Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 1,199 reviews
on August 21, 2017
Read it out of curiosity. Self-aggrandizing and arrogant at every turn.
on September 4, 2014
The author tells it like She Is. I wish the best for her children.; that said her tyrannical ways , spiteful tongue were disturbing to read. For all the piano and violin awards I would never trade the hugs, kisses and genuine building of a kinder, gentler character that I created with my children in nurturing and parenting them thru their childhood.
on October 25, 2012
I don't understand how a book like this has become a best seller. There's no important content on it, except a story of a fanatic mother trying to drive a whole family mad with her obsession to make her two daughters the best ones at everything they do, and brag about them all the time. I feel sorry for them. Don't waste your time on reading it.
on January 28, 2013
I understand pushing your children because you want to see them achieve everything. I have two kids of my own but how she does it is sad and demeaning. She thinks just because her children make it to Ivy League that makes her a successful mom. I would rather happy healthy, both mentally and physically then an Ivy League kid any day. My sons will be successful and happy. That is all I can ask for as a mom. There is a part in the beginning where she says she actually locked here baby outside in the freezing winter cold because she wouldn't apologize for playing with the piano keys. My three year old would have done the same thing out of defiance. She even said she realized she made a poor decision. Really. Shouldn't that be common sense. You don't lock a three year old baby outside in the snow and cold half naked to make a point. Horrible. My baby when he was two accidentally ordered this book. It disgusted and appealed me. I am glad my parents took my sister from china at 3 years old and have given her a happy successful childhood. She is fluent in English and Chinese and she has gone to private school since she stated. My parents expected a lot but then rewarded us for how much they pushed. They realized that you need both. What this lady obviously doesn't understand. Don't buy this book if you love children.
on December 6, 2013
Our book club read this and "Glass Castles" side by side. Our group decided we would rather be the kids in Glass Castles than these two young ladies. Hard to believe, but true.
on March 22, 2013
I just could not agree with this woman's method for bringing up children. I did not like her either. I hope to see a book about her from her 2 girls some day. We had a long discussion at my book group though. That is a good thing.
on January 16, 2017
good
on April 24, 2016
Should have gotten it at the library
on February 7, 2014
I was very disappointed by the shallow, trite and simplistic view of child rearing. I find it hard to believe that Ms Chua actually spent time to have this printed.
on February 18, 2014
Appreciated her humorous stories; however, it was the same story chapter after chapter.

Would be better suited as an article than an entire book.