Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 27, 2013
I had a pair of these for 15 years: I wore them dozens of times for various military duties or formal military balls, as well as to a variety of civilian black tie events and weddings (including my own!).

A couple of weeks ago they finally gave up the ghost and the uppers split from the sole (I have wide feet) and so I ordered the exact same style and size that I bought when I was an E-2 fresh out of AIT.

They got to my house the day before the black tie event I was attending, and the next day I threw them on with my tux and walked around Chicago's McCormick Place convention center for 4 hours and the shoes felt and looked great - fit perfectly and no break-in needed.

If you are looking for a comfortable, high quality, long lasting dress shoe for military or civilian use, look no further.
on May 30, 2017
I just received my shoes. They appear genuine, and the quality was as good as always with Bates.
This is about the 8th pair that I've ordered from Bates, but the first from Amazon. I wear them daily, about 8hrs a day.
They last about 6-8 months in these conditions, then as the 'plastic/leather' uppers age and dry out, they stiffen and begin to crack right at the flex point across the forefoot.. The soles way outlast the uppers. Use shoe stretchers every day to get an extra month or two..
on January 24, 2015
I bought these shoes about 3 months ago and wear them about 4 times a week. I am writing a review because many of the reviews scared me from buying these shoes and decided to buy them. The shoes are absolutely beautiful. There are no issues with them what so ever. The shoes really punch up your dress clothes as well. Not everyone wears theses kinds of shoes, let alone polish the ones they wear, so you stand out and look sharp and professional. My bosses and coworkers were worried I was job hunting. It was funny.

Note: If you work with a bunch of contractors that are ex military, they will call them "cheater" shoes. Honestly, I have spit-shined my fair share of shoes and take no offense to it. I think their jealous.

My normal shoe size is a size 12. I bought a 12D and its a perfect fit for me. There are ways of determining your exact shoe size. If you are not 100% sure, just look up online for how to measure your size. Its easy!

I also use to own a pair of these when I was in Civil Air Patrol. They held up extremely well under constant drill. They never fell apart or anything.
on August 11, 2013
I sent back another brand because the surface failed in the area my foot bent as I walked. I chose the Bates brand as they had been around a long time. I was pleased when I got the Bates shoes delivered and unpackaged. They seemed like a very well made shoe. I actually had to wait a few days before I could wear them. I put them on and the right shoe let my heel slide up and down. I thought this was odd but wore them anyway. I ended up putting in a 16 hour day and both my heels were blistered. The left shoe began to do the same as the right and it was funny to watch me walk by the end of the day. I finally had to put duct tape on my heels to get me through the remainder of the night. I got home and couldn't wait to get these shoes off. I woke up the next morning and grabbed a couple pieces of a heavier black tape similar to duct tape but namd after an ape. I put it on my heels then put my socks on and decided I was not going to go another day wearing tape on my heels just so I could wear a pair of shoes. I took the tape off and put on a pair of boots and headed off to work. My heels were pleased with this decision.

Normally, I buy shoes and have no problem with anything that is an 11 D. My feet just fit in most shoes. They didn't in these and were simply far too uncomfortable to wear. I think a breaking in period may have changed the fit but just didn't think I could do it.

I will abandon these type of shoes unless I can go to a retail store and try them on. Done taking chances. (Until a bargain comes along I can't pass up...)

I can't say I don't like the shoes as they were well made and looked great. They are heavier than some but I believe that will allow them to just last longer. I would recommend trying them on somewhere to find out exactly what size you need. Amazon is great about returning things but it's just a hastle not having something you want.
on December 2, 2017
A heavy shoe until you put them on then suddenly they don't feel heavy at all. I have a pair for work and have a pair for dressing up. Very comfortable all day long. Love the Vibram sole. Excellent shoe.
on April 8, 2015
The shoes look really nice but there is one severe problem: the sizes are wrong. I usually wear a size 101/2 EEE or 11 EEE so I bought a pair size 11 EEE. They were too big, to the point where they were sliding off my foot every other step. I returned those and ordered a pair of 10 1/2 EEE and the same exact thing occurred. Returning those now. I just bought a size 11 at my local PayLess and they fit perfectly. I don't l know if this company has odd sizes or they sent me mislabeled products but the shoes are not compatible with the sizes I have worn for the last 25 years or so. I am disappointed because they do look great but I can't testify to their feel.
on October 4, 2017
Looks as good as only Bates low quarters can.
on December 10, 2015
Awesome shoe for uniformed dress occasions. Compared mine to some others on my partners and found that they were shinier and didn't look plasticky or cheap. I also found that they are relatively comfortable. The size fits as expected but I went up half a size because I felt the toe box to be a little narrow for my own liking. (I typically wear a regular width shoe for reference).
on February 27, 2014
I typically wear a 13W in everything including boots. AAFES could not get me this shoe so I had to try my luck with sizing online. The 3E width is perfect for my normally W foot, but the size 13 is about (3/4" - 7/8") too long. I'm returning and ordering a 12/3E.
Quality wise...it's fine. The shoe feels light and properly forming.
on March 24, 2017
My husband wore it all night and said that not only did it fit well, but it was the most comfortable Army uniform shoe that he had purchased. And, he has tried several over the years.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.