Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,245 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,434 reviews
on March 27, 2015
Great return from what became of Batman in the unspeakably horrific 1997 Batman and Robin. Batman Begins starts out as an origin story, but the pace moves it along quickly until Batman appears. This is the only movie of the trilogy where Batman uses bats for assistance and where we see him use his gadgets to leave an area, unlike the sequels, where he just disappears. The only thing I can complain about is Scarecrow, who I feel was pretty much wasted. I saw promotions, pictures, and figures of him as a little kid during all the hype, and when I saw the movie, I was let down that he got taken out quickly by his own gas and then by a taser. He looked scary in the mask, but didn't do much. All that aside, I liked the action scenes and the characters. I thought Christian Bale portrayed a good Bruce Wayne and Batman, Michael Caine was good as Alfred, and so on... Batman Begins is dark and serious, entertaining, and a fantastic re-imagining of the character. While not as twisted or entertaining as The Dark Knight, This is a solid and well-made movie.
on February 6, 2017
The perfect start to this thrilling trilogy, quoting Nolan: Bale has the exact balance of light and dark necessary to play Batman. It should be noted that few actors can interpret so masterfully Bruce Wayne and Batman at the same time, are two totally different personalities in the same body and Bale got it to perfection.

The performance of Michael Caine is impeccable and reliable, as we are accustomed. On the other hand Gary Oldman playing Gordon was something I did not expect, I am so used to seeing him in bad roles and I love that despite knowing what Gordon's personality in comics, seeing Oldman always felt in the Background load the character by fighting against the dark side we all carry inside and the relief to see how he always made the right decision.

I love the movie, and if you get a chance to see the trilogy in an afternoon think it's a good plan!
on November 24, 2006
All the press releases to the first Batman by Burton alluded to how different the character would be older, darker, at conflict with continuing role as a crime fighter. What we got was a semblance attempt by Michael Keaton, brow furrowed thru most of the film, to deal with his dual identity which came off shallow and unconvincing and of course being outclassed by Nichcolsons Joker didnt help either.

Well finally Christian Bale, working with an excellent script brings us the darkside of Batman and what makes him tick. This movie makes great effort to unfold his story, not rushing thru his metamorphises from Bruce Wayne to the Batman and allows us to follow a delightfull, errr, reimaging of how he got his clothes, weapons and Batmobile and how he had to strive to better what he got to suit his purposes.

Gary Oldman, that wonderfull chameleonish actor now puts on the threads of Jim Gordon, before he became commisioner and he does a fantastic job of making choices between what Batman might be, just another thug jockeying for position in gotham by eliminating the Falconi mob and what he really is, someone who wants to help.

Michael Caine as Alfred? I wont insult this genius by trying to say anything, positive though it may be, about a role he was born to play.

Liam Neeson, I didnt feel for his character, I never thought he played the philosopher warrior well anywhere. Neither as Qui Jon the Jedi nor as the man who tries to induct Bruce into the league of shadows. It all sounds like he was reading directly fromt he script in monotone.
on July 13, 2017
Great. And frankly I like this one better than the next one, The Dark Knight, that everyone else considers the best in the series. I don't like extended, rather realistic violence. This has violence, but not heavy-handed nor glorifying of psychopaths as Dark Knight seems to do.
on October 18, 2012
As mid October rolls around, brisk winds sweep through the crisp autumn air, jack o'lanterns decorate steps and porches, the scent of wood smoke radiates from wood stoves, and the leaves are in their peak season of color. October is a magnificent month, and in celebration of its annual visit, I've decided to review a few great flicks for the Halloween season. The titles that I've chosen to review are "alternative" Halloween movies... not the classics that generally spring to mind, but fun movies with elements of the supernatural. Just good, lighthearted stuff here... nothing gory or scary (at least not too much)!

"Batman Begins" is an exceptional movie, no matter how you want to judge it- drama, superhero adaptation, or action movie. What I particularly loved about it was how it gave a credible origin to the legend of Batman. Rather than just asking the viewer to accept that Bruce Wayne has a ridiculously high aptitude for stealth and combat, director Christopher Nolan SHOWS us why this is. Wayne's training in a remote sanctuary of ninjas, as he slowly acquires his remarkable skills, is fascinating and engaging. This is a movie that benefits greatly from the HD transfer to Blu-ray, and it is a treat for the eyes to witness this legendary character's origins.

And let's not forget, "Batman Begins" works perfectly as an "alternative" Halloween movie, as this crisp October weather rolls in. After all, it features a very cool villain called "Scarecrow", whose weapon is nothing less than fear itself... the story of "Batman Begins" will draw you in from the first moments, and hold your attention until the final, climactic battle.
on July 5, 2017
Batman and Batman Returns rocked solid and Batman Forever and Batman & Robin ah, they're crap. This one should be the best yet! The first time I saw a prievew for it ah, it was ok. But when I saw a 2nd I was freaken excited! But my main question is... WHO WILL BE THE VILLAIN? IT BETTER BE JOKER OR ELSE I'M GONNA CRY(I'm joking)!!!
on March 19, 2013
Batman Begins is a moody, gritty, wonderfully flavorful, yet muddled origin story of the Dark Knight, Batman. Christopher Nolan successfully creates a mostly believable world for Gotham City to inhabit, standing apart from other cinematic adaptations of the source material, yet not so far apart as to rub fans the wrong way. The movie is careful to position this Gotham City and this Batman as belonging almost to the same world we inhabit, though with the addition of some ridiculously precarious elevated monorails. The film succeeds in taking us through Batman's evolution from angry, driven young man into caped crusader beginning a war on crime. The fledgling relationship between Batman and Jim Gordon is effective, the loyalty between Bruce and Alfred is touching. Philosophically, though, the film flounders.

The film grapples with the theme of fear, sometimes effectively and other times clumsily. Of particular curiosity is that Batman wants to be both a symbol of hope, but also a symbol that strikes fear into the hearts of criminals. Batman also consistently seems to believe that criminals are somehow fundamentally different than law-abiding citizens, though he stumbles through some explanation about how stealing to prevent starving gave him some sympathy... without going as far as to say he identified with people who might do so. He fails to note that vigilantism is a crime, and therefore, technically speaking, Batman himself IS a criminal. He also fails to consider that among the lower income citizenship of Gotham, a family might have a son or uncle or mother or father who resorts to crime. Should Batman strike fear into that family member's heart, he will not inspire hope in the hearts of the remainder of the family. Batman seems to have a very black and white view of the world -- which is fine for Batman, but the film fails to present a different voice. This is the largest failing of the film.

Since the movie attempts to position the Batman story in a more realistic context, it should position Batman himself -- a morose, disturbed, costume-donning vigilante billionaire -- in the same context, as a complex, unbalanced, individual, rather than simple "the protagonist." The movie seems to share Batman's moral compass, which, given how unstable the guy is, seems dubious at best.

Another point, far too much is made of Thomas Wayne, Bruce Wayne's father. Multiple flashback sequences present the guy as a saint, a perfect, magnanimous caring, giving, charitable billionaire. At the same time, Martha Wayne, Bruce's mother is a non-entity. She has perhaps a single line, which has no lasting meaning. Perhaps Bruce Wayne had a cold and distant mother, but since this doesn't seem to be an important part of Batman's profile, why present her as only window dressing to Thomas Wayne. I know why, because this movie is essentially a sausage party. While Rachel Dawes serves as an important grounding force for Bruce Wayne, she also serves as damsel in distress, with one of the more noteworthy action set-pieces being designed entirely around saving her. So.

None the less, the film is still a thrilling adventure that makes you believe a depressed angry billionaire orphan could become a bat. And it's realized so effectively that even as you squirm at the muddled socio-political implications, you can't help but enjoy the ride. So, four stars, in spite of myself.
on February 24, 2006
Quite possibly the movie of the year.

I went into this thinking, "They've DONE the whole Batman thing. Why put us through it AGAIN?! The first Burton/Keaton Batman was da bomb. "Returns" was decent, "Forever" was entertaining but sadly lacking. Seriously, with a cast like Drew Barrymore, Jim Carrey, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman, Val Kilmer, and Kevin Grevioux (Raze of Underworld fame), how could Schumacher screw that up? Well, he found a way, and with the release of "Batman & Robin," it became painfully obvious that the end of Batman was more than just "in sight," it was here.

I grieved the death of what could have been a terriffic franchise, and I moved on.

Then along comes Goyer. He wrote "Blade: Trinity," and while I am NO fan of that movie, we'll blame the studio's cut and Parker Posey's horrible acting...for now. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he has also written some great screenplays and stories. Blade, Blade 2, and Dark City are all his, but his writing abilities seem to be more hit-and-miss than substantially consistent talent.

Christopher Nolan directs and kicks in his two cents' worth in the screenplay department... I'm not impressed with his body of work. I liked Insomnia, but let's face it: Nothing I'd seen so far said to me that Batman Begins would even be watchable, much less entertaining.

To be honest, I didn't even WANT to like this movie for several reasons...

* Michael Keaton did so well with Batman

* Schumacher was so total in his obliteration of the franchise, I could not see any reason to beat the dead horse

* A fan of the "Dark Knight" I was tired of being disappointed at the cinema by the direction in which the franchise had gone

I must say that I'm very glad I saw this in the theater (on the "big screen"). Just think; I almost missed witnessing a true rebirth of this franchise!

The casting was work of art in itself. Some unlikely choices really REALLY pay off. Two character actors were cast against type, but it seems to have been a brilliant choice!

The effects were dynamic, and the sets and backgrounds were more than realistic. The stunts seemed to be more wire work than CGI (thankfully), lending a more believable and realistic feel to this endeavor. And gone (again, thankfully) are the hiddeous nipples from the Bat-Suit! (Curses Joel Schumacher for ever adding them in !!)

The thing which most impressed me about this film was the story. It was fantastic! I've read reviews by the "professional" reviewers, and one in particular claimed that the movie got lost in the beginning to find itself again only at the end. I'm learning NOT to listen to the "professional" reviewers and to judge for myself.

I have to say that by going through the changes in the beginning, you fully understand the motivations and abilities demonstrated by the Dark Knight. Because quite frankly, this isn't just Batman anymore. If the new franchise follows this first installment, it will literally BE the Dark Knight vein of the comic book series! THIS is the Batman I grew up with, not the campy, weak-@ss byotch who cracks off one-liners while feebly dealing justice to ineptly stupid criminal miscreants. Adam West was "A" Batman. Michael Keaton was "THE" Batman. Bale is the Dark Knight; it's a totally different animal.

The nemeses in this one are Ra's Al Ghul and the Scarecrow, with a promise of meeting the Dark Knight's "Joker" in the next installment!

This movie exhibits perfect direction from start to finish, never loses itself, never loses the audience, and with great relish fights its way through to a superb and satisfying ending.

I can't WAIT for the next one!

It gets a 9.5/10 and yes, that's a big leap from the rating I gave Burton's Batman cuz let's face it: Bale isn't a better Batman, but the movie itself is LIGHTYEARS better!
on July 25, 2011
I like Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns. They are dark, funny, sexy, and work great as comic book adaptations. Then of course Schumacher's Batman Forever and Batman & Robin derailed completely the franchise. A new reboot was necessary but I don't think anyone was prepared to see how Batman's return to the big screen was going to be that spellbinding in the hands of the gifted director Christopher Nolan.

Batman Begins takes the hero to its origins in a most realistic, dark way. Bruce Wayne is not a perfect hero, he is driven by sorrow, anger, fear and desire of revenge and we see his struggle to overcome this in order to become Batman. Christian Bale is perfect as the tortured Wayne and also as the no-nosense Batman. What I like most about this film is how Nolan and Goyer were able to give Bruce Wayne the same weight as Batman and give him enough room to develop the character. Also, Bale is surrounded by an extraordinary supporting cast composed by Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy and Katie Holmes.

This film is not full of big action sequences or special effects. This is a much human and realistic portrait of an amazing character that slowly builds the foundation of future Batman films. A spectacular reboot.

Video & Audio:
BB has a solid but flawed video presentation. It's not bad and is superior to the SD DVD but it's not demo quality as The Dark Knight. Some night scenes look crushed and there is softness in some scenes. Still it offers balanced colors and there are not compression artifacts to see.

The 5.1 Dolby TrueHD is also great but it's not spectacular.

Bonus Features:
BB comes with some special features that include a PIP commentary, many featurettes which delves with the creation of Gotham, the cast, the action sequences, the special effects and more and the Imax Prologue of TDK. There is a great assortment of bonus material that will keep you engaged and entertained.

Closing Thoughts:
Batman Begins is the best origin movie for a superhero and the second best Batman movie (behind its sequel), its has a great story, a compelling hero and amazing supporting characters that make this film to stand above the usual hero films. Warner's BD is not perfect but its not awful and it has many insightful featurettes to keep you interested Recommended!!!
on February 11, 2013
This was a fantastic portrayal of Batman. Worth watching --

Now I want to address the Amazon Instant Video and Prime Video services regarding this movie:

Amazon's Instant Video allows for the "renting" of the movie for a reasonably low cost and has no membership requirements-- you don't pay if you don't watch -- and it is great (they could do better with the cataloging process)

The Prime Video Service does not always have the latest movies but for the price, the movie and tv selection is awsome -- you can't beat it at the $75 per YEAR price. And if you order things from amazon, chances are real good that you won't have to pay shipping -- the more you buy the more you save so you cant beat the value. I would recommend this to everyone.

I just wish for a browser that call allow me to schedual shows to play systematicly rather than having to go down a list one at a time -- sometimes I would like to just veg out like the old tv days (I don't pay for the cable/sat services because I just don't think I like paying for commercials).