Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on January 17, 2012
As the parent of an ADHD daughter, this book offers reassurance that my determination to have her discover confidence and happiness in spite of repeated failures in her academic pursuits was the best approach. The book covers the challenges of society's expectations...and how they might vary from one place to another...and how the expectations and attitudes of teachers can also significantly affect any student, but particularly ones with learning issues. I really enjoyed the alternating perspectives of the mother and the daughter, and it gave me a better understanding of what my own daughters are probably thinking, as both are rather independent and skeptical of what is considered the "norm," I have no regrets over our aimless wanderings on summer vacations and lazy afternoons spent making up stories in the playroom. I couldn't agree more with the viewpoint that we should offer opportunities for enrichment to our kids, but not force these endeavors upon them. This book was a quick read...engaging...and completely enjoyable. I recommend it to all parents.
on January 3, 2012
Diana Holquist shares her motherhood story with such touching honesty and humor! The reader is treated to her seriously witty story telling as she describes her challenges parenting a wonderfully unique daughter and how she was able to ultimately achieve the most difficult task of all - really and truly letting go. As a new mother myself, I found the revelations told by Diana Holquist truly refreshing - perhaps my son will be okay if he doesn't make it to Harvard after all! So what if he's not like all the other kids in school!

However, the shining star of this story is Miss Hana Holquist, the tiger daughter herself. In alternating chapters, Hana shares her own thoughts and reflections. From her hysterical plans to get married at IKEA (do NOT steal her idea) to her encouragement to get out there and find what you love - her anecdotes are a seriously inspiring reminder to us all. Teenagers and adults alike could take a page out of Hana's book, to be sure.

Well done, Holquist ladies!
on December 16, 2011
When all my friends and neighbors read Tiger Mother they railed and complained about the harsh Tiger Mother tactics. But, until I read Tiger Daughter, there was no coherent and positive response. This is the story of a mother coming to terms with her daughter's non-stereotypic definition of success. A mother realizing that she is not a Tiger Mother. And it shows how real American values (individuality, privacy, the right to bear cutlery if not arms) can rise again despite our schools' current hysteria with Tiger Mother values (standardized tests, classes of identical superstars, bending to the will of authority). A page turner that will give you faith in our daughters and license to stop listening to the neighborhood Tiger Mothers. Read this and you'll be talking about it with most of your parent friends. But check first that they aren't Tiger Mothers themselves.
on December 17, 2011
In alternating chapters, Diana Holquist and her daughter Hana write about the challenges of parenting. Diana writes with great honesty about her struggles to ensure her daughter's success in life. She starts with the Tiger Mother successes that most of us strive for with our children - master violinist, straight A student, and the Ivy League. But Diana realizes that she needs to let go and let her daughter thrive in who she already is.
Hana is bold, smart, creative, and confident - everything I wish for my children. Diana is my hero because she learned to let go of the competitive parenting that many of us live with (and because she's a great writer).
I love this book because it is smart, witty, and thought-provoking.
on June 14, 2012
I was disappointed from the very beginning of this book. The author starts by spoofing the beginning of Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and provides her book as response, but essentially both authors are writing about the same thing. Chua's book was about how she as a mother had to learn to let go and realize that the "Chinese" way of parenting didn't always produce happy kids. Unfortunately, (most likely due to the WSJ article about the book) most people took the book as some sort of parenting guide and thought Chua was asserting that Western parenting was inferior. This is NOT the case. This is why Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter is unenjoyable, because it is responding to an assertion that was never made. I actually wonder if she read Chua's book.
on December 13, 2011
"Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter" is a terrific story about parenting....From the daughter's point of view as well as the mother's. Diana Holquist's story about raising her children in today's ultra-competitive society will strike a chord in many readers' hearts as well as remind them that parenting is not a competitive sport. This refreshingly honest book about raising kids in our society that is obsessed with overscheduling and perfection, no matter the skill level, will make the reader want to take to the couch with the kids to catch up on bad tv shows on the DVR.
on March 8, 2012
Once I started reading this book I literally could not put it down. I absolutely loved it! I cannot even count how many times I laughed out loud while reading. I am not a mother but I am a daughter and the memories that were brought up during the read were amazing. I went right over to my parent's house, gave my mother a big hug and I thanked her for letting me be me. I suggest everyone picks up a copy of Battle Hymn of the Tiger daughter. You will not be disappointed!
on November 28, 2013
Easy to read, funny in parts, and a useful book for anyone trying to figure out their parenting philosophy. It is written from both the mother's and daughter's perspectives. Rather than tell people how to parent, the writer shares her own struggles in learning how to be the parent her daughter needs. This was more helpful to me than a list of what to do or not to do to raise a happy child. The gist of this book is that every child is different. It is harder to parent children as individuals, rather than just control them to be what you want them to be, but it is worth it when done right. The writer also defines success as raising good humans - children who care about other people and are brave enough to follow their dreams. Society does not make it easy to measure this kind of success; it is much easier to count awards and compare grades. Holquist's point is that grades and awards are ok as long as kids have character. As with any "how-to" book, it is to be read with an open mind. Take what you think will work for you and don't fret about the rest. The writer and her daughter are sharing THEIR experience and one size will not fit all.
on January 24, 2012
I read this book in one day and late into the night.
Then I have been re-reading it with a clearer head,
appreciating the humor, wisdom and sub-plots.
I have great admiration for the two heros,
Diana and Hana, who have met life's challenges
with creativity and bravery. As in all of Diana's
books, there is a great deal of humor. I.e. - why
does Hana want to get married at Ikea!
on March 6, 2012
For any mother (or father) who worries about how to help her (or his) child navigate the pressures of today's competitive consumerist culture (wouldn't that be most of us?) and who would like some great counter-arguments to the "take no prisoners" bootcamp approach of the Tiger Mother, read Diana and Hana's book! It's a funny, smart and moving page-turner that will arm you to embrace the innate wonderfulness of your own child and help you puzzle out how best to support her (or his) unique potential. The inclusion of chapters by Hana proves the book's point--this daughter is a charming master of her own destiny.