Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 170 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 187 reviews
on March 20, 2016
These are great boots so far. I have been wearing these for two weeks now, and I'm enjoying them thoroughly. The actual look and design of these boots is very mean and rugged. Very well made, good stitching, looks like it's going to last.

Side zipper is a nice feature. The zipper feels tough and durable. It's very nice to have after a long night of walking on concrete and asphalt where untying your boots just feels like too much effort at the moment.

Break in period was relatively short (Six days of constantly walking at work). However it was a bit painful. I might recommend breaking these in at home before wearing them on duty. The insoles felt good immediately, but the sides of the boot seemed to dig in right at the ankle. A bit painful but as the break in period was short so it doesn't really matter.

The tread on these boots is where they really shine. They really give you just an awesome grip on the ground. I feel like I could comfortably walk up a 70° incline in these bad boys. No boot I have ever worn comes close in this department.

The ICS system is incredibly comfortable. I really don't feel any difference in the comfort settings, so I feel that's just a clever gimmick to seem cool and innovative. It's still incredibly comfortable either way, so I really don't care if it isn't actually adjustable. The front of the sole also had a gel worked into it for added comfort.

The only real con I have is that the heel rides too high for my personal tastes. This is just a personal preference, and it was easily fixed. I took the insoles out of the old pair of shoes I had, cut them in half, and glued the front half to the Bates insoles. Now I feel like I'm walking on more of a flat surface which is how I like it.

All in all I'm very pleased after my initial two weelks. I can't speak to longevity yet, but if I have any issues with this in the coming months I'll be sure to update my review accordingly.
on December 12, 2013
I'm a firearms instructor an I'm on my feet for most of the day. These boots only took 2 days to break in. Definitely more comfortable than my previous 5.11 ATAC boots. The sole is very aggressive which I like. Although the padding in the heel makes you feel like you're wearing heels. 4 stars only because I've only worn them for 2 weeks. I hope they hold up. If they do the next pair will get 5 stars.

UPDATE
4 months later, and they're still holding up well. In fact they're even more comfortable now that they're really broken in. No tears, rips, failing stitching, or stuck zippers. The only con that I have is that the footbed, cushioning, or insole makes a squeaking sound when I walk. It's kind of weird. I've wiped it out with a damp cloth, and also tried putting foot powder under the insole. Nothing has helped so far. I'm going to change out the insoles and see if that works. I'd still buy another pair though.
on April 8, 2015
I'm a member of a Tactical Police Unit and found these boots really disappointing for 3 reasons.
1) Not water proof at all. The tongue and zip have no gussets, so water streams in even with puddles or wet grass. Why even make a 8 inch boot that isn't at the very least splash proof.
2) The cosmetic design (raised stripes) along the side of the boot and the large ankle area laces eyelets, stops the boot flexing when running/walking and the boot digs into the front of the ankle joint. (Even after a concentrated 3 week breaking in period)
3)The ICS system is a gimmick and makes the boot feel high in the heel. It makes the boot feel unstable during fast changes in direction such as room clearance training etc.

I bought these concerns to BATES BOOTS attention via email and they dismissed my concerns saying, we don't advertise them as 'Waterproof' ........and that was it.

I will say, the stitching appeared strong for a made in China boot and it was great to find a wide fit boot. Over the breaking in period the sole flexed and absorbed shock well even for a non-Vibram boot. But to be frank, Bates disappointed me and I would not recommend them to anyone on teams. Spend a bit more, get a Salamon or TR boot.
on March 5, 2013
Upon arrival, the boot was uncomfortable due to the ICS comfort system. For the first week of use, the nylon ring very noticeable and I didn't like it at all. fortunately, the ring needed a short break-in period and became more and more enjoyable. After being on my feet for up to 18hrs a day, my feet are no longer tired and hurting. There was no real break-in period for the boot itself (other than the comfort ring). I am enjoying these boot every DRY day.
The reason that I gave the boots only 4 stars is due to the fact that THEY ARE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM, WATERPROOF OR EVEN WATER RESISTANT! My feet get soaked in a short time, in rain. Don't even think about puddles! If you spend much time in wet or snowy conditions, I would not purchase this boot.
If I had it to do over again, I would get the Bates Delta 9 GTX with gortex lining.
on November 24, 2016
I love these boots and this is my second pair. They last as long as most Bates products do (1-2 years for everyday use). They are not the longest lasting boots that can be purchased but they definitely provide their money's worth. They start to separate at the seems of the boot and sole after about 1-2 years. I would describe my utilization of the boots as 4 to 5 days a week in semi harsh conditions. I was not as rough on these boots as some and I didn't sit at a desk either. These boots fit as described and are very comfortable. Excellent tread on the boots that have never given my a problem when climbing or running. Well worth the money!!!
on August 25, 2016
BATES BOOTS WITH THE ICS ADJUSTMENT ARE AWSOME. I AM 6'4" & 287lbs, ON MY FEET ALL DAY AS AN AUTOMECHANIC. THE RESISTANCE TO MOISTURE, OIL & HARSH CHEMICALS IS OUTSTANDING. THESE BOOTS THIS WILL BE MY 4TH PAIR & WORTH EVERY PENNY. GIVEN MY SIZE & HARSH WORK ENVIROMENT EACH PAIR LAST 12 TO 18 MONTHS.
on December 30, 2014
A loyal Bates user for over 20 years. Corrections Officer wearing 10 hours a day. After reading about the ics system, thought I'd stray from the Durashocks I usually purchase, and try this model. Very painful decision. Good looks, good weight, horrible fit. I have a welt where the top collar has dug into my shin. The eyelet point halfway down the boot is in such a position that it digs all day causing terrible soreness. Tried thicker socks. I have never written a bad review in my life, but steer clear of these boots. I politely contacted Bates and explained my problem, but they were very disinterested. They will exchange for defect only, not poor design. That clearly is my fault. So I will give them to my dog as an expensive fetch toy, and spend a little extra money for a different boot, backed by a company that values their customer.
on March 10, 2015
The shoes are very good quality. But I was a bit surprised by the adjustable heel support. The design is ingenious but it has the effect of turning the boots into elevator shoes. I am a good 2 inches taller in these boots than normal. This makes for a less stable ankle but the collar provides enough support to compensate. They were very stiff the first day I wore them but they are breaking in quickly. Also I am not used to an 8 inch boot and I made them too tight around the ankle at first. They started rubbing my ankle raw until I loosened the laces. Now they fit fine.
I love the side zipper. It makes them easy to take on and off. Again they were tight the first few days but they are loosening up and I'm sure they will slip on and off like an old worn baseball glove in a few weeks.
The only thing I plan to change about the shoes is to add some glued on side and toe protectors. I'm on my hands and knees a lot and I tear up the leather on the toes of my shoes pretty quickly. I would recomend the boots to others.
on April 1, 2016
As to fit, comfort and initial quality; Unparalleled. They really don't hold up like I had hoped. Since they do last as long as average shoes though, I could still justify the fifth star. I sent them back when the seams started coming apart and Bates gave me a "One time Exchange", which seemed a little conservative, though I just don't use them like a Hiker or Construction boot, and now I'm very satisfied! Just know that you CANNOT use them too hard or they will collapse on your toes. A job where you stand around for days, need the support of a boot and occasionally need to take off at a sprint; then this is most certainly your boot. Law Enforcement and Military Support roles are likely perfect.
on August 5, 2017
Terrible fit, wife is extra narrow, and worst example of a boot so far. I purchase cheap ones before that were much more comfortable than this. Sizing is way off, so don't expect to get the correct size.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.