Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,008 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,134 reviews
on March 19, 2014
I have owned this product for about two years, so having lived with it for a while I'll give you the good and the bad.

I got this for my son when he was 3 for Christmas. He could not put it together by himself, but he could use the drill when he was directed. Now he's 4.5 and he can put more of it together on his own but still needs some help. I find myself having to think through how to put it together. The bottom of the plane is a bit more tricky because of the order of the wings and the wheels and how it comes up through the top. It's a bit of trial and error if the screw is supposed to come up through the bottom or the top.

One other issue I have with it is all the pieces it comes with. I know, it states there are 25 pieces, but think about keeping track of all 25 pieces. There are the screws, the pieces to the plane, the drill bits and the drill. Trying to keep it all together with the way my kids play can be a bit of a challenge. At 4.5 and 2.5, they are not the best at putting all the pieces back where they found them or back where they belong. I recommend storing this in one bin or basket to try to keep it all together - because if you lose one screw, you won't be able to put it all together. It does not come with any extras.

Overall, I like the problem-solving aspect of it and having your child think through the steps. And they like being able to use a drill to put it all together. If your child gets frustrated easily though, just be prepared to help them or face a meltdown!
on September 5, 2014
Extremely disappointing. After waiting nearly 4 weeks for this to arrive in Australia, on opening the product the drill ONLY works in reverse - so is basically useless. I see from other reviews that others have had the same issue - even sending theirs back to receive a second faulty replacement.... really makes me wonder whether I should bother waiting another two months to send this back and receive another..... Clearly no quality control - perhaps if these came with batteries included - someone could TEST to see the drill was working in BOTH directions at the manufacturing level.
on December 27, 2013
I purchased the Battat airplane for my 3 year old for Christmas and he absolutely loves it. It was a too difficult for him to figure out on his own, but after a few attempts, he has finally gotten the hang of it. The two key principals are: 1) using the toggle to determine the direction of the electric tool, and 2) teaching the principal of screws in = sturdy, screws out = falls apart. It took about 20 minutes for him to get them both down. My 7 year old even found the toy interesting and ended up doing most of the training. I thought that was fantastic.

In terms of presentation, I purchased direct from Amazon (sold by Battat direct) and found the shipment, packaging, and quality great. All the pieced were in the box. The electric tool works fine and has sufficient quality to power the screws. I did notice one of the screw slots does not lock in any of the screw. I did not remove a star for this.
on October 18, 2016
This Take-A-Part airplane kept me and my toddler entertained for hours. I ordered it when he was still 1 year old, so way too early to take it apart or put it together alone. But even then he had lots of fun "helping" me. Around age 2 he was able to use the drill and only needed my assistance to hold the propeller for drilling and assist him on putting the right parts together. Now he is almost 3 years old and still loves to play with it. The drill doesn't work as well anymore and one of the propellers broke off (drill drills only when button pushed hard and only slowly after about 6 months of daily use - for a while we put the plane together and took it apart 5 times daily. Propeller broke after about a year, when my son dropped it from a high table - on purpose - several times!). But after 2 years of constantly playing with it, I find it still a very durable product. I'm very happy with it and will order it again once my second son turns about 2 years old ;).
on November 19, 2013
This toy is AWESOME! And it seems to fill a niche where nothing else exists. What do you do if you have a small child who is fascinated by tools and building, but actually wants to build something real--not just put a screw in and out of a hole in a plastic bench?? Buy these "Take Apart" toys!

The drill is very similar to a regular electric screwdriver. It comes with 3 bits (Phillips, flat head, and socket). It also has a switch on the bottom for reverse. The size is perfect for small hands and seems to have just the right amount of power.

The plane is a little tricky to put together until you do it a couple of times. There is a precise order in which a couple of the pieces have to be put together. Up to this point, my daughter has only had to figure out WHERE pieces go, but not "in what order." This is probably a nice progression. It's a really cute plane, once it is assembled.

The only negative I have--and it's a big one--is that all of the screws are made such that they can be screwed in with either screwdriver bit. That's kind of a drag, and unnecessarily "dumbed down." It doesn't match the level of complexity and ability that this toy requires to successfully put it together. I wish they required the child to switch out bits, depending on the screw used. There are a couple fused screw/nut combos that require using the third, "socket" attachment. But the rest of the plane can be put together without paying any attention to matching the bit with the screw head.

If anyone finds other similar toys like this requiring tools and parts for assembly, let me know! I cannot find anything for her to step up to.
on November 17, 2014
These are great toys! We have the plane and the roadster. I bought them when our granddaughters were just two years old, thinking that they were toys that grandpa would enjoy with the girls. I was right! At first all they could do was to hand him the parts as he asked for them. They LOVED doing that and they loved the time with grandpa. Grandpa loved showing the girls how to put the toy together. Now the girls are 6, almost 7, and this continues to be one of their favorite activities at our house. They still take the toy to grandpa (I keep each toy in a big zippered bag) but they can now put the toys together all by themselves and Grandpa just hands them the parts. SO cute. Our four year old granddaughter still needs a little help from Grandpa but she can easily insert the screws and tighten them with the drill. After all of this time the toy still looks like new and the drill still works perfectly. The roadster was easier than the plane. Grandpa could tell that and waited until they had played with the roadster a year or so before bringing out the plane. They now love both but I would definitely start with the roadster.
on April 6, 2015
my three year old loves this. he takes his plane apart at least once a day now for two weeks. the drill switch is a little sticky. there is a off spot in the middle. So reverse, off, forward. It appeared to stop working in forward as others have reported but there is a middle stop for off that once we realized everything works fine. My 7 year old keeps trying to steal it so I'll be getting a couple more of these take-a-part toys. quality of the pieces is think plastic. big pieces - like a 3-d puzzle when assembling it.
on April 8, 2015
So the great price got me......should be the perfect toy for 3 yr old grandson.....And I believe it would have been if it was complete. It arrived looking great! Had the big check mark of "Assured Amazon Quality" seal plastered prominently right on front of package. However, upon checking the toy myself, as I have learned to do to make sure 1) I know how to work it & have successful playtime & 2) to make sure it works......glad I did! It came with 2 bottom wings, no top wing & missing a screw! Put it aside on the bar to contact & return it to Amazon, forgetting my grandson, growing like a weed, can now see on the bar & was thrilled @ his "find" & fussed & cried not being able to play with it, so it would have been a hit. At least we were not in the middle of play to find it did not work.
Amazon did pay for return & said I could re-order direct from them only to replace the toy.....@ this point I'd rather just forget the whole thing as it's been several weeks & we are o.k. without it. Ordering the toy will cost more from Amazon, but they have my original investment so I kind of have no choice but to pay extra & purchase from them in order to preserve monies already spent.
on March 23, 2015
I bought this set for my son because he's 100% plane fanatic. He already has this same set however we got it from a yard sale so it didnt come with all the build able parts...I was excited when I saw this full set for sale on Amazon. When I received the set I was excited because it was a gift to go with my sons new remodeled room (plane theme of course). Well, my son (2), his little cousin (5), an I sat down to put the plane together....for a half hour I was trying to figure out why the top piece on the body of the plane would not fit correctly with the "window" and the screw would not screw in. Apparently theyve sent me 2 of the same piece....if you look at the set, the bottom part of the body differs a bit from the top. They sent me two lower halfs. So considering my son is now all amped up over a this plane, and kept trying to get it down from the closet, I had to mix the new set with the old set (from the yard sale) so that he could play with it. Also, the "working" screw driver work, but it doesnt really work, lol. Thats no biggie, its a childs toy so I dont expect it to actually tighten screws. If you get a complete set, the plane is actually a great toy.
on December 21, 2013
We purchased this for our son who just turned 4 today, after he spent most of his time at his cousin's house playing with his...he loved it so much, we decided to get one for his birthday. He had four presents today (for the number of years lived), and has played with this almost non-stop. He loves it! Overall, I feel that it is an excellent toy.
It is very easy to assemble (if you ignore the instructions and just use common sense, as the instructions are confusing!), and the screws go easily into place. The drill works just like a real one, which my son found thrilling. It comes with different drill bits, and he has had so much fun using it to drive the screws into the plane to assemble. The drill even has the same functions on it as a real one - forward, stop, and reverse. You push the little button in the correct direction to change the way the drill spins. It really works to screw in and take out the little gray screws. There are a couple of things that could be improved if you are purchasing this for a younger child. For example, when you connect the top of the plane to the bottom, you have to also hold the little disc in place that the propeller fits onto. My son has found this difficult to do himself, so we've had to help, which is no problem to us, but he wants to be able to do it entirely by himself. He cannot hold the two halves of the plane together, while fitting the disc into the groove, and then hold it all together while using the drill. Same for the wheels. When you assemble them, you have to hold the two sides together while using the drill. He finds it difficult and needs help. He is pretty bright, and very well coordinated, but it's just to hard to hold all the things together at the same time, for him at this age. However, my 6 and 7 year olds can put the plane together, in its entirety, with no help at all, so if you are purchasing for a child around 5 or 6, then these issues will probably not affect them the same way. It's the same with the propeller. You have to hold the propeller on, as well as hold the screw in place, at the same time as the drill is being used, so I've just taught him to hold the plane, nose up, so the propeller can rest on top, rather than having the plane held straight where the propeller just falls off unless you hold it all together. He has found this easier already. Also, it owuld be better if each piece could be screwed on by itself, rather than having to put on, say, a wing but have to attach the wheels through it first before drilling in the screw. If the wing could be screwed on, then the wheels screwed on, it would make it a little easier for a 4 year old to assemble entirely on his own, without needing help to hold pieces together while he uses both hands to hold the screw and the drill. Other than these minor issues, it is a wonderful toy. It's very sturdily built and he has spent literally his entire day playing with this one toy. He puts it together, takes it apart, and then starts all over again. I think I've helped him build it at least 25 times already. I actually find it to be fairly fun to assemble with him, and he feels a great sense of accomplishment once he's built "an actual plane" (his words). We're a bit bummed that we paid $28 plus shipping for it on here, and now see that Amazon is carrying it for $20 with free shipping, but alas, we missed the boat, since we needed it here before today...we will definitely be looking for other things for our son in this series. Even my husband enjoyed putting this together with him!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.