Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
on February 27, 2013
I agree with some others who have lamented the decline of the once great BP annual. It's a maddening book in the sense that it doesn't appeal as much to the hardcore anymore, yet isn't really that friendly to neophytes either.

If you are fairly new to sabermetrics you'll be scratching your head over the cursory explanations BP gives of the PECOTA system and other stats they use; you certainly won't get a good sense of what they really mean. Nor are all parts of the book itself adequately explained. What is the Lineouts section in each team report about? What do the subscript numbers in some of the IP lines stand for? Why is a manager credited for x number of stolen bases when his team actually stole 5x that number? Lots of examples where a new (or even more veteran reader) needs to dig through the intro again for clarity or be left to try and figure it out for themselves.

If you are part of the old guard you're aware that the actual analysis (and snark) keeps getting dialed back. True again for this year's book. I can find numbers anywhere online; I want to read more from BP about what that means to the player or the organization and I want it with the old-time BP humor. Oh well. There were some good one-liners in there at least.

I'll probably always buy BP's book to start the year, but I'll adjust expectations accordingly.

Collapse: 35%.
on February 27, 2013
I've been an avid reader of the annual since 2001 and have been subscribing to their site for almost as long. I love the substance and material covered and, while I too miss the research articles, don't think the material included has been "dumbed down" or limited relative to past annuals.

My problem is with the kindle version of the book. This is the first year I moved away from the bound version and the product I received is borderline unreadable. The player charts are broken up in such a way so to make them nearly useless and I was finding so many errors (Aroldis Chapman pitched 712 innings in 2012? Not even Dusty Baker is that sadistic) that I just stopped looking at the charts all together. Sometimes, moving backward and forward changes the formatting of the charts altogether.

I'm disappointed not with the content, but with the product. I sincerely hope they decide to release a .pdf version of the book or something similar. I will not buy this on the kindle in the future until these issues are resolved.

***UPDATE March 3, 2013: I contacted Baseball Prospectus regarding my issues with the Kindle version. I had a prompt response from Baseball Prospectus customer service who referred my issue to the publisher. Within 48 hours the publisher had contacted me and provided a solution that completely satisfied me. The customer service from both BP and the publisher were top notch. Given my complaint was with the product, not the content, I have amended my rating.
66 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In his essay in the back of this year's annual, Russell Carlton posits that by having to write about analysis every day, it's made the product weaker. You can't write new, cutting edge analysis on a regular basis. You've got to come up with a hypothesis, gather data and then test it. Or for those articles that are less quantitatively based, it's nigh impossible to write a fresh piece everyday (Gary Huckabay, Joe Sheehan and Steven Goldman did an awesome job with their daily writing, but even the three of them had their usual topics that they hit over and over again).

BP burst upon the scene in 1996. I discovered them in 1999 when Rob Neyer touted them in his ESPN column. Absolute intellectual and analytical heavyweights wrote for the annual and the website over the years: Gary Huckabay, Joe Sheehan, Christina Kharl, Nate Silver, Steven Goldman, Jay Jaffe, Kevin Goldstein, Voros McCraken, Will Carrol, Keith Law, Jonah Keri, Rany Jazzeryelli (I never spell his name correctly) and a host of others. Sadly, they have all moved on to other things (the brain drain was especially strong over the last 2 1/2 years).

The first 10 annuals had new essays with all kinds of different findings and theories. The essays disappeared (they are back, but alas, there are only 2 of them). The player comments have grown shorter, less biting and less analytic. The team essays were usually stellar, but now they have been diminished as well (they are much shorter and basically a summary of what happened in 2012).

BP was small and had a hard-core, very bright readership that watched a lot of baseball. As they've grown, their best people moved on to try on new things and make more money. They had every right to, and it is ridiculous to think that those giants would be easily replaced. Readership has expanded, and BP focuses more and more on fantasy every year (which is fine, but some fantasy players watch very little baseball). They used to be baseball outsiders, but because of their great insight and analysis, they became baseball insiders. And then they grew less snarky and less analytical. The business model of BP has been a success, but the product has suffered. It's a real shame.

The annual is still good, and probably better than almost everything else on the market, and I'll probably continue to buy their products. Until something else comes along.
on September 3, 2013
It is cold outside. It is February. But there are signs that spring is around the corner. They days are getting longer. The pitchers and catchers are just getting to Florida. And the newest Baseball Prospectus arrives. This annual precursor of spring is a cornucopia of baseball information. IT is a book for the serious baseball to curl up with and get ready for the season. It is the bible for the serious fantasy baseball fan. There are essays on a variety of topics, team information and for me, a fantasy geek, the meat-and-potatoes part of the book--player information. Prospectus gives me a look at the players past performance and a projection for the next year in a way not other baseball publication does. Wins Above Replacement and other statistical tools have given me a better perspective by far than any traditional statistical benchmark. I get good data for the MVP down to the last LOOGY plus minor leaguers. Not for the average fan who still believes that RBIs and Gold Glovers are true metrics but for the serious fan. Someone whose book has writing in the margins, sections highlighted and pages dog-eared.
Each year, these days, I start the baseball season with several volumes that come out each year. And this is one of those. One of the cool things about this book is its projections about performances of players in the coming baseball season. And it is fun after the season is done to check out how well the volume's projections turned out!

PECOTA represents the projection. One of the fascinating elements of this book is the prediction as to what kind of year a player will have: breakout, improve, collapse, and attrition.

The Washington Nationals are an interesting team to consider. A lot of young players. Can they do well this year as they did last? This book is bullish on the team for 2013. Bryan Harper? The projection is a season rather like last year. I wonder if this might not be a year where he significantly improves. So, too, Ryan Zimmerman. The third baseman's projection is similar to his performance in 2012. Finally, Stephen Strasburg. As with the other two, a season rather similar to 2012.

My personal favorite team is the Chicago White Sox. What about them? Adam Dunn, two years ago, had one of the most horrifically bad seasons around. Last year, he "improved" to hit .204, although his power figures and RBIs increased dramatically. Projections? A .222 batting average, 30 home runs, and 88 RBIs. Not bad, but a crummy batting average. Paul Konerko has been amazingly consistent over the years. The prediction is a slight decline but--overall--another solid year. A pitcher, Chris Sale, seemed very promising last year. The proje4ctions are modest, though: 9-5 record, with a solid ERA of 3.05.

The last part of the book identifies the top 101 prospects, from # 1 (Jurickson Profar) to # 101 (Delino DeShields Jr.).

As always, a lot of fun, even when I'm not so sure about the projections.
on May 13, 2013
This is a birthday tradition - every year I give my husband the Baseball Prospectus (his birthday is in March- just before baseball season starts). I can't understand why he loves it so much- no plot!- but he depends on this to keep up with statistics or something-don't ask me- all I know is he wants this- I get it for him- and he's happy- and so am I (of course we're even happier when the Red Sox are winning-but that is another story).
on April 18, 2017
Love it!
on March 19, 2013
I got my copy last week. Last year, the Kindle version was slightly cheaper than the printed version; in 2013, the Kindle version is about $9 more (which does not make sense to me), so I purchased the printed version. The articles relating to individual teams are not as detailed as they were in previous years; this year, they are about 2 pages long. Generally speaking, the articles do not seem as compelling as they were. Nonetheless, the book offers a lot of information for the price (currently listed at $16.34), and the book contains its annual list of the top 101 prospects, as well as "2012: The Year in Sabermetrics". The book is still a valuable resource to anyone participating in a fantasy league or is just an armchair GM.
on August 16, 2014
The writing in the recent editions is less interesting than it was 4-5 years ago when I started reading and studying these. This is a must-have for any baseball fan including any fantasy baseball fan. This will help identify players who are going to regress or breakout. It's a fun and interesting way to see why your team really did what it did, instead of just thinking that so and so really "inspired" the team. The stats are interesting and the narrative is good and insightful and humorous. The writing has lost a bit of an edge lately.
on March 21, 2013
While I love BP, I have to admit that I am disappointed with this year's edition. This year, BP decided to scaled back the length of the team pages to make more room for individual player evaluations. While I suppose the book improved its usefulness to fantasy baseball players, the overall effect was to make the book far less interesting to me. I hope that they go back to the long, in depth team pages next year.

One other thing - I probably would recommend buying the book over the Kindle version. The players stats tables just don't translate very well to either the iPad or iPhone.