Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 300 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 548 reviews
on March 26, 2017
Not much I can add to what has already been said, this is simply a beautiful movie. It's pace is slow, yes, but that only gives you time to appreciate each scene and the images on screen in the same way you would spend time appreciating a painting. This is a film to watch when you want to dive in and get lost for a few hours.
on February 3, 2015
This is one of the best movies I've seen recently. The photography is fantastic; what can be said about a movie that was shot using natural light? The story is very intricate and has that characteristic Kubrick "feel" to it that some would consider slow and/or boring, but which I find entertaining and essential to the build up of his films. It is definitively not a film for everyone, but for those who have patience, thoughtfulness and taste for this type of movie (or Kubrick's style), then this is a film that may well be enjoyed.
on October 8, 2012
Don't need to review Barry Lyndon here... If you know about it, chances are I won't enlighten you any further.
Regarding the Blu-Ray release of this movie, it is undoubtedly one of the best looking Kubrick releases to date, in my opinion. Picture quality is so perfect for the candlelit scenes. Audio is superb. Overall a very good quality product.
On the low end, I'd like to mention the very poor menu options. The only extra is the theatrical release trailer. Bare bones but, when bare bones is Barry Lyndon on full 1080p and uncompressed audio, I give it a 5 start and that's the end of that.
on December 22, 2013
There are some people who just don't learn from their mistakes, and Barry Lyndon is one of them. Lyndon is a rather emotional rip-off and con man who escapes his native Ireland after he "kills" a British officer over a woman...his cousin...whom they both love. Barry is partially dominated by his mother and by his own stupidity. He learns nothing about himself, responsibility, women..or horses for that matter! Later he is at considerable odds with his step-son, Lord Bullington, both as a child and later as an adult. Barry comes from poverty, moves into riches, and goes back to poverty once again. Set in the Georgian era of England and the war with Napoleon, Barry travels across war-torn Europe. There are several battle scenes and a great deal of colorful marching. The scenery, both real and recreated, is stunning; the music rousing. It may be a little long in some places (I think I could easily cut 30 minutes from this film with a little creative editing), but it is a real spectacle for the eyes and ears. Barry Lyndon...you'll feel sorry for him, you'll hate him, but you will stay with him to the inevitable end of his spectacular journey.
on October 15, 2015
possibly Kubrick's best, though I am partial to period costume dramas. Ryan O'Neil does a very credible job as the scoundrel Redmond Barry. Cinematography is spectacular making full use of excellent on location scenery and superb costumes. Soundtrack, mixing classical works with the Chieftans is also top-notch. In the end, it is that rare lengthy period drama that holds your attention throughout.
on August 18, 2014
I read the book many years ago and barely remember the details, but this is one of my favorite films of all time. The acting and directing are so incredibly brilliant that I must say it's one of the top 20 films of all time for me. Ryan O'neil is brilliant as a feisty youth who is not always in control of his urges and emotions, which frequently lead him from one misadventure to another. And yet, his character Redmond Barry manages to survive the many ups and downs he is subjected to during the turmoil of Europe's many wars, and he manages to land himself into an entirely new role, that of a gentleman who marries into titled nobility, and from then on, it seems that all of Barry's past ills will be but a bad memory, erased by a brilliant future in high society, with a large state, influential friends, a beautiful noble lady as a wife and large sums of money at his disposal to do with as he wishes. But that is just the start of his downfall for the story relates well at the end, that whatever situation a man finds himself in, from rags to riches or whatever environment, he must first and foremost change himself from within before the rest of his life can change for the better as well.
on March 17, 2014
Watching this movie is similar to walking thru the finest art museums of Europe. Every frame will seem hauntingly familiar, as though you had seen a painting, somewhere, that reminded you of what you are now viewing. Without a doubt, this is the most wonderful cinematography ever made. In truth, the story line is secondary to the primary purpose--to show off the art of composition, lighting, framing, design, and all the other elements of the visual arts. Kubrik's deep knowledge of 18th and 19th century painting and of that era's music combine to form a visual and aural delight. In addition, fans of character development, of costuming, and of period pieces will not be disappointed.
on October 31, 2012
Having never read the Thackery novel this movie was based on, I would still have to say the author would have been well pleased at the outcome. I have no idea how much, if any, the novel differs from the film but the film is just beautiful, and the blu-ray is so much better than the standard issue dvd I bought years ago. This is the way I remember it when it was in the theater in what? 1976? It is so sharp and clear and there are no black bars top, bottom, or sides of the screen. I don't know about aspect ratios or any of that, but I have a widescreen tv and it fills the screen completely.

I love the narration, and the lovely landscapes are indeed like paintings. Terrific music. I would highly recommend adding this to your collection. I go back and forth between this and The Godfather for my favorite film, somedays it's one, somedays it's the other and somedays it's a tie.
on May 6, 2016
One of the most beautifully shot films in cinematic history!!! and a must see in HD even if you've seen it before on regular DVD. The images are sharp and clearer than ever. Kubrick found this unique camera lenses to shoot in natural light. All costumes are real antiques!!! It's really like going back in time to the 18th century!! Although to many the story is slow and a little boring but the film is beautiful in captures you all the way through!!! The pace in my opinion is captured perfect. Let's face time was a lot slower back then. One of my favorite pictures of Kubrick - I would say definitely 2nd to 2001 A Space Odyssey!!
on July 20, 2015
I bought this tea in London and loved it. It definitely has a distinct flavor and is great in the afternoon. I was bummed when I finished the tin I had bought because I couldn't find it in stores in the US. I searched for it online and found it on Amazon so I ordered it. The price is pretty decent considering it is shipped from the UK. I will likely keep ordering it as I run out.