Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Barnett Wildcat C5 Crossbow Package (Quiver, 3-20-Inch Arrows and 4x32mm Scope)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on January 24, 2012
Updates at the bottom....

I bought the crossbow last week and was able to take it out today and shoot it for the first time. For starters, out of the box, it was a very simple assembly. I read comments elsewhere that the instructions were confusing and people had to research online to find out how to assemble it. For those people, I don't think they should own a cross bow. If their brains don't work mechanically enough to understand the idea behind a crossbow and how it it should be put together to function correctly, then I don't want them anywhere near me in the woods. Seriously though, it's pretty easy. Out of the box it should take no more than 10 minutes to assemble. Maybe a little longer if your making some of the finer adjustments on the scope placement.

The bow itself is pretty heavy (almost 9lbs) but I knew that before I ordered so no surprise there. The plus side is it appears to be solid and well made. It has placement for a sling which I just invested in a cheap one today and I don't think it will be bad at all carrying it into the woods.

I was impressed with the scope. Heavy, well made scope. Those red dots are garbage and I was afraid the 4x32 scope would be of low quality. I'm very happy with it. I posted a picture up in the item pictures showing the scope. The stock photo on amazon displays the wrong scope. I thought people might be interested in seeing the actual scope that comes with it.

I shot the bow today with mixed results. I had to make a few adjustments on the scope to get it in but overall it was pretty consistent and made sighting it in easy. I have it hitting right on at 20 yards. Once I was happy with that I tried to use a broadhead. DO NOT USE STANDARD BROADHEADS. I shot a couple of them. At the high speeds that this bow throws, you will experience severe planing. I had no control where those bolts went. I would recommend something lower profile. Today I decided to go ahead and order what barnett recommended which was the Barnett X Blades. I will update this review once I get a chance to use them.

I would say overall value, this is a great bow. It expect it to last for years and years. There were some complaints on strings so I have been waxing the heck out of it every couple shots. I bought this bow last week for $380 on amazon...They currently have it priced down to $349, which irritates me a little but oh well, still a good price I think at $380.

Update: After 2 seasons of use, I can say the string is still good to go for another one. It's been out in the snow, rain, cold, and heat many times. Everything still functions perfectly. I keep the string pretty well waxed. Last week I started practicing again for this season and, just for fun, we set a target out at 85 yards. The crossbow was dead on. I had to hold way over, but left and right it was perfect. It was consistent at every distance. I bet with a little playing around this thing would shoot over a hundred yards but I ran out of scope. I still recommend this bow. It is the best value for your money.
review image
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
This is my first crossbow and it was pretty easy to setup. The 4x32 Scope is well made and with the right arrows and broadheads it is VERY accurate. The cheap Easton bolts and field points that come with it were all over the place when I tried to sight it in. But with some Carbon Express Surge 20" bolts and Rage 125gr mechanical broadheads I had tight groupings with only a few shots (use the Rage target point). I hunted with it for the first time last Saturday and as luck would have it a 220lb 8 point marched right across in front of my stand about 20 yards out. The bolt went clean through and that beauty of a buck went only 200 yards and fell down. Keep the factory included bolts for unloading shots, use quality bolts and points for hunting. Wax it frequently, with all that power it may use up the string quickly if you don't take care of it. It's a great crossbow and works well.
on September 20, 2013
As a crossbow novice I did a quick Google and YouTube search and chose Barnett as a reputable made-in-USA manufacturer, and the C5 as a supposedly light weight and affordable model available on Amazon Prime.
Assembly and setup were fairly straight-forward, although the directions and photos in the manual were not the clearest. The slider for the cables has to go on before the bow is attached to the stock. The assembled unit appears very well constructed and durable.
Cocking is impossible without rope or crank. My Barnett rope cocking device did not arrive with the bow, and I made one with nylon rope and wooden dowels which worked fine with little effort. $80-100 crank not needed.
Initial shooting showed me that some kind of shooting rest was mandatory, even this "lighter weight model" being pretty hefty. The stock and shooting posture are comfortable. The trigger pull is fairly light and smooth. The bow is very loud compared to a compound bow, but most internet forums say that you can't silence them without performance reduction, and the speed of the bolt makes the noise a negligible factor hunting. The little reticle Barnett scope is pretty good.
First shots at 20 yards were erratic over a 2 foot square target.Going back to the manual I found that I was not centering the string after cocking. I measured and marked a clear center point and easily manipulated one bow limb to center-much better. The target bolts passed through a thick, dense archery target block plus a 1/4 inch ply backing, so an adequate target is a quest.
5 stars based on construction and materials, price/value, ease of handling, shooting comfort, promising target reliability with practice.
on March 13, 2015
The Barnett Wildcat C5 is a horrible crossbow.

I order things off Amazon regularly, and pretty much all of the time I get great products. This however is not one of those items. I felt compelled to write a review. It was fine out of the package. No issues assembling the crossbow. After I put about only 100 arrows through the crossbow, the top rail mount that you use to attach scopes literally popped off after I shot an arrow. The rail mount is attached by a few screws that secure it to the crossbow. Each individual screw ripped off, leaving the remaining pieces of the screws stuck in the crossbow screw holes. Half in and half out. The crossbow is unusable until I take it to get fixed. By the way, I never treated the crossbow in a rough manner. It was never dropped or anything. Still basically brand new. I only shot it 100 times (ish).
review image review image review image
on November 30, 2014
Just killed my first doe this season with my new Wildcat. Shot was taken from about 25-30 yds, and bolt when straight thru no problems. With a cocking tool/string, drawing it back is a breeze even in the tree stand. My only complaint is that the red dot scope that came with the kit broke after a couple shots...seriously broke. The glass inside the scope broke as if the thing was dropped. However, Upon contacting customer service, Tammy was very helpful and did not hesitate to send me out a new one, after I shipped the broken one back...on my dime of course. Overall...great bow and fun to shoot.
on March 28, 2014
I absolutely love this bow. It is a blast to shoot. This is my first crossbow so I have a lot of learning to do. One tip I can pass on is to make sure you have and use your cable slide. When you assemble to bow, which was easy to do, don't forget the slide. I didn't put mine on and my cables started fraying after about 40 shots. Just a newbie lesson. I like the scope and the different levels of cross-hairs it comes with. It always shoots straight. Other than my cable problem, which was my error, this bow has been great. If I had to mention something negative I would say it is fairly heavy. I'm sure it is normal for most crossbows, especially in this price range. You will want to shoot with a support of some kind. I can shoot pretty accurately while just holding the crossbow, but it gets heavy after a while. I will be investing in a monopod and seeing how that works. I would absolutely recommend this bow to anyone. It has plenty of power. I bought a target bag when I bought my bow. I zeroed in my scope with the bag in my house (from my living room to my kitchen). It was about 35 feet. Once it was zeroed, I hit the same spot 3 times in a row. The arrow went completely through the bag and stuck into my dishwasher door. Funny, but not very cool. I enjoy the power this crossbow has. I bought the rope cocking device because I wasn't sure I could handle the 150 lbs since I have had a recent back surgery. I like to use the rope cocking device because I heard you get better accuracy from it. However, I can pull and set the string with my bare hands. It is kind of hard, but my 18 year old, 15 year old and I can get pull it back. I really like this bow.
on August 31, 2015
Great trigger and the scope is actually pretty good. clear glass for the price. Sighted in the first line at 20 yards and the lines under hold pretty true to shoot 20,30,40 yds respectively. Sling points are also solid for any standard hunting sling. Bought the Barnett rope cocker which makes pulling the string back an ease. Cant wait to go get a deer with this.
on December 22, 2015
This is a great crossbow. I purchased this to replace another and I have not been disappointed. It takes a few minutes to assemble the crossbow and be sure to READ THE DIRECTIONS! I had to take something apart and reassemble twice, because I did not read the directions first. Once assembled It was a breeze to sight in the scope. My only complaint is that there was no cocking rope included, but aside from that this is a top notch product.
on October 20, 2012
Wonderful crossbow for the intermediate practitioner. It's made of quality composites and is thoughtfully designed. The strings even come pre-waxed. The scope, as mentioned in a previous review is not the shoddy little red dot site. It is the 4x32mm multi reticle scope, which runs about $85 if purchased separately. It's a pretty well balanced shooter, maybe a tad bit front heavy, but vibration is minimal considering this price range. Make sure to keep your rail waxed and check the screws frequently, because while vibration is minimal, it still vibrates, and will jar the screws loose. Also check the included arrows that come with it. Mine didn't include the field points, only the bolts themselves. Overall, it's a great crossbow, and the package deal can't be beaten.
on October 19, 2012
Received crossbow 2 hours ago and only took 6 shots to center bullseye. Can't beat that!! Would highly reccomend this weapon to any hunter. Cant wait to get into the field with it for some deer hunting. First year in Illinois that allows archers to hunt with crossbow from Dec. 3rd thru end of season. Its about time!!

Have had this crossbow for 3 days now and can't put it down. Couldn't have made a better choice than Barnett. Saw a giant 8pt. buck during archery season(compound bow)that never presented a shot at 35yds. With this crossbow in my hands that deer would have found a place on my wall. I am sighted in to 40yds. I watched a UTUBE video on sighting in scopes for a crossbow, worked perfectly!! Highly recommend video to anyone sighting in scope.