Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 327 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 349 reviews
on October 4, 2015
The quality of Bates boots has gone downhill in the past 10 years. I thought I'd give the company one more chance and purchased these boots in hopes that they had addressed the defective durability issues. Results: They looked great out of the box and were comfortable to wear. After 3 months of daily wear they began tearing on the top of the boot where the lace flap connects to the boot near the base of the tongue. Inspection of damage revealed that the "leather" was so thin that it actually split like knife cuts in cheap plastic. I promptly stripped the boots of their laces and tossed the boots in the garbage can. Prior to this, my most recent pair of Bates boots - the Durashocks - lasted exactly one year and then the soles cracked across the bottom of the boots. When I was in the military, USA made Bates military contract boots were very durable and well made. These "made in China" versions are not durable for any type of duty work, but may be okay for occasional inspections or office wear. The price of these boots is very steep compared to the quality received. Unfortunately, this was the last pair of Bates boots.that I will buy.
on September 15, 2012
Lightweight, comfortable, inexpensive, good wear length... For the price, what more could one ask for?

While not an insulated boot, if you wear good winter socks, plenty warm enough for tramping around in light snow.

When I ride to Sturgis, I wear these instead of my regular riding boot because they are that comfortable. Have walked 23 miles in a pair of these without any aches or blisters.

Only gets four stars because if you don't unzip them all the way and try to force your foot into or out of them, you can damage the zipper. Use the zipper properly, and you will have no problems. Would prefer a metal zipper instead of nylon.
on September 24, 2012
If you are looking for boots that will withstand rain, mud, dirt, rough terrain, etc then look no further. These combat boots will keep your feet comfortable and dry. I bought mine for paintballing. The type of paintball I play is in heavily wooded areas. The fields have creeks, mud, swampy areas, trees, vegetation, hills, and more. I've played in the rain, hot weather, cold weather, etc and these boots have kept my feet feeling good. One day it started raining and didn't stop. While all the other players feet felt like they were swimming, my feet remained dry. I don't get blisters or any other problems with these either. And yes, I walk and stand for HOURS on in.

Pros:

- Price; that's always a first right? These boots aren't price crazy (I've seen combat boots for over $200).
- Durability; rough terrain isn't an issue for these boots
- Comfortable; while walking, running, and standing for hours, my feet didn't hurt too much
- Side Zip; makes the boots feel more secure around the ankle
- Lightweight; they don't make it feel like you are walking in water

Cons:

- I have yet to find anything wrong with these boots

===Bottom Line===

These boots are comfortable, durable, lightweight, and awesome looking. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking to get combat boots.
on July 14, 2015
I really really believe Bates boots were great boots at one point. But the quality now has just sunk. Within two days of buying these boots, the padding on the outside of the back of the boot (by the achilles tendon) just tore. I'm not the kind of person that takes off boots with the other foot by kicking the heel, so I have no idea why that padding tore in just two days of buying the boots. After about a little more than a month after buying the boots, the pleather on the toe of the boot started to take on a bubble effect. As if the pleather was lifting off the boot itself, ultimately the pleather peeled off the bubbles sections as if you were to pop a burn blister. Not a pretty sight. Honestly I didn't want to deal with the boots in the end so I ended up buying a different brand of boots.
on February 6, 2013
So. I have always had large and irregular feet, so normally I get extra wide shoes/boots. This is the first time I ever had boots "too wide". I wish I could send them back but I have worn them and I'll just have to get inserts.
Very good boots, though. Oh well.
on March 17, 2015
Good boot for a great price when I purchased; however, it took some time to get used to the extra space it has. I wear a 13 EEE and when I put my foot inside, the front width was perfect, but the rear was a little bigger than expected. Also, it seems longer than a 13, so I measured with a measuring tape and it is just shy of 13.5 inches, close to 13 1/4 maybe a little more, but not exactly 13.5 even though it says size 13 on boot. Width is easy to manage with slightly thicker socks, traction in snow and on ice is pretty good considering, and feet have stayed dry during the recent 2 day rain storm we had in JC, NJ. Like the boots, but not sure if I will buy again. The heels do hurt for some time before breaking them in, and while standing for long periods of time, which I do for work. I've tried other Bates boots before and these definitely are not worse, but there is always room for improvement, hence my 4 star rating. Maybe better cushioning for feet and shorten the length so it is closer to true fitting. My feet still slide even with the laces tied tight. But, quality material nonetheless on the outside. Would I recommend these... Sure, but if a better boot could be found for cheaper, definitely grab them especially if you've worn the other boots before and liked the feel. I think next time I will go back to my Rocky bbrand and keep these as back ups.
on February 7, 2015
A great company gone wrong. I work in the Corrections field and am on my feet for hours on end. In the beginning it felt like the same old boot that I was used to...then it changed. After 4 months the boot started cracking and after 5 months there are coin sized holes where the 'Leather' is separating from the cloth membrane on the inside of the boot. I am required to keep my boots shined so this has rendered the boot unusable. This is a shame due to the fact that there is still 80% tread still left on the bottom.
Don't buy this cheaper Chinese made alternative. I work inside a building all day and have limited contact with the elements so I can only imagine what they would look like after working in the rain and mud for a few months. I have 19 years in tactical boots with 16+ wearing Bates products and it seems in every new pair of boots, the quality drops. Not worth my hard earned money.
on September 5, 2014
I double checked my sizing based on Bates' own website and they still were too large. I have oddly shaped feet and can't rely on cookie-cutter sizing so whenever possible I go by the manufacturer's specs to be sure I get the right size. According to them I'm a 10.5, but after putting them on it seems I'm more like a 9 as I have a solid inch of space between my toes and the front of the boot.

That aside, they seem to be constructed fairly well and after wearing them around a couple days they've softened up nicely. I'll probably end up getting a smaller size just to keep my foot from shifting around inside too much but for now they hold up fine. Sturdy YKK zippers have worked great so far and the treads grip great even on wet surfaces.

My biggest gripe is with the shank. Whatever it is there is NO padding between it and your ankle so unless you're wearing super thick socks you'll feel it digging in immediately after lacing them up. Thankfully I won't be wearing them often or for extended periods of time so it shouldn't bother me that much. That stiffness may go away the more I wear them so I'll be keeping an eye on that as time goes along.
on June 25, 2014
I have only had these for a little over a month, and there is already a hole worn through the "leather" where it creases at the toes in your stride. The "leather" is paper-thin. I put "leather" in quotes, as I'm not so sure that it is real leather. I am in law enforcement, and would definitely NOT recommend to other officers. Sure they are lightweight and comfy as soon as you put them on, but materials are lacking. I also prefer a stiffer toe in case someone purposely tries to step on my toes/foot to elude, and there is NO protection what-so-ever in these boots. Will never again buy these or anything like them. Save your money and look for something better and safer!
on July 21, 2014
These boots are comfortable, well constructed and give me about another inch on my total height (i'm 6' 1, this makes me 6' 2 :) )
The boots unlike others give me great support around the ankle area. Its cushion feels great around my leg and I don't feel any chaffeing...

The boot fits perfectly. The size is just right (ordered a size 12 D) I would recommend going with the the D width if your a little on the heavy side and normally purchase W shoes. The D size has room for you...

The shoe feels really good when i walk and climb steps. Its very fashionable and I feel comfortable wearing them daily with Jeans to work.

All in all a great product by Bates..

Lets see how they hold up in th winter.

I'll make sure to come back and post my findings..

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.