-known problems that newbie, and experienced, barefoot runners face from time to time. Robillard provides sections for all skills levels, from beginners looking to run a few miles to racers eager to set new PR's, and to people who'd like to get into barefoot running on trails where there are more hazards than when running on pavement.

The book definitely accomplishes its goal of introducing barefoot running to the uninitiated, and it's length and humor keep it accessible to adults and children alike. I highly recommend it if you are interested in learning barefoot running, as it inspires you to just get out there and go!
on April 21, 2010
I started running barefoot last spring, there was a lot of trial and error involved but with the help of others who were knowledgable I got through the beginning and am now exclusively an unshod runner. I ordered this book as soon as it came available and it's is awash with great advice for beginner barefoot/minimal runners. If you are considering the transition DO NOT try it without this book. Jason does a great job of breaking down all the steps involved in becoming a sucessful barefoot runner.
I can't wait for the sequal!
on March 30, 2014
I like this book because it does not have long academic chapters on anatomy. It contains the essential information for beginnig bare foot running. The writer has many experience of it.
on December 31, 2012
I have read this book 3 times and have recommended it several times to shod runners looking for something different. Each time I read the book I am encouraged I made the choice to consider barefoot running; Though I will probably stick to minimalist running shoes for now. I am sure I will read the book again and will continue recommending it.