Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 602 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 761 reviews
on March 20, 2017
This movie was amazing and left me wanting more. I loved the situations and how it was based in the same year the comic book came out (1986). This really depicted Batman in such a realistic light 10 years after retiring for reasons that make sense. I could almost feel what he was going through and that is when you know you have a really special movie.
on October 9, 2012
I have really been liking the new DC animated movies that have been coming out over the past couple years, I think they do an exceptionally good job on the Batman movies. When this one came out I had to pick it up.

For those not aware, or that savvy, when it comes to the Batman Comics(myself included) this movie is based upon the pivotal and epic graphic novel/run of Batman comics, with the same title, written by the renowned Frank Miller (Sin City, 300, ...etc) . I personally have not read the entire collection, but it is pretty well known that this story, released in the mid to late 1980's, was one of the pivotal works, that brought Batman back into the public eye, and really helped to re-define the character. After this story was released, the "Adam West Batman" of the 1960s was finally set to rest, and the gritty/dark Batman mythos took the forefront in public's mind. This story set the stage for the Tim Burton films, and their dark setting. In addition, this story was released at the time where comic books were making their shift from child to more mature audiences: this story solidified that.

This story is about the return of Batman, after retirement, to once again clean the streets of Gotham City. Unlike most Batman stories this movie does not really include many members of the "Rogues Gallery" but focuses on his clash with some new villains. I do not want to give away too much of the story for those who have not read or watched the story, but it is pretty cool to see a Batman story set in setting not so familiar to most Batman fans. Due to the size of the story, DC has decided to release this story in two separate movies. While this might piss some people off, I think it was a pretty good move, and kept them from skimping over the details and content, in order to meet the format. The story is very engaging, and lets the viewer see characters in a very different yet familiar way

Like most current DC animated movies, the animation has a anime' influenced style. I would not say that I really enjoyed the animation, but you can see that the some of the original "Frank Miller" look was kept. I personally would have preferred the movie be almost a complete Frank Miller graphic novel brought to life, but I am not sure if that would have marketed well. In short, I think DC settled for a nice middle ground, when bringing this story to life.

The only complaint I really have with this DVD is the special features. We do get a sneak peak into part 2 of this series, which is cool, but besides some trailers, not much is offered, maybe because this is a one disc version of the movie, and maybe they will release a two disc version with more stuff. I would have really like to see a documentary on the original graphic novel, highlighting it's influence on the world of comics, included with this DVD.
on December 17, 2016
THIS PERFORMANCE HAD VOICES I LIKED WHO DID THE CHARACTERS AND THERE WERE TWO MUSIC TRACKS DURING THIS PERFORMANCE OF DC COMICS BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS PART 1 THAT I LIKE. AFTER WATCHING THIS USING WIFI, I LOOKED FOR THE MUSIC DISC FOR THIS TITLE AND I SEE I CAN MAKE ONE FOR IT SINCE THERE ISN'T ONE. I HAVE THE ABILITY TO CREATE A DISC AND CREATE A DISC CASE COVER FOR THE UNRECORDED MUSIC TRACK DISC TO PLAY THE MUSIC THAT IS ON THE SOUNDTRACK OF DC COMICS BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: PART 1. I LIKED THE TRAILER PREVIEW VIDEO THAT IS ON THE WEBSITE IMDB.COM AND I GOT INTERESTED IN THESE CARTOON ANIMATED MOVIES AGAIN TO SEE IF ANYONE DID ROBIN AS A WOMAN. THE ORIGINAL ROBIN AS I ALREADY STATED WAS PLAYED BY A WOMAN.
on January 1, 2014
This happens to be a fairly faithful adaptation of the acclaimed graphic novel. There are some differences but nothing that would ruin the experience as a whole. The fact that it has a PG-13 rating isn't much of an issue or handicap, there are only a few things that have been toned down from the graphic novel. I'm not totally convinced that without the toned down moments that the movie would have received an R rating, but it would probably have been too close for producers, etc.

The biggest issue I have is that the graphic novel was broken up into two films, bleh. This one covers the graphic novel up to the conclusion of the mutant gang storyline.

It does have some other issues though that should be mentioned with the voice casting and direction.

Peter Weller does an adequate job as Bruce Wayne/Batman but for some reason the almost monotone gravitas of his voice doesn't seem to matchup with the animation style on screen. I don't blame Weller for this, that fault lies squarely at the directors doorstep. Beyond that, and in all truthfulness, the remaining supporting voice cast is irrelevant. I wonder if the studio could have sprung a for a few extra bucks to hire some other celebrities (at least enough for the B or C list level of celebrity).

There is also the occasional blunder, the one that stands out most glaringly in my mind is this, after Batman has come out of retirement and is chasing three crooks into an abandoned building, he turns to the two pursuing police officers and yell's "These men are mine!", at least in the graphic novel. In the movie it's just a statement told with less emotion the a quarterly economic report for lower Albania. This manages to miss the mark on two levels, failing to translate the scene adequately from the graphic novel and at the same time manages to fail as a scene from a film perspective.

The film version also removes one of the more controversial moments from the film that was in the graphic novel. Specifically when Batman rescues the kidnapped child from the mutants he does not pursue the same resolution in the film that he does in the graphic novel (I've been purposefully vague on this point to avoid spoilers in either the film or the graphic novel) needless to say, they went the PG-13 route completely.
on October 1, 2012
"This should be agony. I should be a mass of aching muscle - broken, spent, unable to move. And, were I an older man, I surely would ... ... but I'm a man of thirty - of twenty again. The rain on my chest is a baptism - I'm born again ... "

I was DYING to see/hear that scene in the animated movie adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns. It wasn't in it. I guess they decided to leave it out. Mildly disappointing, but I got over it. There were other minor changes/omissions. On the race track, when Bruce Wayne crashed, he narrated, "this would be a good death...but not good enough." That wasn't in the movie. When the pimp gave the cab driver a roll of cash to keep the cab still while he beat his prostitute. Batman landed on the cab and handed the cabdriver a roll of cash to keep the cab still while he beat the pimp. That wasn't in the movie. There seemed to be a somewhat clumsy flow from one scene to the next. This was probably due to time constraints. These aren't necessarily complaints; just observations. Overall, the movie was well done. I watched it three times so far so that should tell you something. Allow for the fact that there are changes from the novel and its incredibly enjoyable! I await part two.
on December 18, 2012
I know that the Frank Miller Graphic Novel didn't do as well as people might have liked, but it does have a strong following. And as evidenced by other fans of the original work this film was a strong adaptation of it.

One thing that it misses is the internal monologue that usually follows a Batman Graphic Novel or the comics, but to say that being missing is a deal killer is rather strange. No other Batman video offering that I have seen gives you that internal monologue. That includes the Nolen films, the Animated Series, the Animated Series movies, and the various shows and films that he was a character in.

So saying that this being missing kills the movie is strange since it's rare to see it outside of print. It's like complaining that this grapefruit tree sucks because it doesn't grow oranges when no other grapefruit tree has ever grown an orange.

But back to the movie itself. While it's strange to hear a Batman voiced by someone other than Kevin Conroy, Peter Weller still does a wonderful job of being the gritty voice behind the mask. You really can believe that this is Bruce Wayne many years along from the days of his prime.

The film moves along with the same speed as the Graphic Novel and doesn't bore us with any slow points. It takes a little while to build up but once it gets its head of steam, it doesn't stop.

I honestly can hardly wait for the second part to come out and I hope that they're planning to do the sequel work of Miller "The Dark Knight Returns Again"
on August 23, 2013
This wasn't bad at all. The story was interesting seeing an older Bruce Wayne. Being a fan of Batman, I've never really thought about him in an older state. So this was all new and really never thought of by me so I was intrigued by the story and how they would be able to tell it and keep it real with how real Batman's character has always been (No superpowers, no flying, super strength) While some kids may want to watch this, I'd say probably teenager's would be fine, I believe there was some language and violence that I wouldn't want say my 8-10 year old nephew's watching but I'd feel safe showing them when they are older at a teen age if they are still into the comic book characters.

Like I said, it a dark story, like a lot of the graphic novels that are so popular these days with the comic's, and I look forward to watching part 2 which they sort of lead into at the end....I do have it, haven't watched it yet. As far as the animated DC movies, this one holds up well with the other's I've seen, because it is different being the view of Batman/Bruce Wayne older so I think if you enjoy the other DC animated movies or the graphic novels and haven't seen this yet or may be hesitant, give it a shot, I think you'll like it and want to get the 2nd one to see what's next for this story.
on October 16, 2012
Enjoyed the movie, and bought it the second it became available, but it pales in comparison to the source material, Frank Miller's original work. I read it when it first came out and it helped to elevate what comics could be. IMHO, this one the top 5 comics of all time and is responsible for Batman's revival as relevant Character.

The animation was OK, but not great. The voice acting was good.

I hope this is made into a live action movie at some point. Nolan could do it justice.

This is THE seminal Batman story that all others since owe a great debt. Any true Batman fan should read the comic/graphic novel.

I enjoyed the extras and am looking forward to the next installment.

UPDATE:

Its strange to update a movie/dvd review, but here goes...

I updated my review of this installment from 3 stars to 4 stars. After seeing Part 2 and then watching both in tandem, I've come to have a greater appreciation for Part 1. My only criticism of this installment is chiefly due to how the mutant gang and their leader were represented. They (the mutants) had an old school Saturday morning cartoon villain look about them that, to me, made them seem too nonthreatening.

While Part 1 can stand on its own legs, it definitely stands taller and is more satisfying when paired with Part 2. I'm not sure why it was necessary to break it up into 2 parts.
on October 31, 2012
Overall good treatment of Frank Miller's version of a middle-aged Batman, returning to the battle for Gotham.

For those who were not around at the time, this was the seminal re-imaging of Batman, from his various incarnations as campy crimefighter, popular hero and so forth; this Graphic Novel brought Batman back to his roots. No witty one liners, no bat-devices to conveniently tie up or immobilize opponents. No, here is a brutal vigilante, loved by some, hated by others, feared by most, who enjoys a tenuous relationship with the law, based on his friendship with the current commissioner, who is soon to retire.

All told, I thought the movie did a pretty good job of making the jump from Graphic Novel to Animated Feature.

I found the movie to be on par with Batman: TAS, as far as animation quality. Peter Weller is good as Batman/Wayne, so no loss on that front.

My one point down is only because a) I really like the voice over which was provided in the Graphic Novel, and do miss that aspect, and b) I wish they could've done a longer movie, and managed the entire Graphic Novel.

Still, all in all a good treatment. I will most definitely rent the second movie to see how they handle the conclusion.
on April 14, 2013
Like most fans of this work, I have loved it since a friend let me borrow it over 20 years ago. I had to have my own copy, and I have read it many times. This animated version is almost perfect, as there are scenes which match the original panels line for line. The only reason I don't give the animated version 5 stars is because there is no interior monologue for Batman/Bruce Wayne. This was, no doubt, a creative decision to simplify the process of bringing the story to the screen, but some of the interior monologue adds a lot of depth to the character. That being said, this feature and Part 2 are well worth a look if you are a fan of the original story, or even if you like animated movies in general. ** Note to parents with young children ** - This is NOT like "Batman the Animated Series," "Justice League," "Justice League Unlimited," or "Batman Beyond." The violence, though stylized, is quite realistic and, in some scenes, GRAPHIC.