Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on April 17, 2010
In my opinion this book could be used by anyone interested in learning about basic radio principles with very little (if any) prior knowledge about the subject. I wish I had this book when I was a teenager. The ARRL or American Radio Relay League has always had very good publications by very good authors. One of my first books published by the ARRL was Understanding Amateur Radio, 2nd edition, 1971. Basic Radio is actually easier to understand. If the reader should have additional questions about terms, definitions of words, etc. they can usually be found through web searches. But in most cases the author does so well at explaining, if the reader takes a little longer to absorb the information, and/or reads the passage again, they should grasp the full impact of the authors meanings. Very, very well written! The author begins with radio principles dating back over 100 years ago and explains in very elementary terms how far radio electronics has come over the years.

I bought Basic Radio to teach my communications club students about radio. Anyone with at least a 6th grade reading level should be able to understand if they take their time reading the information.
on July 28, 2015
Wish I knew about this book earlier. Really brings the new ham up to speed on the basics of radio. Good to have some knowledge of electronics to make this book even more readable. You get to know the history behind radio and its development to the superhet. There is a lot of information in almost every sentence and Hallas keeps up a fast pace. Best to take time to try to understand what is being said and try to answer the questions at the end of every short chapter. I now understand my Kenwood TS-2000 and why I have the controls I have. Wish I had read this book 2 years ago but better late than not at all. I want to understand what is going on and this book really sorts out the why and how radio works. You may need to reread sections several times to get the most out of this book and fully understand what Hallas is teaching. That is my only criticism. I have read up to chapter 15 but I feel I still need more time rereading some chapters up to 15. If the radio section is a judge of this book, I am confident the propagation and antennas in chapter 15 to 25 will be equally great. KC9ZSR
on January 30, 2017
When I first opened the Basic Radio book and tried to read it, it was way too difficult for me. Having recently got my General Class Ham License, the only background I had in radio electronics was from studying the electronics chapters in the ARRL's and Gordon West's General Class study manuals. I wanted to learn more at a practical level, so I ordered several diy radio kits such as Elenco AM and FM, Vellmans's, and 2 different Chinese radio kits. I successfully built all these radios and although I was very proud that they worked, I wasn't learning much about how the radio functioned (although I did learn to solder quite well).

I decided to backtrack and make a children's crystal radio because the first project in the Basic Radio book dealt with building one, but I put the book back on the shelf because it was still too hard for me due to the fact that I didn't understand the schematics and the narratives in general. Instead, I started using the internet and YouTube videos. Using these resources, I successfully built 5 different crystal sets. Then using the internet, I learned how to modify each radio using various capacitors, resistors, etc. Then I eliminated the crystal earpiece by amplifying using transistor/s, then I progressed to amplifying using the LM386, then I learned how to eliminate the long antenna and ground wires by using a ferrite coil etc. With this said, I'm now building AM radios from scratch. I mention all this because having done all these little projects and experimented making these circuits by hand, I pulled the Basic Radio book back off the shelf and Lo and Behold all this info was already in the book; I just didn't understand it. So, although the title says Basic Radio, it's tough if you don't have any radio or electronic knowledge, but I gave it 5 stars because the step-by-step info is there for you, but radio science which this books keeps simplistic, is not easy if you have no background. You must research, get your hand dirty, and experimentation is a must to get a better understanding.
on February 24, 2017
What a great refresher! It takes you from the very beginning of radio reception, up through super-het construction, with some sample projects to boot! I found it very easy to understand (you do need some basic understanding of electronics and physics, but not a lot), and also easy to follow. The writing style is very clear. Indeed, I made it through all of the material on receivers and transmitters in a matter of two days. There is also some information on propagation, antennas, and antenna modeling, which I didn't read, since I wasn't interested in those topics. Great job, Mr. Hallas!
on September 16, 2013
I am only on chapter two and I am already disappointed. In explaining the most simple crystal radio, much of the essential explanation is left out. In the first schematic, a smoothing filter is included. If you happen to notice a small footnote directing the reader to the companion Basic Electronics, you can find the explanation there. In the next schematic a transformer, variable capacitor and another resistor are all added without mention or explanation. How a modern diode replaces a crystal is also not explained. These to me are careless omissions and also reflect a lack of attention by the editor if there was one. For one who understands how these various components work in theory, it remains unclear how they together form a simple radio. A few additional sentences in this chapter would have made a huge difference and gotten the reader off to a much better start. I expected better.
on December 14, 2010
I want to say first that I have some college level courses in network analysis, which include the basic dc, ac and semi-conductors. With that being said, this book is a good overview of how to combine the components to make them function as a radio. This book does not go deep into the math of the circuits.

It is laid out well, each stage is covered by a chapter in the book and each one builds upon the previous.

If you are a mid-level under grad looking for a light overview of radio design, this is a great book. It is a fast read and written in a conversational style.
on August 21, 2015
the author was wrong about the possibility of EMP attacks though. He needs to read more, and then write about it.
on March 18, 2013
This book is a good tool to help you understand not only the structure and designs of the RADIO of today but also show you how and why the radios of yesterday developed. If you want to really understand what is happening when you turn on your radio or what happens when you push the button on the side of your microphone, THIS is the book to start with.
on January 27, 2013
For decades the detector in a radio receiver has been said to rectify as in a power supply and this is the first so called 'basic' book to dispel the myth. My hat's off to helping to change the paradigm shift away from an incorrect and outdated way of understanding demodulation.
on December 29, 2012
Wish I had this book sooner. Seems to help me "click" on some things that were a bit fuzzy. If you are just starting to learn about wireless, mobile technology (the way it works, not phone features), or RF ... this is the best FIRST BOOK.