Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
Batman - The Animated Series - The Legend Begins
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- How to draw Batman
- "Life on the Edge" game
- Animation tests
- Conversations by director Bruce Timm
Top Customer Reviews
Review of the Episodes:
1. On Leather Wings: A winged bat-like creature is spotted flying above Gotham, stealing chemicals from various pharmaceuticals (recently from Phoenix Pharmaceuticals, where it also injured a night watchman). The Police suspect that it is Batman. To clear his name, Batman goes to the scene of the crime and finds a tape along with a strand of the creature's hair. Having his suspicions, he goes to Dr. March and Dr. Langstrom to ask their opinion on the evidence. However, since the Doctors give him a faulty explanation, Batman is convinced that one of them is the cause for the crimes. Can Batman find out who Man-Bat is and get him in time?
A good start to the series, we get to see how Batman clears his name by going after the Man-Bat. (4/5).
2. Christmas with the Joker - The Joker has escaped from Gotham Asylum during Christmas time. Meanwhile, Dick convinces Bruce to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" to let Bruce get into the holiday spirit. However, the Joker makes all the channels broadcast to his show called "Christmas with the Joker", where he intends to share his Christmas `joy' with the citizens of Gotham. It is up to Batman and Robin to save the people of Gotham while Joker holds Commissioner Gordon, Detective Bullock, and reporter Summer Gleeson hostage.
This is a little different, but still a good episode where we get to see Batman and Robin in action.Read more ›
The best thing about the entire series is the "kinder, gentler" approach to the caped superhero. As opposed to Tim Burton's dark just-this-side-of-a-psycho interpretation, the animated Batman develops something of a rapport with his adversaries. He comes to understand them before even attempting to bring them in, and he tries the easy approach first - granted, it generally fails, but at least he tries. His defeat of Gotham's various criminals is invariably brought about by Batman's psychological understanding of them.
The next best thing is the new interpretation of old villains, and the introduction of several Bob Kane originals who never saw screen time anywhere. In the latter category, the Scarecrow and Poison Ivy are magnificent. The Scarecrow story on this DVD introduced Scarecrow as Kane did - as an inadequate little man who uses his advanced knowledge of chemistry to incapacitate his opponents with fear, making himself feel bigger by comparison. Beginning as a mere bankrobber, later stories saw him evolve into a more psychotic extortionist. Poison Ivy, who Kane introduced but rarely used (if I'm not mistaken, he actually only had her in a single story) - and who didn't appear often in post-Kane comics, either - is given a complete makeover and a credible psychosis of her own. Her introductory story is one of the best in the animated series, and is present in this collection.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
awesome..great to see these use to watch them as a kid now i can have my daughters watch them and enjoy them as much as i didPublished 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
Batman: The Animated Series totally defines my childhood. The 90's is home to some of the best cartoons and this series certainly still holds up. Read morePublished 5 months ago by John Perkins
My Son loves Batman right now and when he got this movie he was super Excitied! Great buy! thank You!Published 19 months ago by Sarah
I watched this cartoon in my 20's, it was pretty good, was cool hearing big stars voices on temporary characters. Mark Hamill was the Joker, yes, Luke Skywalker as the Joker!Published on December 19, 2010 by Mr. Suede
this dvd includes five episodes from Batman the animated series. the villains are man-bat, joker, scarecrow, and poison ivy.
the 1st episode introduces man-bat. really bad. Read more
But the fact that you can get 85 episodes for around 80-90 dollars, this disc is ONLY for people who are JUST getting this one.
So you can get this for 2. Read more
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Cartoon Network
- Movies & TV > DC Comics Collection
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Television
- Movies & TV > TV