Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 795 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 951 reviews
on November 10, 2016
Love this game. If you're into Batman, it's great. Very big map. Lots and lots to do. In fact, sometimes there is so much going on you can get confused on what it is you're supposed to be doing. I've never gotten EVERYTHING. I'm not one of those folks who has to complete a game 100%. If there is a cool ending, I've never seen it.

There are several different difficulty levels. The hardest level is a "one life" situation: if you die, you have to start over. That one is fun but very frustrating. You can't play it on the easy level, only on med and hard. Some of those bosses are tough. The timings on each difficulty level is different as well so you can't just get really good on Med level and expect to beat Hard.

I've played it 5 times now. It does get a lot easier when you know what's coming. As in all the Arkham games, some of the Riddler things are a bit ridiculous.

It's a fun way to waste a weekend.
on November 7, 2013
EDIT:
I had to substract one star from the rating. I'm in my New Game+ playthtrough right now and I can't keep forgiving the technical problems this game has. It has stopped being fun and started being terribly frustrating. I think that in my first playthrough I was just too excited with the novelty to realize all the problems, but now they've become more evident and even game-breaking.

The graphical glitches are more regular now. Sometimes some textures don't load and Batman falls through the world, which can't be fixed without exiting the game and reloading. I used to think that I lost so many times in my first playthrough because I wasn't familiar with the game and enemies. I was wrong. The controls are just really unresponsive. Batman takes my button presses as mere suggestions rather than orders, and sometimes for no reason he gets grabbed by an enemy on the other side of the room, who has no way to reach him. I've also noticed that the little rotation circle and "Saving" sign are not to be trusted when they show up, because, as it turns out, the game MIGHT NOT BE SAVING AT ALL.

Yes, right about now you might be noticing what was the little fact that make me rage and prompted me to come back to this review to lower the score. I was already losing my patience at Batman constantly ignoring my commands in favor of jumping around smashing his face against everything and everyone without damaging anyone but himself. I guess he forgot Iron Man is supposed to be the drunk superhero. But then I lost in a fight because Batman refused to do what I told him to and when the game reloaded I was set back about half an hour of gameplay because even though the game claimed it was saving, it wasn't.

BTW, I also tried the multiplayer. I couldn't play, since no one seems to be playing it. So yeah, one star less.

END EDIT. Original review follows.

After absolutely loving the previous Arkham games, I was very excited for this one, which I preordered. After finally getting my hands on it and having played it, I will say: it's a great game, but definitely the weakest entry in the series.

I'll start with the pros. The game looks great, the voice acting is fantastic, the combat is just as fun as it was before, and the variety of villains you have to face is pretty good. There's also a good deal of side-missions, challenges and collectibles, and the story mode is pretty long, so this is a game that will keep you occupied for a while.

Now, onto the bad stuff. The game looks great, yeah, but it suffers from MAJOR slowdowns, both in gameplay and cutscenes. I've never felt such slowdowns in a PS3 game before. It actually reminded me of the time playing the original Hitman in a 386 PC with no 3dfx (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's like trying to have a child pushing a cart carrying an elephant on an uneven road. It's slow but steady in the plain parts, but when it needs to go uphill, things get ugly). They're not constant, or game-breaking, but they're annoying.

The game also suffers from unresponsive controls. I have experienced serious trouble having Batman do what I tell him to in certain areas. For instance, doing a takedown on a stunned enemy was ridiculously easy in the previous games. Here Batman only does it about 50% of the time, despite the fact that the game controls the same way. Plus, he likes to target the wrong things/enemies. I push the control to the right, he targets the guy on front. I want him to grapple on to the rooftop to the side, he grapples onto a bridge on the other side of the screen, and so on. In the previous games, whenever I lost a fight I'd go "Daagh! I'm so stupid!" or "Ugh, I forgot I have to evade this guy!". In this one I'm more prone to say "BLEEPing BLEEP, why didn't you counter when I told you to?" or "You were supposed to jump to the OTHER side, you @#%$!".

It's like all the elements are here, but they've been beaten with a stick before sending them to do their job. You can see that in interviews with the developers, in which when asked why Batman had all these extra tools now and they weren't around later they couldn't come up with an answer (fans would say that after Batman becomes more experienced, he doesn't need that much stuff, and it's pretty obvious, which makes it more infuriating that the developers couldn't think of that). The design of the city is very similar to the previous game (perhaps TOO similar. Really, isn't Gotham supposed to house about 10 million citizens? Why did they pick almost the exact same places from City to Origins?), but some things don't make sense. In Asylum, there were some places you couldn't grapple, but there was an explanation whenever you tried it. Here, it's just arbitrary. You see dozens of places in which you could easily climb or grapple but the game won't let you do it. They're just invisible walls, and they're frustrating.

The story is very interesting, but it's too cumbersome. Again, the previous games had a very good excuse for all of those villains being in the same place. While at first it might seem that's the same here (the story involves Black Mask sending 8 bounty hunters after Batman, all of them competing for the prize), it gets too coincidental too soon. I mean, besides the assassins, Batman meets Jim Gordon, Barbara, the Penguin, the Riddler, the Mad Hatter and the Joker, plus, Joker meets Harley Quinn, ALL IN THE SAME NIGHT, which happens to be Christmas. Batman becomes public that very night too (as he's filmed for the first time), and a couple of important figures get killed. It's like the Phantom Menace all over again. You don't have to cram all the characters together when you make a prequel.

Speaking of the Joker. I know he's a great character, but I'm kinda tired of him being the main villain behind it all YET AGAIN. Come on! Give the spotlight to someone else for a change. The trailers for the game are very misleading, making it seem like the Joker is a side figure while Black Mask and Deathstroke run the show. Save that stuff for Hollywood, please. Don't do the misleading with trailers in videogames too.

I always cringe when a previously single-player franchise adds multiplayere in a new entry, because it's always unnecessary and only tacked on to make a few more bucks. I have no interest in multiplayer, so I don't know if it's any good or not. All I know is that it's a waste of resources that could have been spent polishing the single player experience. Then there's the DLC problem. This game has a lot of DLC and it's mostly skins. I have no problem with that, but I think they're severely overpriced.

All in all, this feels like the first game on the series. I don't mean story-wise, it just feels like the other games were made after ironing this one's kinks. If you encountered a time traveler from 2009 and gave him a copy of Arkham Origins and one of Arkham City, he'd have no problem believing City was the one made later. You're probably wondering why, after all this criticism, I give the game four starts. Two reasons. Number one is that Amazon won't allow me to put 3 and a half, which is the real rating I'd give the game (and three stars only would be too low). Number two is that this is still a very fun game and there's brilliance hidden behind all that mess. You just need to use your detective mode to find it.
on October 31, 2013
Let's get this out of the way first; if you are a fan of the Arkham series of Batman games, buying this game should be a foregone conclusion - the gritty, real-world nature of the storytelling and the physics of the game are just too good to pass up. Half of the reason that I knocked off the last star is that with Arkham City, Rocksteady set the bar so high up in the atmosphere that WB Montreal would have had to do some really unbelievable things with the PS3 hardware in order to preserve the feeling of shear amazement with the third installment of this series. The cut scenes and story line was as impressive and entertaining as you can imagine, the voice actors do very admirable jobs, living up to the franchise standard set by the likes of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. Thankfully Bane is treated appropriately, which is a breath of fresh air after he was basically ignored in 'City', and Christopher Nolan and Tom Hardy reduced the character to a British-accent-having, marshmallow-mouth-speaking, philosophical-waxing hand servant in The Dark Knight Rises.....anyway.... Detective mode has a neat new feature that lets you reconstruct crime scenes...although it's kind of inappropriate for a back story title (I was looking forward to some old-style gadgets, some malfunctions worked into the story line, etc.)

Basically, it plays exactly like Arkham City, while the storytelling is more robust and believable, the main story mode is relatively short and simple to complete. There are still tons of content to explore once you've finished the main story line, but without the amazing storytelling and awesome cut scenes every hour or so of play, it gets repetitive quickly. There are also hardware problems as the game asks the PS3 to do *just* a little too much. Frame rate problems are not common, but they're present and sometimes severe (though very rarely)

all in all, could have been better, but a very, very solid game that's worth your time.
on July 23, 2016
This is my favorite Batman story yet. However the game itself (PS3) has several bugs and glitches that are unacceptable for an offline story. The character designs and overall look of the game is just superb. The voice acting is pretty good but the VO for Batman felt a little green. This game with its designs and story could have been EPIC but the bugs and glitches are very present. During cut scenes there's severe frame rate issues and after those you basically have to stop playing and let the area load and render without pausing the game. Hurts the player badly when several missions involve tracking and disarming bombs in the city after a cut scene. Some bosses have a difficulty spike during play while others do not. If you play the game on higher difficulty the bugs and glitches hinder you even more because you have less time to disarm bombs as well as boss fights that happen directly after a cut scene. This is very evident during the DeathStroke fight. Recommend you play on the easier difficulties to prevent frustration. A great Batman story. Poor game.
on November 11, 2013
Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham city are two of my favorite games of all time. Arkham Asylum gave us excellent graphics, an excellent storyline, excellent voice acting and above all else, excellent gameplay. It was such an enjoyable experience, that upon beating it, I immediately started over again. Arkham City improved on this successful recipe by opening up gameplay to the expanse "City of Arkham". One very important thing that both games had in common, was the developer Rocksteady Studios. Batman: Arkham Origins was developed my Warner Bros Montreal. Oh how the developer can make a difference. I'll start by saying that the game as a whole is a good game. It's quite fun and and very similar to the first two Batman games. In fact, it's almost a carbon copy of Arkham City, with some DLC added to it. New toys were added to Batman's arsenal, such as shock gloves, the disruptor, glue grenades and a remote batclaw. All of the other gadgets are present - smoke pellets, decryptor, explosive gel, etc. are all items that you start out with. There are a number of bosses, all of which have unique ways in which they are defeated. There are plenty of side missions to keep you busy (ala Riddler trophies in AC), such as destroying riddler disruptors, responding to police calls, destroying drug stashes, etc. You are also now allowed to fast travel around the city via the Batwing once you liberate certain Riddler disrupted radio towers. The game is a prequel, so you will be just getting to know characters like the Riddler and the Joker and there are many other villains in the game that you will get to enterface with. The game looks good and the new voice actors for Batman and the Joker do a very fine job.

All of these things are great, but they do not detract with the game being buggy and frustrating. I've never had a game freeze up on me, requiring a restart as often as this game (at least for PS3). The sound has gone in and out during gameplay. There was a sequence where all I could do was walk around during a fight....no fighting buttons worked and none of the enemies was engage me anyhow. One of the new gadgets - the glue grenade - is great when it actally works. The hit detection for the GG is no poor, that you could throw one directly on the target, just for it to miss with no apparent reason why. These are just a few of the many bugs that have taken away from the overall experience of a very good game.

Bugs aside, I also found myself asking a question. It's understandible that in Arkham City the streets would be filled with thugs. After all, AC was basically a sealed off prison city. However, in this prequel, nothing but thugs roam the streets. Where are the normal citizens? You will hear a loud speaker from time to time that speaks of a city-wide curfew, but it just seems odd that there are absolutely no normal citizens, only thugs. Not a big deal, I guess I just expected so much out of this game that the little things like this were noticieable to me.

Overall, BAO is a good game. If you enjoyed either of the first two Batman games in the series, you'll want to pick this title up. Just beware of the bugs - perhaps the XBOX360 version has less bugs, but I have a feeling it won't matter what system you use. After restarting the game 7 or 8 times because of a frozen screen you may find yourself throwing your controller. That is, if the battle with Deathstroke doesn't have you kicking your TV first (the eipotme of frustrating boss battles).
on April 3, 2014
This game is a really great game, the only problems I have are concerning continuity. The thing is this, you can not have better technologies than the first two games since this is suppose to be a prequel. Having said that, the story is rich and compelling for anyone who is interested in Batman or even superhero fiction in general. The visuals are absolutely stunning, and have been boosted a bit since the last game.

In my eyes, being a hardcore Batman fan I can say that this game provides mounds of information on the Batman universe. Including bios for most and a great soundtrack to back it up. If your a Batman fan then this is a must, if you want to get into Batman then IMO this is the title to start with.
on December 6, 2013
This is a really good game, but it does not quite live up to the standard set by Arkham City. However, just because it is not quite on the level of Arkham City, does not mean that you should pass this game up...especially if you are a fan of the Caped Crusader. The story really does provide an interesting take on the early years of Batman's career, including the first time he crosses paths with the Joker. The gameplay itself is still pretty good, but there were two things I took issue with. First, there are two new gadgets introduced in the game that feel REALLY overpowered, and can make combat and the Predator Rooms much easier than usual. Second, the Free Flow combat is not quite as polished as in the first two games; enemies rush you more aggressively and its much more difficult to counter their attacks effectively. Despite those two issues, the game overall is still really fun, and a must-play for Batman fans.
on December 30, 2013
First: I loved Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. They were great.

There are some cool thing in this game. Electric gloves are pretty bad ass. Crime scene analysis is amazing.

The badness:
You fight Bane 3 times. The first 2 are basically the same thing. That's lazy.
You can only beat some the challenges in the story. There are limited opportunities to accomplish some rankings (Shadow Vigilante rank 6) that you can miss. Then you are not able to advance. That is poor game design.
I could never get the online part to load a game. I signed on but it seems nobody else was.

I won't buy another Arkham game unless Rocksteady makes it. It was a mistake to not have them make this one.
on February 21, 2016
If this game was a $20 add-on to Arkham City, I probably would have given it a better review. Instead, we have a completely unnecessary "prequel" that makes little sense when included with the superior games that came before it. How exactly does Batman have access to technology in the prequel that he didn't have in the other two games? WB Montreal doesn't care. WB Montreal wants your money and they want it NOW! If you've been dying to spend your hard-earned cash on some very pretty cutscenes, then this is your game. Otherwise, you're going to get a pointless, buggy mess that does nothing to even match, let alone improve upon, the two Batman games that came before it.
on March 12, 2014
Arkham City was a bigger and more refined version of Arkham Asylum. I wish I could say the same for the next step in the series, but Arkham Origins feels like it takes two steps back (without even taking one step forward).

While we all love the combat of the Arkham series it has started to become tedious and, even with new types of enemies, doesn't make any improvements over City.

The map in Origins is hellish. If you've seen any other review on any gaming website, the same issue comes up. The damn bridge! How many times do we have to cross this thing? Fast Travel helps out, but the loading time in between makes me feel like I'm playing a game on PlayStation 1 or 2.

You've got the same gadgets that you normally do so there's little to no improvement there.

All in, the story is short, there are fewer (and less interesting) side quests than City, but the voice acting (even with new voice actors) is superb again and the story is told well. It's a fun game as long as you're not tired of the same old song and bat dance.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.