Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar, Cat (Packaging May Vary)
ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer

on October 15, 2013
I have four cats and Advantage had stopped working completely. The house and cats were hopping with fleas. It was horrible. I vacuumed. And flea combed. And used various products in the house short of fogging which is impractical when you have four cats living there. The vet's assistant had suggested these collars as an option. Came to Amazon because the price was much better and I needed multiple collars. Then I saw the reviews where people claimed their cats died and developed horrible skin reactions. That was a bit offputting. I hesitated. But the fleas were very bad and the vet's office--which I trust--had recommended them. I ordered three collars, figuring that I'd put them on my healthiest youngest kitties first (ages 11, 7 and 4--weights 10 to 16 pounds) first. My 14 year old cat (6 pounds) loves to be combed, so I would just comb her. When the collars arrived I, for perhaps the first time in my life, read the package insert that discussed the company's trials of the product. The only notable side effect observed in testing (as I recall it) was some dermatitis. It wasn't a lot of the trial participants but it was observed, and this explains the folks whose cats lost hair. Encouraged by the package insert, I put the collars on the cats. Initially, I was afraid that one of them was getting lethargic. Then I decided he had always been that lethargic and I was just paying more attention because I was afraid I was doing something that might kill my cats. Ultimately, the only effect these collars had was killing fleas. It took a couple of weeks because the fleas had gotten so bad, but they went away. About 99%. And the cool thing is, they also went away on my one cat on which I did not put a collar. Just having three collared flea killing machines wandering the house protects my fourth cat as well. She gets the occasional flea, but it's rare. And while I used to comb her twice a day to get the fleas off now I comb her once a week and find maybe one or two. Which seems pretty unavoidable given that she and two of the other cats go outside. It's been about six months now so the collars are supposed to last another couple of months. Hoping that by December there won't be fleas around to kill and that I can wait until spring for the next round of collars. Great product. Less expensive than Advantage for comparable months of effectiveness. And works like Advantage used to work when it was new.
77 comments| 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
The little collar that could...

Let me start out by saying we work at a veterinarian hospital. It has been a standing policy with everyone, including all of our veterinarians, that flea collars are only useful for chopping up and putting in a vacuum bag to kill fleas. They were just garbage, especially when compared to topical products.

Keep in mind, we don't get paid to say anything nice about this product. Our concern is some of the misinformation in previous reviews.

When the Seresto collar came to us and we were skeptical, obviously. At first, we didn't even want to shelve this product. We hadn't carried collars since... well, nobody could remember. After a good deal of talk, most of which involved convincing us that this was a new type of collar that was non-toxic, would cover the entire pet and not kill fleas Only at the neck, and could power through several months... We decided to give it a chance. This decision was in part because we had a new rescue kitty that had a very bad allergic reaction to topical flea treatments. These collars came along at just the right moment for us to try something new for her.

Believe us when we tell you how surprised we were that they worked. They didn't just work, they worked Well and lasted incredibly long for a collar. No bad reactions were indicated. Even a few others on staff began using them. We began stocking them shortly after and have heard nothing but praise from staff and clients since then.

Though we haven't seen any cases of chemical burns or hot spots directly related to these collars, such things can occur with any collar or flea medication. Not to mention numerous other factors. It's important to realize that your pets are as different from each other as humans are. They can have allergic reactions to any number of things. Even pets from the same litter can have very greatly in regards to allergies. One of the reasons we considered this collar at first was due to one of our rescue cats having a severe allergic reaction to topical flea treatments, something that the collar didn't continue. One of our dogs has allergies to grass and beef, among other things, that cause his ears and skin to turn bright pink and itch like crazy; while another of our dogs has such a severe reaction to turkey that her entire face begins to swell up.

The point is animals can have bad reactions just like humans. Don't demonize a product that works well for so many pets because your own pet had a bad allergic reaction. Do you have any idea how many people are allergic to Aspirin or other medications or foods? To the point that it could quite literally cause such a severe reaction they could die? Yet we don't go out of our way to throw stones at those companies and their products.

Be aware of your pets allergies. Visit your veterinarian and have an allergy test done for each pet, primarily if you see constant itching or bald spots. We can't tell you how many cases we've had of someone wanting a new flea product because their pet is Still scratching, when the reality is the pet is having a bad reaction to a new food or other product in the house. (Do you wash your pets bed using detergents? They can also have allergic reactions to soaps..)

Our hearts go out to everyone with a pet that has had a bad reaction. Believe us, we see so much suffering, intentional and unintentional, in this line of work and it never fails to move us. We hope you find the product that works for you and that you and your pets live long and happy lives.
66 comments| 316 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2014
This product works great for many many people. For us, we've used Seresto on both our cats and our dogs, and finally have found an affordable alternative for flea control! We've used this product for well over a year and this will be my third time ordering more for everyone. (We do have to bathe our pets occasionally, so it doesn't quite last us 8 months per collar.) I'm a dog trainer and frequently see other owners who also love this product and use it on their own pets, so it does work well when your pet isn't sensitive to it. Have not seen ONE flea on anyone in all this time - and we live in the deep south where the fleas are almost as abundant as the mosquitos. And daily/weekly combing (depending on which pet/coat) is part of our schedule, so they do still get checked just in case the collars might fail.

However, if you're going to try a new product - ANY new flea/tick product on your pet - please don't just leave it on for 24-48 hours or more and then sit back on your heels while your pet acts strange or starts having seizures. I can't believe how many reviewers have left this collar on for so long before they finally put two and two together and remove it if their pet has a reaction. Put this collar on when you'll be HOME, and when you're ready to monitor them for any and all adverse side effects. In fact I'd watch behavior for up to two weeks before I really relaxed, with any new product or drug. Duh. If your pet starts to act at all strange, remove the collar immediately and call your vet. This is not rocket science, people. Adverse reactions can happen with almost ALL current forms of flea and tick prevention, nothing seems to be 100% safe for every pet. But as far as my house is concerned, Bayer hit a home run with this one so far. Thank you Bayer!
1313 comments| 256 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2015
This Product caused severe dermatological reaction within a week or two of putting it on cat. Hair loss and open almost bleeding neck. See pictures. I think the manufacturer understated the potential risk.
review image review image review image
3030 comments| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2015
Killed all my cats fleas and my older cat had NO adverse reactions to the collar
BUT
There is a serious design flaw in the collar.
You must be absolutely certain before placing the collar on you pet, you have removed all cut "nibs" from collar or you may experience sad and expensive consequences.
When you open the package for the collar, you will discover it is in spiral with "nibs" leftover from the manufacturing process. These "nibs" holds the collar in its spiral shape. If you merely "cut" these "nibs" once to unroll the collar and then place it on your pet, bad things MAY happen. If only cut "once" you will leave sharp and dangerous "fangs" on the inside of the collar. These "fangs" can cut into your pets skin, delivering its pesticide directly into your animals blood stream. Very, Very Bad. If you take your time and make sure the inside of the collar is smooth by removing these "fangs" with a sharp knife, I believe you will have a much greater chance of a flea free happy pet outcome. I cannot be for certain but I believe many of the negative ratings of the collar are a result of this flaw.
33 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2015
PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING I am morally obligated to share my experience.
I got the Seresto flea and tick collar from my pet store after a recommendation from owner for being the best/most-expensive flea solution available. I like to give my girls the best care possible; Lola (2.5 year old Maine Coon) & Delilah (7 year old Boxer).
Day2: Activeness stopped, just took naps most of the day.
Day5: Realized both were not eating/drinking, that’s when I realized they were both getting sick. I googled the bad reviews for this collar, and I saw many reviews warning consumers not to use the collar because of sickness, seizures, and being allergic. So I took both collars off.
Day7: Took the girls to the vet because they were defiantly getting worse. $800 later; blood work, iv’s for hydration, steroid shots, special food recommendations. Vet could not figure out the cause of illness. Figured it was the cancer for 7yo Delilah. No real idea for Lola. She did try to call Seresto to question toxins/poisons that maybe in the collar, but could not get past the automated answering service to talk to a real person. Sent us home, said to come back if things got worse/not-better.
Day13: Delilah is recovering slowly, but steadily. Lola was a little better, eating/drinking some/little, but still not active; and 2yo kittens are very active normally.
Day14: 5:30am, Lola (who could not walk more than a couple feet at a time the previous day), crawled off my bed and into the bath tub. I was woken up from her call for help, found her in my tub, and she was in so much pain! I immediately called the vet ER for locations, it was too late. (I will not give the graphic details) On the phone, she went into a seizure and did not wake up after. Something that nobody EVER should haft to see! Horrifically sad☹ RIP Lola
I am 100% convinced it was this collar! It may work for some pets, but be tragic for others. How many for innocent, loved animals must did before a warning label is required??
review image
88 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2013
I originally gave this product 5 stars because it seemed to be a miracle solution for my 11yr old male Maine Coon. He gets terrible fleas and even drops had stopped working. This got rid of his fleas, but something much worse eventually happened. We started noticing that he was drinking and eating constantly but wasn't getting fat, if anything he seemed skinnier. We took him to the vet for the senior lab panel that the vet had recommended at his yearly checkup earlier this year. First off, we were astonished that he had dropped from 9 to 6.6 lbs!!! We thought maybe it was diabetes, but that was ruled out, along with kidney failure, thyroid, and just about everything else. The vet was stumped.

Meanwhile, our cat was getting sicker and sicker. He had not only diarrhea 7-8 times a day but brown water would leak out of him and we had to wash our sheets daily. He was lethargic, only wanted to lay huddled in one spot and when he did get up, his back legs often stumbled. We assumed that he was just dying of old age and we even suggested having him put down. He seemed so miserable. Then one night my husband said, "When did all this start exactly? Before or after he got that collar?" I slowly said, "A week after..." And it dawned on us. We never suspected the collar because the vet herself recommended it, had it on all her cats, and in all the tests and vet visits she never suggested it was the collar causing the symptoms. I Googled Seresto symptoms and there's not much feedback out there since it's new, but there is a lady in the UK whose cat had some similar symptoms to ours. I tore this expensive collar off without a second thought. I mean, we couldn't be sure that he wasn't just dying, but I figured if he was dying anyway, we didn't care about fleas.

Well, it's a month since we removed the collar, and he has improved almost 100%. No more diarrhea, is back up to 8lbs, has his energy back (caught a bird this morning). It was definitely the collar causing the problems. He had no other treatments or changes.

I'm not telling people not to use this product, as I understand it works wonderfully for most cats and very few cats will have reactions to it. But I want there to be a black box warning on the product that if you cat develops diarrhea after wearing this collar, to remove it and seek vet help immediately. I want people to be aware that the chemicals in this can make your cat very ill. Everyone I've told about this says, "Well, of course, flea collars are terrible." I tell them, oh no, but this one was new and different, and they just give me a pitying look, and I realize how stupid I was.
3737 comments| 430 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2015
This collar made my cats skin breakout so it wasn't good for him. He now has open wounds which around his neck which are taking a long time to heal.
review image review image
on June 3, 2015
After placing Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar on my extremely healthy 6-year-old indoor/outdoor cat, over three or four days he gradually became extremely lethargic, ultimately was in apparent pain (moving very slowly, arching back, turning often to new resting position). He soon found a new protected area under a table on the floor and just slept all day for a couple of days, as if instinctively preparing to die. He was unresponsive to my offers to pet him, barely lifting his head in response to my touch. Removed collar, did not put any other collar on him, and within two or three days he was his old rambunctious self. I'm out $100 for two collars - never did put the other one on the other cat. So it goes. Think twice before purchasing!
review image
33 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2015
My daughter lives in the south, and has a brand new apartment on the fourth floor. She has a cat that has never been outside the apartment yet thanks to the abnormally warm, dry winter, fleas are everywhere and the cat got them. We immediately treated the cat with Frontline topical treatment, treated the house, laundered everything, vacuumed twice a day. Within a week the infestation was worse. The fleas are apparently immune to the Frontline on the market this year. The pet stores throughout the area were out of this Seresto collar and after reading the reviews I knew she had to have one so ordered it from Amazon. It arrived as promised and within 24 hours she was no longer finding fleas on the cat. She has retreated, vacuumed and washed everything and its now been 48 hours and it appears to be under control. The cat is still trying to remove the collar so I have also ordered a pheromone diffuser in hopes that this will calm her and help her adjust. But the flea collar is staying. It is supposed to work at least 8 months, in the same way the topical treatments do, so its way more convenient and effective. Fingers crossed!