Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Battlefield 4 - Playstation 3
Format: Video Game|Change

on November 2, 2013
I am sorely disappointed. I understand that this version was built for PS4 and then the quality of the graphics were reduced to play on PS3, but I'm not disappointed with the graphics (even though it seems to be much lower quality than BF3 or BFBC2). I have had some serious stuttering occur in spite of the graphics reduction, but there are many other disappointments available.

What I am disappointed with graphics wise are the glitches, zooming in with a scope only to see some intangible object that wasn't there before creating a glitchy line across the screen obscuring my view that goes away if I am a hair to the right or left (was on a rock with no grass and no trees aiming towards the window of a building), menu glitching when not even in a game (it's as if they released the beta for PS3 guys to play). They also seem to make the fog of distance occur a bit closer on some maps, but there are still some places where you can do 400 yard shots.

I am disappointed in the removal of features we all love like being able to spot/mark an enemy, being able to control vehicles the same way as previous BF games, being able to check the individual scores in the middle of a match (holding or tapping select now brings up the friends menu as if I'm constantly wanting to switch to friends games or check their stats rather than spotting or checking scores).

The thing that makes it really rough and leaves a bad feel to the game I think is that the user interface is much less intuitive than before and the ease of use from the BFBC2 and BF3 menus are gone. One example of this would be that the menu logic is not structured the same and to change your loadouts you actually have to be in the game. There are no grid interfaces for seeing the weapons you have and their statuses. There seems to be little effort to maintain the series functionality in this release, the gameplay options and customization of your character are missing from the important places.

I miss the gameplay options DICE had in BFBC2 and BF3 like the coop missions unlocking stuff and the ability to see the assignments in grid view - DICE will probably come out with more on updates or pay packs (I hope I don't have to pay for them, I already regret buying the game and the premium)

I am happy about new maps which have more of the environment be destructable, and there may even be ground destruction potential (I loved that about the earlier BF, being able to blow a hole in the ground, climb in it, and wait for the enemy). I like that the weapons have plenty of unlocks, though it seems dreadfully slow compared to the previous games (probably want people to buy the unlock packs when DICE comes out with them - i'm disappointed in them for that). I think the kill cam is a bit better than the previous version.

The redeeming qualities on this one seems to be the variety of weapons and their unlockables, and the return of highly destructable environments. I did notice after the update that I can use the server browser and tag favorite servers again, so at least there's that from the last one.

DICE may face a serious loss of followers if they don't fix some of these things before the next COD is released. I'm probably going to go back to BF3 and BFBC2, and not get a PS4 until some quality BF titles are released on it(and an alternate design controller is released).

I may just have to stop being a Battlefield fanboy :'(

UPDATE: Edited to reorganize and add info about stuttering
on November 8, 2017
This game is simply awesome. Campaign is short and as for me it was just kind of tutorial for the multi player which this game is all about
Huge maps is astonishing. Infantry and range of vehicles on the ground, boats on the water, planes and helicopters in the
sky... With all that after each round maps are left in ruins and filled with craters after explosions.

This game is amazing and is completely action packed. The single player is a bit short but the multiplayer is simply amazing. The story line is a bit weak. But the multiplayer is worth the money!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2013
I've played Battlefield games since BF2 on PC. I truly love the series and believe that it's the best shooter on the market. That being said, the game should be avoided at all costs on PS3. If you've played BF Bad Company or BF3 on the PS3, then you know that the BF series has a habit of freezing your system. For those that haven't played, what happens is that during gameplay, the game causes the system to freeze, forcing the PS3 to be restarted manually. Unfortunately, this happens even more frequently with Battlefield 4.

The constant freezing and forced restarting could damage the system. It's a risk that I'm no longer willing to take. There is no hope for a patch to fix the problem, because it's been an issue throughout the whole series on PS3. I can only imagine that it's a problem in the base code of the game.

Other then the freezing issue, there is a lot of graphic pop-up in the game. That means that the details of the graphics don't show up until you're very close to them. For example, stairs are often slopes until you are on top of them. Also, when events happen in multiplayer (such as the building falling in Siege of Shanghai), the game crawls to a stop. It's a very ambitious design, but too much for the aged PS3.

This was my last shot at BF after all the problems of the previous versions. I may still play it, but only on PC. I really wanted this to be better.
on November 19, 2013
Quite simply, Dice absolutely ruined the vehicle controls. You can no longer use the L2 and R2 throttle levers for gas/brake, which makes flying completely un-intuitive (who flies with TWO control sticks?) and makes you prone to mistakes in heated situations.

In addition, land vehicle controls are completely bizarre feeling. For example, in tanks if your turret is facing backwards, and you pull the "gas" stick to "reverse", your tank will go FORWARD (as in the front of the tank will go forward)! If you want the back of the tank to go forward (so actually move backwards) you push the stick FORWARD. You can no longer spin tanks on the ground, instead, the tank spins automagically and starts going in whatever direction you're pointing the "throttle".

I've stopped playing. I hope they update this or I'm giving this game away and never buying another one.
on December 3, 2013
After playing Battlefield 3 and enjoying it, I was really anticipating buying the new version with the new, improved Frost Bite engine, New campaign, and the promise of a more polished experience. After all, it's a sequel appearing on the same platform (ps3) as its predecessor, so the team should have mastered the process of programming and creating a new Battlefield, right? Wrong. This game is so full of bugs, the Orkin man would be hard pressed to kill them all. The controls are unresponsive, and there is no manual with the game, and no explanation as to how certain perks or weapon unlocks work. The single player missions are pathetically underwhelming for this age in FPS. And if you buy this game for multiplayer, be prepared for server crashes, confusing load-outs and disappearing unlockables. Not to mention the fact that there are no lobbies, and therefore no way to insure you can play with you friends. You have to simply try and join their games and hope there is an empty spot in the match. Ultimately, thus game isn't worth more than $25. And that is my honest opinion, wait for the inevitable price drop, which, with a game this poorly put together, should come soon.
on April 6, 2016
What a waste of money, this game took almost 3 hours to install then it only worked to a certain point in the game, then froze my whole system to the point I had to unplug it to shut it off, I tried to reload the game like 10 times after the freeze and it wouldn't even load at all and froze my system up again!!! I finally got it to load, restarted the game and AGAIN at the same spot black screen and FROZEN! I am beyond mad about this! I don't know if this is a knock off or what but I want my money back!!!
on February 28, 2015
If you love Bfbc and bf3 like I do then what a dissapointment first of all bf3 is the best shooter eve made c4 RPGs sniping fixing vehicles reviving fallen comrades flying jets like top gun you could take off air craft carrier and really feel like your maverick and be completely dangerous. Now bf4 wow what a s***ty game it's completly ruined my gaming career the guns are nerfed the vehicles are nerfed the attack helicopter is garbage u have to wait to reload your weapons on all vehicles the jets are not dangerous any more u can't even take off in a jet anymore you can't kill ground vehicles by strafing . Net code wow it's completly horrible still a year later you will get shot 20 times and feel like you were one shoted even the camera that shows who just killed you is horrible it's like a holographic Pokiemon card .oh almost forgot you can't play this game at night all the japanese cheating laggers specifically Join all the us servers u can't kill them they have like 2 seconds before u have to react u can shoot them in the back of the head and they will turn around and one shot you the maps are horrible as well BOTTOMLINE THIS GAME IS SADISTICLY HORROBLE GARBAGE thanks ea and dice for ruining battlefield for all of us bf veterans you guys should be put in jail for this fraud of a game
on December 2, 2013
I'm a fan of both COD and BF games (CASUAL Player). With all the advertisements, demos, screen shots etc. I had high expectations for this game only to be let down. The storyline is horrible and very short, the graphics on the PS3 are just ok and the graphics on multiplayer are down right NASTY looking. The multiplayer concept of driving multiple vehicles, destructive environments are A++, but the horrible graphics take away from that outstanding concept. Maybe I'm just use to playing COD cause I find BF4 online play NOT being very user-friendly. If you are a HARDCORE Player and graphics and storyline means nothing to you then by all means make the purchase. If you're a casual player and looking for a great game with great graphics, storyline and user-friendly format then this game may not be for you.
on November 28, 2016
I am new to the world of online game play. I bought an Xbox 1 and started playing Battlefield 1, which is the best shooter ever. I wanted more modern equipment and a buddy told me to try Battlefield 4 and it is great. Very similar to Battlefield 1 but worse graphics. I am having a blast playing it. It makes me sad to think I have had this game since 2013 and just started playing online.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2014
Overrated from my perception. Sure it's nice to see buildings crumble at heavy gunfire unlike COD. However, since I grew up on 2D shooter games from the Atari era, I find it difficult to compete with all these d*mned kids that kick my butt every time in both games. WARNING TO PARENTS! The campaign of this game is FILLED with curse words that would make a sailor blush. Unless you want your kid hearing this, don't allow them to play it. The creators should have thought more carefully on this issue and the retailers should have set age limits just to buy it. The graphics are good. Game play is overwhelming in length at times to accomplish a goal. Online play I find is way too cumbersome at the plethora of options for weapons, upgrades, etc. etc. And like COD, you have to accomplish some very complex goals in order to get the good upgrades. COD though I find is better in solo play in that you can set bots to play along with. This game only allows you to practice alone.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.