BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 1, 2016
I love Amy's book so much. At first, I ordered it with skepticism as I have been reading and experiencing so much pressure from the college application process myself. So I was heavily against the idea of forcing kids to their limits and beyond. Moreover, I have read tons of negative reviews and critics on her book. But then Amy's humorous accounts and sincere stories have captured me. I finished the whole book in one evening and kept admiring her candid way of raising her two daughters into such talented and brave young women, just like their mother. She only wants the best for her kids. No mom wants to be a tiger in others’ eyes, but she is willing to be laughed at and to confront criticism for her daughters’ future. The best testimony to her effort is Sophia and Lulu’s presence and their acknowledgement of Amy’s effort.
I highly recommend this book to any parents and young adults.
on February 12, 2017
This book was really insightful. I appreciated her thoughts. It was interesting to compare my soft western parenting to her style. Great thought provoking book.
on October 14, 2016
Some people might not agree with Chua but she certainly challenged my own stereotypes.
on July 10, 2014
This book wasn't what I expected at all. When I heard people talking about this book, I thought 'who is this witch?!' After reading it however, I see that 1) this is supposed to be a tad humorous and 2) while she was very strict and demanding, behind her behavior was a deep love for her children and the belief that they could achieve anything with hard work. I can't say that I will change any of my parenting practices based on what she's written about, but I certainly will think critically about the best way to motivate my child to achieve success.

I do have to say that my husband and I were not raised by Tiger parents (in fact, quite the opposite) and each of us has two Ivy League degrees, and have achieved great professional success. If I had a parent nagging me constantly to practice, do homework, etc, I may have rebelled against them and not done as well. I think that there are many ways to get the same result.

This book could have use some editing. The ending was cumbersome- I don't think she knew how to end it. A lot of things were repeated over and over throughout the book. I also didn't care at all about her dogs, not sure why there was so much time spent on them.
on April 13, 2014
I went into this book with my guard up. I had heard a lot about the Tiger Mother and it didn't sound good. However, It was fascinating to read her philosophies on parenting and how they played out. Whether you disagree with her or not it is interesting to examine her tactics. I especially loved how she talked about some of the underlying beliefs and principles that are different between traditional western way of parenting and Chinese parenting. It was fun and entertaining to read. I hope that I can take what she presented and apply what I think was great and my children will be stronger and have better self-esteem and work ethic because of it.
on September 19, 2013
I was spellbound and gobsmacked at the same time by this true account of a Chinese mother's relationship with her two daughters and how she brought them up. She is married to a Jewish man who does not seem to have anything like the influence that the Chinese mother wields. This family lives in the USA and the book highlights the massive differences in mothering skills between the typically soft Western mother who is far too forgiving of her childrens' faults and the pushy, goal-driven Chinese mother who is relentless in her pursuit of excellence for her daughters and will tolerate nothing less than that. One daughter is compliant and the other is defiant from the very beginning and the battle starts from then. This is a true story; I would love to find out how these girls turned out in the end and although I found the mother jaw-droppingly strict, I begrudgingly had to agree with some of her views. I felt that somewhere between the two mothering examples would be a pretty good balance. An amazing book interesting to the last page.
on May 12, 2013
First, I want to say that I appreciate Chua's honesty throughout the book. She never tries to sugarcoat her views on life, parenting, and the horrible things she says to her daughters, even in the passages that make her look outright abusive and like a huge b*tch (and there are plenty; in the beginning of the book, she says that she thinks that people who believe in astrology "have serious problems"). I also appreciate how Chua can be the bigger person and admit when she's wrong; she could have just listed her daughters' accomplishments and left it there, yet she revealed their power struggles, too. One thing that confused me about the book, however, was the tone. Chua herself says that she wrote it in a sarcastic, joking tone, but, other than in the opening, I don't hear it. I can't tell from the book if she still thinks that Chinese parenting is best, or if she has let up on her daughters, though I have heard that in real life, she has let her younger daughter, Lulu, be more social than before. In all, I think Battle Hymn is a very funny and interesting book to read (from a Sociological prospective and not as a parenting guide), even if you don't agree with it (and I don't; thanks in part to this book, I know that I'll be a proud Western parent).
on October 10, 2015
Amy Chua does an excellent job in her first person narration of the struggle to maintain one's own Asian traditions in a multicultural family, living in the United States. She presents the various problems when two very different ways of raising children collide daily in her own multicultural existence. It caused me to weigh the pros and cons of the various child-raising philosophies, grateful for, yet comfortable NOT being a "Tiger Mom!"
on March 30, 2013
This has been the most popular book my book club has done this year. We didn't necessarily agree with her parenting style, but we were all fascinated by the book and it generated a great discussion. (We're all moms.) I thought it would make me angry, but not so. I immediately "got" the author's subtle humor in showing the sometimes ridiculous way she parents. It's self deprecating humor - the way I might tell a slightly exaggerated story about myself to make a point. And I was glad to have read the book because there are certainly times when I could -- and should -- push my children a little harder. For instance, the other day while teaching my teenaged daughter to cook, she complained about chopping the onions, so (as usual) I started to do it for her -- then remembered the Tiger Mom and made her chop those onions! I disagree with many of her ideas, but found the book quick and easy to read and very entertaining. I kept turning pages. Also educational, because we have a lot of high achieving Asian kids in this area (my own children's friends), and now I feel like I "get" them. I'll be a better mother for having read this book.
on November 30, 2014
I, myself, am a forty year old "white" dad, am involved in law enforcement, and have a two year old son as well as a six year old daughter. In short, my parents were not around during my childhood and I found myself having to teach myself everything. I picked up this book because of all the uproar and had begun reading it prepared to dislike Amy Chua. The book itself was well written and not a word was wasted. It was obvious as a writer Chua put a lot of thought into completing it. The style was unapologetic and differences in opinion tend not to be offensive because they were recognized as opinion and not necessarily facts. The book, may at first glance appear to amount to cultural arrogance, however as it progresses over time (at least in my thought) Chua while maintaining her toughness also appears to give a nod to the Western concept of parenting (However, this IS the "Tiger Mother" so a nod does not necessarily mean agreeing). It was nice to see a well written piece by someone who is comfortable in their own skin.

As far as the subject matter goes, like with a lot of other parents I encounter, she has some very strong beliefs. What I took from the book to be most helpful in my own parenting challenges was to embrace the parenting role, with each child....this is your shot. Someone once told me: "Remember, you're not their friend, you're their dad." The book also reminded me to remain consistent with my children's long term goals.