Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Bayou Classic 1060 62-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot
Size: 62 quarts|Color: Silver|Change

on July 15, 2013
I purchased this pot since a friend of mine had one and has been using it for a while. I purchased this on May 30th and unfortunately wasn't able to use it until now (July 15th). I saw the reviews so I filled my pot a few days ago and let it sit for an hour and saw no leaks. Great I thought. Today I was going to brew my first 5 gallon batch of beer. I pulled out my burner, added 5 gallons of water to the pot and fired it up. It's a hot day out so I thought it was just condensation forming about 1.5" from the bottom because of the cool (70ish) water. After a closer look I noticed that near the bottom of the pot it was actually dripping. Then I saw another drip from a different spot. Then another spot started to drip. I turned everything off and discovered pitting all around the outside of the bottom of the pot almost like a ring about 1.5" from the bottom. It was like a strainer.

So in the end, I cannot return this since I missed the return window. I will try to smear some jb weld on it to see what happens. Hopefully that will fix the leaking. If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this, let me know. If not, I guess I am just out of $80. Live and learn?

If you purchase this pot, fill it to the top and put it on your burner. Like I said above, it was fine until I added heat to it.

EDIT 07-15-2013 3:57pm: Just called the customer service department. They asked that I email them a few pictures of the pitting. I received an email back within an hour stating that they were sending me a new pot via UPS and it would be in the mail today. AWESOME customer service. Had to change it to 3 stars just because of that.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2017
Nice pot!... but the lid is not as shown!
The lid is flat a with permanent black laser type printed warning in English & Spanish that pretty much defaces the lid.
See my photos.
Also their dimensions are off a bit.
I tried to remove the printed bilingual warning on top with GooGone but it didn't touch it.
It's a shame too!
The nice clean rounded lid shown in their pictures & on the box is beautiful instead of the flat ugly eyesore they sent.
I'll see if they will send a replacement as shown in their pictures & if they do I'll change the rating.
Actual dimensions you can see in my photos are:
17" wide including handles,
15-1/2" high including "flat" lid,
14-3/8" pot only height
14-3/8" pot OD
13-3/8 pot ID
review imagereview image
on August 16, 2016
This stock pot is a great size, and included strainer fits well and is handy. The handles are sturdy, and the top fits well. Over all I really liked this pot.

However, After only a few uses, and being stored in my kitchen when not in use, it developed two small holes in the center of the bottom of the pot. This makes it useless! I've only used this pot to boil stock in. The holes seem to have developed while sitting dry in storage.

What could have caused these holes to develop, and is this something common to stainless steel?
review image
on January 25, 2018
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! I brew beer and was looking at moving from making 5 gallon extract to 10 gallon all grain. Actually my friends were interested in the move, and convinced me to do it first. I went with the 22 Gallon size because I figured, if I am going to make this move, I want to be able to expand if I want, and seriously the price difference between the 15 gallon and the 22 gallon pot was laughable ... This pretty much backfired on me, and now I have brewed about twenty batches, the first one was 8 gallons, it was so sad looking at all of that wasted space that should have been wort - my burner on the other hand had an impossible task of bringing it to a boil ... Changed out the hose for a high pressure hose, and decided to try a 10 gallon batch .... turns out it brought 15 gallons of wort to boil no problem - except now it sounds like an Airbus 310 taking off. So, now I am stuck, I can only brew 15 gallon batches, every time I try for something smaller, I think - WHY?! I do refuse to add a ball valve to my pot however as I brew next to my swimming pool, I use it as an ice bath, and use a pump to cycle the pool water through my immersion chiller, I can bring my boiling wort down to 80 degrees in 15 minutes flat (unless it is really cold outside). Side note, moving around 15 gallons of boiling wort is a two man job (it is more than 120 lbs of beer, and this pot is no feather weight either).

DO NOT BREW IN A BAG, at least not with this kettle and an Edelmetall Burner, my bag burned to a crisp (and it didn't touch the bottom), the beer was still pretty amazing, and I am going to add some smoked malt to add the smokiness without the tangy burned flavor on the back.

Best $160 add to my home brew setup :-) - now I am brewing beer for a quarter of the cost of the cheapest swell you can buy, and I ALWAYS have enough homebrew around when anyone (or everyone) comes over.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 24, 2017
Don't know why this product has such a high rating. It's got a nice polished finish but it's on the thin side. Came with a dent in a bad spot which will shorten the pots life. I'm only using it to catch honey from my extractor otherwise I would return it because of the dent right in the bottom edge. The pot was packaged nice so the dent was present when it was packed which reflects poorly on their quality control.
on January 18, 2017
This is a good pot for the price, but for homebrewing I would spend a little more for thicker material. If you're just getting starting started, this pot will work just fine. It heats up quickly and holds temperature remarkably well given how thin it is. The downside to the thin material is that it burns and dents easily. Burn marks are easily removed with some Star San. I have also used this pot for shrimp/crab boils and have no complaints there. This was definitely the cheapest stainless steel pot of this size that I could find when I bought it a few years ago. I would give it 4.5 stars instead of 5 for the thin material, but seeing as it's still going strong several years after purchase I can't really complain.
on December 5, 2012
I brew either 10 or 15 gallon batches and this kettle does a great job. I run off about 18 gallons to it and expect just under 3 gallons of boil off. By having it hold just over 20 gallons I can manage the heat break just fine. It cleans up easy and I've done about 30 batches with it. The handles are welded on but seem very sturdy. We have to heft this beast with 15+ gallons and the only thing with a chance of breaking is our backs.

I've very happy with this product. For anybody thinking of brewing 10 gallons batches but just might want to move to 15 (like what I did) this kettle is perfect. I have not put a spigot or anything like that on it so I can't make a comment in that direction. The lid is pretty nice, it has a a very small hole in it that you could maybe use to poke a thermometer down in. Overall the kettle is a solid piece of metal. 2 of my other brewing buddies use the exact same one, we all love them and the 3rd brew friend is jealous...

If I somehow lost this kettle I would immediately just buy another one since it's so much cheaper then what any Local Home Brew Store would sell, or any top end Blichmann kettle.
on April 22, 2015
This large pot is fine, and arrived as advertised. It is just the right size and shape for large soups and big jobs for a big family. I was a bit disappointed with the construction and would have paid more for a thicker heavier version. When it is 2/3 or more full it will flex a bit on my stove's gas burner, however does not show any sign of failure or major problem yet, and I don't expect it to.. The lid fits well but is also very light weight. I have no major complaints and this pot will be fine for most people, but given the opportunity I would have gone for a heavier stronger version of the same sized pot.
on December 20, 2012
I bought this pot to serve my homebrewing hobby, with plans to drill a hole and install a weldless bulkhead for easy draining. Not sure what the gauge of the stainless steel is, but it feels substantial and heavy enough for my needs. Thanks to it not being super heavy gauge, drilling out this pot was a breeze, and I now have a fantastic brewpot that is comparable to some that go for 2-3 times as much as I spent on this one. Very happy with this purchase and I expect you will be too!

My only minor knock on this pot is that (again, due to its relatively light gauge), it dents rather easily. Very minor point, but enough to "ding" a star. Still, no regrets! Great value.
on November 24, 2015
While this pot is very pretty to look at, a real shinny thing, it really is very, very thin. including the bottom. And there in lies the problem. Heat distribution then is a bit poor, but worse for longevity, it will not remain flat on the bottom. Now if you use gas, no problem with a rounded bottom, but if you use electric, particularly glass counter top, this will inhibit proper heating and even cooking. I just use it for a hot water bath so it is not critical, but as an overall pot, this one is rather poor.