Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on March 26, 2013
Dr. James Schaller has performed the often thankless job of alerting the American public to the reality of the near epidemic prevalence of Babesia and Bartonella. A Columbia University study revealed Bartonella was the most common infection found in ticks. "A 2004 PCR analysis of I. Scapularis ticks in New Jersey discovered that a higher percentage of ticks were infected with B. henselae than any of these other pathogens."

As Dr. Schaller explains, existing available Bartonella testing is mostly inadequate for this bacterial infection which is highly immune suppressive. Most labs only test for two of at least thirty known Bartonella species and Bartonella bacteria are frequently shielded from the immune system, by biofilms. Indirect immune markers, such as IL 1 beta and IL 6, hormones such as MSH or VIP, inflammatory markers, such as C3a, C4a and MMP help point diagnosis more toward Bartonella or co-occuring infections, including Borrelia, Babesia and Ehrlichia.

Unfortunately, many of the dermatological photos could also be caused by dermographia, due to allergies or excess histamine production.

This book would be much more useful, if thorough case histories, including all of the test results, Fry smears and responses to treatment, used to diagnose and distinguish Bartonella, from other co-infections or excess histamine, were provided.

I am not second guessing the Bartonella diagnosis or Dr. Schaller's integrity. The Bartonella diagnosis is a complex difficult one to make, since so many other possibilities need to be eliminated.

Dr. Schaller should be commended for his willingness to continue treating other Physician's treatment failures, his persistence and dedication to advancing understanding of tick borne disease testing and treatment and his determination to not give up on difficult patients.

I hope Dr. Schaller's new book on biofilms might fill in some of the blanks that this book did not.

Steven Sponaugle
on July 9, 2016
The best treatment I have seen for bartonella is NUTRAMEDIX brand Stevia. This is the best quality extract and for bartonella it is superior to Dr. Schaller's houttuynia, IMO. I take it sublingually, along with livionex (activated DHEA) for enhanced action. That is my finding as a patient.

For Lyme I have had some success with honeybee venom/livionex and bismuth/livionex but these treatments stopped working.
on June 16, 2012
3/4 or more of this book is photos. The text tells you the same things you can find for free ONLINE about this disease.
Basically, some meds help but there is no "cure".

Don't waste your money
on December 25, 2009
I have been suffering from Bartonella for several years. I ordered this book thinking that it was full of informative information about the disease. The price of around $60 was ridiculous, however I was willing to pay it to fins answers to my disease. Whoever decided to price this book is robbing people. The poor Bartonella stricken community are looking for answers to this devastating disease and this book was a complete scam and solely a money-maker. This book hardly had any factual information and consisted of repeated pictures throughout. I would not ever recommend this book. I'd actually like to return it for a refund of possible. Thank you.
55 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
I have this book of Dr. Schaller's as well as his book on Babesia. I have been battling these diseases, along with Lyme Disease and other coinfections, for nearly 10 years. Bartonella is my greatest challenge, which has not responded to the typically prescribed Bartonella antibiotics or even many of the herbs. I have referred to this book often as well as have used it when I've helped mentor new patients as a Lyme Disease educator/volunteer/advocate. I developed edema several years into treatment and quickly found photos in this book that confirmed my suspicion that this was from the Bartonella, and I have steered several patients to these photos regarding edema, the various rashes, and other signposts of this disease. Often times, newer patients or their family members/caregivers will ask, which disease is causing a specific symptom? While there is indeed overlap among these infections, I have helped many patients and their loved ones better understand which disease is causing which symptom by using Dr. Schaller's books - or at least let them know they are not the only ones with certain symptoms. My personal opinion of why there is some backlash against these books is that it can be discouraging to read how difficult these diseases may be to get under control. Some patients have responded fairly quickly to treatment, but in my case, as year after year goes by, and yet another Lyme doctor or naturopath gives up on me, I can relate to the fact that these diseases can be extremely stealthy, resilient and aggressive. No, I don't really want to hear it, but so far it has been the truth I live every day.