Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 569 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 712 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon July 25, 2011
It's a great idea to release a penciled version of graphic novel once in a while.

Batman: Hush Unwrapped Deluxe is basically the same book as Batman: Hush with dialogue and all, except everything is in pencils. The only coloured bits are the sound effects and Batman's internal narration.

Reading the book in just pencils is quite a different experience. It's basically like looking at the final draft of the book before the go ahead for inking. If you're marveled by Jim Lee's art in the coloured edition, you'll be blown away by this edition - if you're a comic artist maybe your brain will explode with awe.

Every page is filled with detailed pencil work, deserving a slow peruse. The amazing pencil hatches and shading are everywhere, on the characters, the backgrounds. After reading the book, you'll probably get a new sense of appreciation for comic artists and the art of making comics. This book is definitely a collectors' edition for fans.

As for the story, the storytelling is good and well paced, there are some surprises as Batman tried to uncover who this Hush villain is. The characters are well defined and believable. The sequences with Catwoman are fantastic - I love how Catwoman and Batman interacts.

However, I've a problem with the ending. Even though the villain was revealed in the end, the motivation for going against Batman isn't, or is too weak for me to notice. Just because you're a bad guy and he's Batman means you've to go against him? So the story is great for me until the ending which I felt could be better.

Also check out Icons: The DC Comics & Wildstorm Art of Jim Lee if you can't get enough of the art.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Amazing is one word that could sum up this entire piece. Not only is the reader privy to excellent writing from Loeb, but a visual masterpiece from Lee. This story takes many twists and turns, from the dank, shadowy Gotham, to the brighter, more hopeful Metropolis. Batman encounters almost his entire rogues gallery through this story, while simultaneously balancing his life as Bruce Wayne and the Dark Knight. Loeb explores the human aspects of Batman, showing that even this brooding detective feels emotion. His relationship with Selina Kyle evolves to greater depth. While this is the focus, his interactions with his two protégées, Robin and Nightwing, is by no means left out of the story. The incorporation of Jim Gordon, Huntress, Lois Lane and Superman provide an interesting perspective into how other characters perceive the Dark Knight and how his methods differ when fighting crime. The writing is almost seamless, no chapter feels as though it could be discarded, and each panel has some significance to the story.

Jim Lee's Batman is tough and heroic looking, intimidating yet not outrageous (as far as dressing up as a bat can be). Each villain, with the possible exception of Joker, looks terrific. I only single out Joker, because it seems as if Lee draws him in several styles (particularly his face), and looks as if his features change. Of course, Joker still looks insane and maniacal, just a little distracting however. Hush is some of Lee's best work, no doubt helped by the excellent colors and inks. The reader can tell that effort and thought was put into the art. Some feel that this is among Jim Lee's best work, and I can certainly understand why.

In the end, there really is no good reason not to purchase this book. While perhaps not as seminal as the Dark Knight Returns, I enjoy rereading this piece much more. It is satisfying, a good conclusion with just enough hint of a cliff hanger to feel eager to read more. When many comic book readers talk about missing the older days of comics, this is one of those works that makes certain contemporary titles shrink by comparison.
Hush is probably best remembered for bringing together so many disparate members of the Bat Family and the Batman Rogues Gallery into one massive plotline. Loeb does a tremendous job of connecting all the various characters, though the finale reveal remains one of the weaker ones I've seen. Hush is built around the surfacing of the titular villain: a man in a trench coat, covered in bandages who seems to know Bruce Wayne's secret identity and has managed to unite his most famous foes against him. At the same time as Bruce's run in with Hush, he also manages to take the next step his oft-simmering romantic relationship with Selena Kyle (Catwoman). Hush is a terrific and fun story, but the twist ending revelation of Hush's true identity is a bit of a dud. A) you can see it coming from a ways off and B) the villain's motivations aren't properly explored here due to the nature of keeping their identity a secret throughout the book. Thankfully, the later sequel book Heart of Hush manages to rectify the villain problems. Still, Hush has numerous iconic sequences from Batman's fight with a Poison Ivy-dominated Superman to him finally revealing his secret identity to Catwoman.
on May 2, 2016
I haven't had this much fun and enjoyment with a Batman story since either Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight or Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham City. Loeb does a fantastic job with Batman: Hush.

The Good:
Oh boy, there's a lot! Batman is great as always. I really like the Batman & Catwoman duo throughout the story. They're a great team together. I also really liked the variety of other heroes and villains used throughout the story. I can't say too much about who else is in it because I'll get into spoiler territory, but it's awesome to see other faces from the DC universe. I also really like how mysterious and terrifying Hush is throughout the story. There's so many points where Batman feels like he's got everything under control, then BAM! Hush throws a curve ball and takes away all of Batman's momentum. ***Minor SPOILER, but it's not too big of a deal. Even though we've seen it a thousand times, I liked the usage of the death of the Wayne parents flashbacks as well as the Bruce and Tommy flashbacks. They add a really interesting level of depth to the overall story*** I also really liked the ending's big twist and the resolution to it all. It was handled very well, and I have no major complaints there. It really surprised me, and that's what I was hoping for all along.

The Bad:
So, about Hush. We don't really see all that much of him until the last third of the story, so until then, you're kept waiting and waiting and waiting. That's why there's so many other characters in the story (heroes and villains alike). The idea is that someone is playing this complex game of chess, and Batman as well as his friends and foes are the pieces, so I guess you HAVE to be kept waiting, but I was just hoping we could have seen more of Hush in the other two thirds of the story. I would have given it a 6/5 rather than a 5/5 if there was more Hush in the story. Also, as much as I liked Batman + Catwoman, it definitely felt awkward at points. Sometimes it totally works, but sometimes I was just thinking to myself, "Really? I don't know if Batman would be on board with something like that." But that's just a minor nit pick, so it's easy to look past.

Final Verdict:
You absolutely need you read this book! If you're a Batman fan, you owe it to yourself to read it. I read the book in 2 hours because I was so invested in the story. I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Returns, but I couldn't read it for THAT long without needing a mental break. It's awesome! Just buy it already.
on July 29, 2015
Must admit, this is one of my favorites. Everything from the story line, how the characters were portrayed, to the actual artwork of the book--everything was highly satisfying. Very much worth the price easily.

Some comics aren't that good--either they are drawn crappy, written worse, or their characters are depicted acting differently than they 'would'. NOT so with this one. I loved the character interactions best--here is where the skill really shined--you got the weight of whole backgrounds and relationships in simple moments and dialogues, which gave the story a rich depth and 'real feeling' to it.

While this is obviously an action comic, enough time was taken for character that it really felt balanced right between people and action. Not an easy balance as seen in comics that have no character and are merely flash bang--or in ones that grind to a halt with too much character 'time' and not enough movement. This had the right feeling of 'flow'.

Loved the sassy moments.

Pretty much a perfect read--satisfying all the way around.
on September 16, 2016
I have never been into comic books or graphic novels. I prefer standard novels, where you use the theater of the mind to paint the pictures the words evoke, rather than an artists renderings on a page. Well, that and I always saw them as "kids books".

And then a friend recommended this one to me. I have always loved the character of Batman. I have seen all of the Batman movies (even the animated ones), read the novels that were written...Batman is probably my favorite "super hero". So, in a conversation with a friend who has been collecting comics his entire life, he said "hey, why not pick up a copy of Hush, and give it a read. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you." Well, with a money-back guarantee, who was I to say no?

It was money well spent, because I LOVED IT. Far from a "kids book", this was a very mature, very dark story that made for "can't put it down" reading. The artwork was simply amazing...there were several panels that I would love to see framed and hanging on a wall in my office. The villain was excellent, and while I was able to guess at the "who" before the end, that didn't detract from the experience in the slightest.

For my first adventure into the realm of comic books, this was certainly a hit, and one that I can't recommend highly enough.
on August 5, 2017
I think this book is a bit overrated. I had always heard such good things, but for me it fell a little flat. It includes almost every Batman villain, and plenty of supporting characters, but the story itself is not all that interesting. I much prefer Loeb's "The Long Halloween" when it comes to story, but I think Jim Lee's art makes this book worth buying. The art in this book is iconic, and I think solely because of that this book is one that every Batman fan ought to own. It is a beautifully rendered depiction of who Batman is. I do like the romance elements between Batman and Catwoman, but I would have preferred a different resolution. Overall, a great addition to the collection, but not the greatest Batman story ever.
on April 23, 2013
This work is a tour de force, literally a "feat of strength." It is a monumental accomplishment in the comics genre. It's an excellent addition to the rich archives belonging to the Batman family of stories (and that's coming from a guys who's mainly a Marvel fan, folks!).

Writing---Excellent, excellent. The way Jeph Loeb tells this story is simply brilliant. You often get three things happening at once, (A) Batman's thinking/narration, (B) Batman's speech, and (C) the speech of other characters. Now, I would normally think that's a recipe for disaster, but Loeb pulls it off like a pro. It becomes almost symphonic. And the dialog is brilliant.

Pencils---Jim Lee's artwork is amazing. He was brilliant with Marvel "back in the day" on the X-Men titles and such, but in this volume, "Hush," you can see that he has grown in all facets of his illustrating prowess. If I can single out one thing in particular, it's this: Jim Lee has become one of the best story-tellers with his illustration that has ever been in the comics business. His Batman is second to none.

Inks & Colors---just spectacular. Enough that the artist personally thanks them in a couple pages at the end (at least in the single-volume, paperback edition I have). Sometimes loosely monochromatic, sometimes vivid and colorful, sometimes dark and moody---they made all the right choices on every single friggin' page.

Lettering---Yes, dangit, even the lettering is superb! Batman's thoughts/narration are in a nice blue thought cloud, in contrast to speech. Also, the lettering is characteristically "out of the way," for lack of a better term. It doesn't hide the brilliant artwork.

I am so glad I bought this volume. It has a rich selection of characters, a super story, brilliant art, and is loads of fun.
Enthusiast: Batmanon December 13, 2016
Hush is a genius new invention into the lore of Batman. Jeph Loeb dives DEEP into Batman's history in comic books to bring up every past Batman tragedy Loeb could think of. All of the issue is brilliantly illustrated by Jim Lee's realistic and stunning artwork in this fresh take on the caped crusader. The colors pop and the story should amaze any Batman fan thoroughly. I'm impressed a comic this good can still be made in recent years. Loeb, Lee, & company should be proud. Pick up this graphic novel!
on March 15, 2015
<i>Batman: Hush</i> is one of the best <i>Batman</i> comics that I have ever read. It is tightly-plotted, with an arc that makes sense from the beginning. Yet, at the same time, it has so much in it, from a potential romance with Catwoman, to exploring Batman's other relationships.

The story is about a weird series of occurrences where many of Bruce Wayne/Batman's enemies and friends begin acting various degrees out of character. Mix this in with a mysterious opponent nearly killing him, and you have a mystery worthy of the "world's greatest detective". Someone is behind these disparate events that Batman can't quite connect to each other, but can tell from their timing are related. The foe he faces is a dangerous one, and with the prep time they have had, may have a chance of defeating the Dark Knight.

The volume was a thrilling mystery that kept you on the edge of your seats, because you have to wonder how Batman will succeed. At every turn, the behavior of the villains, other heroes, and even Bruce himself, are almost coordinated to help the Big Bad of the story and hurt Batman.

The best example I can come up with is to compare it to Season 2 of <i>Arrow</i> where Slade Gordon/Deathstroke is making everyone dance to his tune and the heroes can seemingly not stop him until the very end. So good was his understanding of Ollie and company, and precise his planning. The (different!) villain of this story is similar.

Along with the adventure and mystery, the earlier-mentioned exploration of relationships is a good reason to get into this comic. As Selina Kyle/Catwoman lampshades to Bruce, for such a grim stoic guy, he sure has a lot of people in his life. This human element, very well explored here, is what makes this story so compelling. All too many people write Batman as someone for whom Bruce Wayne is dead and who only cares about justice, doesn't care about people, and so on. This could not be further from the truth of the character.

The dynamic with Tim Drake/Robin and Dick Grayson/Nightwing, as well as Barbara Gordon/Oracle, wherein he shows his fatherly side, the act of forgiving someone who betrays him later on, all of these show that Bruce Wayne, underneath the gritty exterior, is a man who <i>cares</i> about other people. He's not some dark and edgy anti-hero cum almost anti-villain. He is a genuine hero, who cares despite his severe psychological baggage.

If I had to name one thing that was off about this story, it is that we saw too little of the bad guy here and so his "reveal", fight with Bats, and downfall seem a tad anti-climactic. I would have liked to see more of him, but I hear he shows up later in future stories, so that is gonna be pretty good to see.

All in all, a great story and one I think any fan of Batman would enjoy.