Basic Cake Decorating
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have you ever wanted to take a CAKE DECORATING CLASS but couldn't find the time?
Is it hard to squeeze the extra money from your budget to take a class?
Have you ever wanted to learn how to decorate cakes for your familys birthdays?
Is cake decorating a skill you want your children to learn as part of their Home Economics course?
Do you have a child that loves to be in the kitchen creating things?
At a fraction of the cost of taking classes, you can learn the basic techniques in the privacy and convenience of your own home.
Then Basic Cake Decorating is for you!!!
This DVD will take you through:
*How to bake and ice a two-layer cake and a sheet cake
*How to use decorating bags and tips
*How to mix icing and colors
*How to make beautiful shell borders, open roses, rosebuds, stems and leaves.
*How to write the words.
*How to make clowns that sit up and lie down
*How to decorate with the star tip
*You will learn how to fix mistakes when they happen...they WILL happen!
You can take these same skills and apply it to decorating cookies and cupcakes!
If you want to know how to decorate lovely cakes for birthdays or special occasions and DON'T have the time or money to invest in taking Wilton classes, this is the product for you. I would have saved myself so much time and money if I had had this video when I first took classes. Here are some reasons I appreciate Kathy's video:
* The video's organization. The video is divided into important areas of decorating knowledge: supplies needed, recipes for decorator frosting, decorating tips and their purposes, and more. The amount of information provided is just what you need to know in order to begin the process of cake decorating.
* Kathy's pleasant speaking voice. Kathy is so likeable- from the first moment you hear her Alabama drawl. You will feel like you are in the kitchen cooking with a friend (albeit a very talented, experienced friend).
* The DVD format. The fact that you can review information when/as needed is crucial in learning good cake decorating skills. The DVD format makes that easy to do. If you can't remember how to do a perfect shell, simply return to that part of the DVD. If you need to jot down a recipe or list, pause the DVD.
* The close-ups. Seeing the piping bag so closely (as well as the angle at which it is held) is a huge plus over taking regular classes. Truthfully, I never saw my instructor's hand closely (I had to crane my neck to actually see my instructor at times), so seeing the "close-ups" really help to get your angle correct- which hugely impacts how your frosting appears.
* The fact that Kathy herself "messes up"…and she shows you how to fix it. I appreciated this! In my cake decorating classes, my instructor NEVER messed up- therefore, we never knew how to fix our mistakes! Kathy shows you how to repair dropped garlands and more. Cake decorating is an art, and even artists at times need to correct mistakes on their canvases. I appreciated Kathy showing how to correct those inevitable boo-boos, rather than pretending that everything always goes as planned.
Now, for some additional information: If you are looking for tutelage on how to do everything when it comes to cake decorating, you will be severely disappointed. I've taken 3 classes, can make wedding cakes, and still don't know all there is to know! This video delivers what it promises: basic cake decorating skills. Cake decorating takes lots of practice, so be prepared to take time to learn! I think this is a fantastic video for getting your feet , and it will have you easily creating lovely cakes for your family without the usual expense in getting started. --The Sparrow's Nest
My daughter and I watched our Cake Decorating DVD today, and I was most impressed! Kathy explains things so well, and makes it look so easy that my daughter made a cake right after watching! (And did a great job.) The video is full of details like how to hot-knife the icing, or keep the cake from crumbling, and how to make all kinds of basic designs. Whether you're a beginner or just need some brushing up, this DVD is just right. My favorite part is that my girls can have a detailed class on one of the home-arts, without ever leaving the house. And for a mother of seven, that's worth a lot!" --Kelly Crawford of Generation Cedar
My grandchildren had earned their cake decorating badge in their Keepers at Home Club, and they all just loved cake decorating. When I saw Kathy's DVD on cake decorating, I thought it might be just the thing to further their interests and increase their skills. I was not disappointed! Kathy did an excellent job in both explaining and demonstrating the skills. Kathy's DVD will help anyone learn to decorate a cake. It was well done! --Keepers of the Faith
Top customer reviews
I got more understanding how to make rosebuds in an easy fashion
I have already took a lesson but I still need smething to look at time to time to refresh my memory
I would recomend it to someone that is interest in cake decorating