Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 936 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,461 reviews
on June 16, 2014
Let me start this by saying I was really looking forward to this game. I loved BF3 and put many hours into that game. when I heard that Bf4 was coming out I was very excited. I was even more excited to hear that it would be coming out on the current gen consoles (360 and ps3) so you can tell how disappointed I was when it got here and was a big letdown. First off I know that Dice and EA are known for releasing Gltichy games but I was not prepared for it to be this bad. It crashes almost daily and Freezes, lags etc... I was really upset with the Bugs and they still have not figured out and fixed most of them. On top of all that the gameplay is not up to snuff with the previous battlefield games. with the huge maps it is very hard to find people on the console version since it only supports 24 players in a map. I have played it quite a few times on the PC and let me tell you with a decent PC on a 64 player map this game rocks on PC. and its not very buggy at all on PC except for the normal every once in a while freeze. Overall Im pretty disappointed in Dice for making this game this bad on the 360
While the game will satisfy most FPS gamers with it's effects,graphics and story overall at the end it's pretty much a standard FPS that's fun to play. The question a friend asked is whether or not it's worth getting the PS4/Xbox One version?Honestly unless you're a hardcore fan of the series I'd say no.

While you'll obviously get the better graphics and such the game still looks and plays great on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The controls work well and respond well in the game so there's no lagging when you have to throw a grenade or are targeting an enemy for a sniper shot or sometimes running for cover. The A.I. is pretty decent too throughout the game though there were one or two areas that seemed faulty when fighting against enemies. So for FPS or BF fans here's another addition to add to the gaming library until hopefully we get BF:Bad Company 3.

Update 03-12-2014

I sadly had to lower my rating for the game because of either a glitch or faulty A.I. hard to say which but since it kept happening after my third mission on the game it became too much. The major problem is with your squad, as you're going through the level half the time for whatever reason during or sometimes after a firefight they see an enemy soldier but for whatever reason start shooting on the ground or at the walls and there's no way to advance or make them stop. It got tedious having to restart from a checkpoint half the time so I've stopped playing the game at this time until hopefully there's patch that fixes this problem. Don't get me wrong it's still a fun game but this glitch really takes away about 70% of that feeling.
on December 16, 2013
Glitchy and broken out of the box, EA has destroyed another game through total bungling of server and insistence on Origin as a platform. Matchmaking is a nightmare, assuming everyone in your party is able to connect to the internet. Still having frame drops and misrendered assets (360) over a month after launch. I felt embarrassed that i convinced my friends to get it so we could all play together.

The game is great when it works, the maps are huge and beautiful (assuming they render correctly). I didnt think we would see another disaster similar to the SimCity launch (thanks again EA) but with this, GTA online, and SimCity, it seems developers are being pushed to deliver product for publishers unable to support online infrastructure. Its mind numbing that even after the huge open beta test period they still got so much wrong.
on May 9, 2014
I'm a big fan of Bad Company 2 on the 360 and BF3 on the PC, but this isn't doing much for me. You can really tell the 360 version is a bit compromised. It seems to have improved with patches, but early on the game frequently locked up the 360, requiring a system restart...I play with a group of 5 friends, and everyone would lock up every hour or two (not at the same time). When a new map first loads, it takes a minute or two for all the sounds to get going. For instance: you might hear radio calls and soldier voices at first... then gun fire will become audible... then vehicle engines come in... then the rest of the ambience. Often, glass and/or chainlink fence graphics don't load until you're already standing against them... hard to tell if you need to break / cut them to move through. Some of the maps are too big for the 360's reduced player count... some of the maps with multiple air units have no one on the ground taking objectives in rush / conquest.

There are other gameplay elements I don't care for. I frequently get stuck on the terrain... sometimes curbs and/ or window frames require you to hold the jump button to climb over, sometimes they don't. Climbing out of water is rarely smooth. I can't adjust the size/scale of the mini-map. Maybe it's just that I'm not putting nearly the same numbers of hours into this as the others, but it seems like the unlocking pace is slower... this makes it even more difficult to play against the higher-level players; it'd be nice to have a matchmaking feature to reduce level disparities. The server-finding system is lacking a filter for expansion packs, so it's more difficult than necessary to find a game you may not have the proper expansion packs to join (if you try to join an expansion server, it points you towards the DLC store... annoying). The single-player campaign is not interesting...like BF3... NOT like BFBC2.

On the good side: larger squads, commander mode, wavy water/boats, and obliteration game type.... all nice new features.

I'm tempted to try it out on PC... I suspect it would be much better... if only my friends were playing on PC.
on December 25, 2013
I'm a longtime COD fan but have played nearly every Battlefield since 1942. I've never quite liked Battlefield as much as COD but as the latest COD hardly made any improvements, I decided to pick up a copy of Battlefield 4. I can surely say it was a waste of money. The short time I did get to play the game before crashing, the gameplay just wasn't up to par in my opinion. Battlefield players will probably like it, that's if they get to play it for more than 10 minutes without crashing.
on January 1, 2014
Battlefield 3 was where it was at, but this installment has fallen short. Every level had some sort of texture issue and when my player would enter smoke or fog everything would turn grey (if this was intentionally then it was a terrible idea because you are literally blind and the textures on your gun never load).

The campaign is nothing special but check this-the game won't save your campaign progress so be prepared to beat it in one sitting.

Bugs aside, the multiplayer saved this game for me. It's basically the same from 3. Some people have experience multiplayer bugs and server issues but I never did. That said, the multiplayer is solid but the single player was a disaster.

I snatched it up for 25$ on amazon cyber deal so I can't complain too much.
on November 2, 2013
EDIT 2 12/12/2013: A number of people have commented below and I feel the need to add their sentiments to the body of this review.

We're on update #3 for the 360 and other various platforms. I have a friends group comprised of 360, XB1, PS4, and PC players that all experience issues with this game.

The crashing continues, with little rhyme or reason. Our group used to experience the 360 hard-lock issue on Hainan Resort without fail, and that privilege is now bestowed on us by Dawnbreaker.

Our solution: Quit the game before the next map in the rotation loads. This is hardly what I'd call an ideal solution, and it's hardly limited to Dawnbreaker. Dawnbreaker just happens to be the map that will do it 9/10 times. The main issue this brings about is that then you have to regroup your party on another server, wait 1-5 rounds for the server to magically autobalance you with your party, or manually switch teams.

Putting it bluntly: This process sucks.

After looking through the live issue tracker on Battlelog, [..] I'm confident in saying that this game was released in this state on purpose, and that they knew it was going to be a S***storm of issues. We are somewhere past Alpha, but not anywhere near out of the Beta phase. We are actively Beta testing this product. I've currently paid $110 for the privilege of being inconvenienced by this game.

Thoughts:
Look through the Battlelog post linked above. If you read between the lines you can see that the Netcode is hopelessly screwed, and the apparent stress of launching across 5 platforms was more than the company was capable of. They are in full blown damage control at this point. During Double XP week, my console locked up so much that I probably missed out on half of the XP was supposed to be earning double on, and as a result, stopped caring and stopped turning it on.

This is literally the most broken Triple A title that I've ever played. For EA and DICE to be anything but utterly transparent about this situation is going to result in ill will that will turn people off from playing the next iteration. I sold my copy of Battlefield 3 when it was still worth 40 bucks as a trade in, I like this game, even in it's broken state, more than I ever did that game, but I won't make the mistake of buying the next title or it's Premium counterpart as a first run product.

Never again.

___________________________________

Edit: (THIS DIDN'T FIX SQUAT)There is a patch coming out soon for Consoles that may address the freezing issues. The fun factor of this game when playing with friends rates this a 5/5 in my book, but the technical issues are such a turn-off that I literally turn off my Xbox the first time it locks up and don't bother going back.

If they can fix that, it take this game from merely "Good" to GREAT!

Original Review:

***The Good stuff***

The sound engine is INCREDIBLE!

When this game works, and you aren't fighting against the design to actually get in a match a play it with friends, it's a blast. They've stepped back some of the design changes that were brought about in Battlefield 3, and changed the all-around feel of it, to more Bad Company 2, than Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 was an obvious attempt to capitalize on smaller battles and get in on the Call of Duty money train.

There are still flashlights that can blind in dark corridors, red-dot lasers that act as a "SHOOT HERE" target beacon, and some weirdness on the sniping front that could use some tweaking.

When the game is working the way it should, it's a 5/5.

Thanks for making 5-man fire teams a thing, and thanks for bringing back Commander

***The meat of the Crap Sandwich***

There are lots and lots of problems. Capital 'L' LOTS. These issues are anecdotal (NOT ANYMORE - see above), and vary be user experience but there is an EA support page that has vetted issues across multiple scenarios,and every one of my friends are having issues in some fashion across PS4, XB1, PC and 360.

Playing last night (11/15/13) we were all booted from various servers at various points of time (loading in, playing, checking the score, changing maps)

This game is obviously half-cooked on current gen consoles, and according to the support thread PC players are not exempt. There have been server patches but no client patch on 360/PS3 yet. (THERE WAS, IT SHUFFLED ISSUES AND RESOLVED NADA)

***The dirty truth***

-Random Freezing: During map cycles, during "Levelution" events, during server join, during round changes, during, "just standing there". This is absolutely freaking unacceptable in a retail release. This is some entry level QA stuff right here. They knew about this and let it release anyway. Shame on them.

-No party feature: I have to get a little teenager-y here but, Seriously! WHAT THE HELL? Dice has always missed the mark on this in their BF games on console, but this is just too much. In 2013, when every top tier release since 2006 has had a party system that isn't bass-ackwards, I simply can't understand the thinking behind this.

They also pulled Platoons from Battlelog, with the statement that they'll be back in 2014. DOUBLE WHAT THE HELL

-Graphical step back: If you need proof to see that the 360/PS3 are at the end of their run for pushing the graphical envelope in newer games, look no further. Halo 4, this ain't. When you've played every map a handful of times, you'll stop noticing or caring. There's stuff to blow up.

-No pre-game customization: I hate Battlelog, you shouldn't be forcing me to use my computer or tablet to organize stuff when I'm playing the damn game. During battle is not the time to force people to mess with their loadouts. This is, frankly, just stupid.

-Loadout Screen: The loadout screen is garbage. Pure garbage. I'm not unintelligent, I can navigate it, I can make it work. Somebody is in love with their UI design, and somebody has forgotten that you design this stuff for the players benefit, not your ego.

-LET ME EDIT MY CLASSES BETWEEN ROUNDS. Christ almighty how is this a hard concept?

-The UI: The UI sucks. It's a mess of menus and menus and more menus. Open up a menu? LOOK MORE MENUS! Say the work menu enough and you'll start to question your sanity.

-Battlelog: Seriously- EA, DICE? NOBODY LIKES BATTLELOG. If you like Battlelog, great. I hate you. For realsies, guise, I'm super-cereal, I won't play this game on the PC where it arguably is superior on all fronts because of how bad Battlelog is. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND BACKING A FAILED HORSE LIKE THIS. Quit floggin this dead animal.

- The Battlelog App sucks, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad. I've queried all my friends, and so far between the Ipad 3, Nexus 7, 7.2, an overclocked HP Touchpad, and some random Samsung thingy, the Battlelog app is Crap. It's a cr(app)

Miscellaneous:

I am constantly baffled by the design decisions they've made starting with BF3.

We should just start calling it Bafflefield.
1515 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2014
I have had all 4 battlefields now for Xbox360. I only play the campaign or single player mode. The game has de-evolved from the first version, in that the game play is less interesting, the character controls more simplified and approaching very arcade like and the story lines that set the battle scenarios have become less and less creative bordering more fantasy then the gritty realism of the game started with. Further, it often does not work correctly. Selecting rate of fire of your automatic weapon may select a gadget instead (like grenade gun). Sometimes the weapon targeting graticuls wont appear. Perhaps most annoying is that there no ability to turn off the music during game play. You also cant bypass the ridiculous scenes that set the next battle context. The game has still maintained its non linearity. Unlike most other games that must follow a narrow path of actions, Battlefield has a wider solution set to reach an objective
on December 15, 2013
I loved bf3. I assumed bf4 would be better......

I love this game when it works. I constantly freeze on multiplayer. I have downloaded all the updates, cleared my cache and everything else they ask for you to do. I still freeze. Its beyond frustrating. about 90% of the freezes come from Dawnbreaker on conquest. I have NEVER made it through a multiplayer game in dawnbreaker without my xbox freezing. This happens to everyone on xbox.

These companies rush games and put out terrible products to get the christmas releases. Im sick of buying games that glitch, freeze and dont work.
on October 11, 2015
I was a decent player of multiple Call Of Duty games before i got this. This was my first battlefield and in all honesty i really like how it is different from Call of Duty. It is great to have both Call of Duty and battlefield because these are two different games that have to be played differently with different strategies. Call of Duty is really fast paces and requires a lot of running up close to your enemies and firing while i've noticed that battlefield is a game that is more long range with bigger maps and you would usually see and fire at your enemy in longer distances. It is harder to just "bump" right into an enemy two feet away from you in battlefield. All in all i still play Call of Duty and battlefield and battlefield is a good game to play when alone of with your friend who also has the game while Call of Duty is a great game to play when friends are over at your house or vice versa. I wouldn't compare these two games to see which one is better because they both have their own style.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.