Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Battat Take-A-Part Vehicle Airplane (Old Model)
Color: Blue|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on September 5, 2014
Extremely disappointing. After waiting nearly 4 weeks for this to arrive in Australia, on opening the product the drill ONLY works in reverse - so is basically useless. I see from other reviews that others have had the same issue - even sending theirs back to receive a second faulty replacement.... really makes me wonder whether I should bother waiting another two months to send this back and receive another..... Clearly no quality control - perhaps if these came with batteries included - someone could TEST to see the drill was working in BOTH directions at the manufacturing level.
Top Contributor: Baseballon December 27, 2013
I purchased the Battat airplane for my 3 year old for Christmas and he absolutely loves it. It was a too difficult for him to figure out on his own, but after a few attempts, he has finally gotten the hang of it. The two key principals are: 1) using the toggle to determine the direction of the electric tool, and 2) teaching the principal of screws in = sturdy, screws out = falls apart. It took about 20 minutes for him to get them both down. My 7 year old even found the toy interesting and ended up doing most of the training. I thought that was fantastic.

In terms of presentation, I purchased direct from Amazon (sold by Battat direct) and found the shipment, packaging, and quality great. All the pieced were in the box. The electric tool works fine and has sufficient quality to power the screws. I did notice one of the screw slots does not lock in any of the screw. I did not remove a star for this.
on September 4, 2015
We purchased this to give to our son for his third birthday. He already had the Take-apart crane truck, so we thought this would be a great addition. The plane is very attractive, and when put together, it by itself makes for a great toy. My son has no problems disassembling this plane. He loves using the drill to take it apart. He feels just like daddy with his tools. Reassembling the plane is another story. He has a hard time putting this back together by himself, and sometimes it feels a challenge as an adult, too. I'm hoping as time goes by he will be able to put this one together just like he does the truck-without assistance. For now, it's a great "let's do this together" toy.
on July 22, 2015
I bought this for my 2yo son's birthday. We have had it for almost a year now and it is still fun to play with and STILL looks new. My kid has crash landed this plane many many times and I'm amazed how it has held up. He still needs our help to figure out how to put it together after taking it apart but I bet in another year he will be able to do that on his own. The pieces are large, durable and easy to handle. I'm not super concerned when pieces are left floating around because the 'screws' are large enough that my youngest doesn't attempt to swallow them. I think this is a great teaching toy as well as fun to play with toy for toddlers. I highly recommend as a more unique gift!
on October 18, 2016
This Take-A-Part airplane kept me and my toddler entertained for hours. I ordered it when he was still 1 year old, so way too early to take it apart or put it together alone. But even then he had lots of fun "helping" me. Around age 2 he was able to use the drill and only needed my assistance to hold the propeller for drilling and assist him on putting the right parts together. Now he is almost 3 years old and still loves to play with it. The drill doesn't work as well anymore and one of the propellers broke off (drill drills only when button pushed hard and only slowly after about 6 months of daily use - for a while we put the plane together and took it apart 5 times daily. Propeller broke after about a year, when my son dropped it from a high table - on purpose - several times!). But after 2 years of constantly playing with it, I find it still a very durable product. I'm very happy with it and will order it again once my second son turns about 2 years old ;).
on January 4, 2015
I got this for my son for Christmas, he's 2 1/2. He loves the drill, which it really quite neat. It comes with a Phillips head, a flathead, and a bolt head attachment for the drill. The drill has two settings (forward and reverse), with a middle spot that locks the drill. It is very straight forward to assemble. Very simple directions are included with around twenty parts that go into the assembly of the plane, not counting the drill and bits.

I save 5 stars for things that really make me happy 100%. My only wish is that it would come with a bag of sorts to store pieces when not in use. We've almost lost the drill bits multiple times. Other than that, totally satisfied! He isn't able to do it on his own yet, but he loves to help assemble and disassemble! I fully expect this to be a big favorite soon enough.

Mine came in yellow, orange, and green with black tires - I actually liked these colors better than the picture. It does mention that colors may vary in the description, though.
on November 19, 2013
This toy is AWESOME! And it seems to fill a niche where nothing else exists. What do you do if you have a small child who is fascinated by tools and building, but actually wants to build something real--not just put a screw in and out of a hole in a plastic bench?? Buy these "Take Apart" toys!

The drill is very similar to a regular electric screwdriver. It comes with 3 bits (Phillips, flat head, and socket). It also has a switch on the bottom for reverse. The size is perfect for small hands and seems to have just the right amount of power.

The plane is a little tricky to put together until you do it a couple of times. There is a precise order in which a couple of the pieces have to be put together. Up to this point, my daughter has only had to figure out WHERE pieces go, but not "in what order." This is probably a nice progression. It's a really cute plane, once it is assembled.

The only negative I have--and it's a big one--is that all of the screws are made such that they can be screwed in with either screwdriver bit. That's kind of a drag, and unnecessarily "dumbed down." It doesn't match the level of complexity and ability that this toy requires to successfully put it together. I wish they required the child to switch out bits, depending on the screw used. There are a couple fused screw/nut combos that require using the third, "socket" attachment. But the rest of the plane can be put together without paying any attention to matching the bit with the screw head.

If anyone finds other similar toys like this requiring tools and parts for assembly, let me know! I cannot find anything for her to step up to.
on November 17, 2014
These are great toys! We have the plane and the roadster. I bought them when our granddaughters were just two years old, thinking that they were toys that grandpa would enjoy with the girls. I was right! At first all they could do was to hand him the parts as he asked for them. They LOVED doing that and they loved the time with grandpa. Grandpa loved showing the girls how to put the toy together. Now the girls are 6, almost 7, and this continues to be one of their favorite activities at our house. They still take the toy to grandpa (I keep each toy in a big zippered bag) but they can now put the toys together all by themselves and Grandpa just hands them the parts. SO cute. Our four year old granddaughter still needs a little help from Grandpa but she can easily insert the screws and tighten them with the drill. After all of this time the toy still looks like new and the drill still works perfectly. The roadster was easier than the plane. Grandpa could tell that and waited until they had played with the roadster a year or so before bringing out the plane. They now love both but I would definitely start with the roadster.
on April 6, 2015
my three year old loves this. he takes his plane apart at least once a day now for two weeks. the drill switch is a little sticky. there is a off spot in the middle. So reverse, off, forward. It appeared to stop working in forward as others have reported but there is a middle stop for off that once we realized everything works fine. My 7 year old keeps trying to steal it so I'll be getting a couple more of these take-a-part toys. quality of the pieces is think plastic. big pieces - like a 3-d puzzle when assembling it.
on November 11, 2014
My 2 1/2-year-old with lots help can assemble the plane and pretty much disassemble it by himself. We've been playing with this plane for three hours straight and he's not bored at all. I didn't tell my son that this was his plane I told him that it was ours and if he could help me assemble and disassemble it I really appreciate it. It seems to create more interest.
One thing I noticed is that the drill can tighten stronger than it releases. What this means is that you might have to hand torque some of the bolts in order to get them started and this is something that a two half year-old just won't get. It would be nice if there were some extra parts because I can see them getting lost in overtime given that this is the type of toy that He can play with for years and grow into it. I highly recommend this product.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.