Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Bayou Moon (The Edge, Book 2)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on January 25, 2016
I'm a late arrival to the I.A. feast. Urban Fantasy has not been my top genre and I typically prefer romance to take a more dominant place in my novels and to have a bit more of an adult edge to it. However, after I ventured into this writing team's realms a few weeks ago with Burn For Me, I promptly dove into the feast of the Andrews team books with all the gustatory appetite they deserve.

The central themes and character development in this four book series transcend genre. And, the romance is deep and fulfilling to those of us whose appetite for that is endless.

I didn't think the author team could give me anything better than Declan and Rose in book one but I was certainly left with angst regarding Williams character in it. Thankfully, in this second book William comes to the fore, incandescent in his beauty of soul and spirit as a fighter and as the man himself, with the radiance of a Harvest moon. Cerise is a powerhouse of a woman to match him. The sheer scope of emotional depth not to mention intellect in these two is spellbinding.

The layers upon layers of relationship and connection rippling out from William and Cerise are as complex and endless as the myriad ripples seen on the surface of a deep forest lake in the tempest of a summer storm. They are mesmerizing and I found myself rereading sections simply to increase my absorption of the detail. This is a banquet you cannot rush, so many individual flavors that bear savoring.

I'm not good at tracing the plot step by step as other reviewers will do and do well. My inspiration to write a review comes from the intensity and emotional context through which I experience the characters and their world. Is the quality of the writing such that I can genuinely live in this world with them? Feel their anguish, terror or passion? Know their torment or their peace as if it were my own? Was it so real to me, for the ephemeral moments that I lived with them, that upon returning to this world I'm shaking from the force of the transition, weak kneed and dizzy trying to compensate for the loss of that magic, much like crossing the boundary of the Edge? Oh, yes. All that and more.

If you are a reader inspired by similar tastes, you'll find a glorious and subtle blend of flavors to savor in this book. But be warned, once you develop a taste for this you'll never accept substitutes!
on September 15, 2017
I cannot believe I’ve never written a review for this.

But as I sit here and try to think of how to quantify my feels about this book with words… I kind of can understand why I have not.

I adored On the Edge. Declan and Rose were fantastic. George and Jack wormed their way into my heart and made me love them. The world – as to be expected from Ilona Andrews – was amazing, fun, and scary. I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel getting away from them so completely. Sure, I’d met William in that book and liked him well enough, but still. Fortunately, for me, these authors know how to pull me along in a story.

William. What can I say about William? He’s such an amazing character. He’s been used and abused for the majority of his life, and while he does have some self-pity about it he’s mostly just trying to forge his own life. He separated himself from everything that was painful in the past and – when we start the book – he’s living on his own terms. He wants, more than anything, family and love. He doesn’t think they’re for him because he’s been abandoned so frequently, but he still yearns for them. That, along with his absolute loyalty and protective drive, made me love him. How he grew to be the man he is – honorable, kind, compassionate – with his upbringing, blows my mind.

__“If you let him, he’ll love you forever and he won’t know how to let go. Make sure you truly want him before you take that plunge.”

If there’s one thing you need to know about Ilona Andrews it’s that they write kick-ass heroines. Cerise is no exception. She’s well trained, determined, loyal, and absolutely willing to be the shield and the sword that her family needs of her. She has the responsibility of her entire large clan depending on her, and even when it’s too much she never shrugs it off. Unlike William, Cerise grew up with love. The Mars family may be poor, may be called Rats, but there’s genuine care and loyalty between them.

Unlike most of Ilona Andrews other books and series this series falls more firmly on the romance side of the genre labels. It still has amazingly strong world-building, and fantastic action plots, but the romance is definitely front and center, with a different couple in each book, and their relationship/courtship being one of the main threads throughout. What’s awesome is that you get the best of Urban Fantasy and the best of Romance all rolled into one book.

William and Cerise are amazing on their own. I loved them for themselves. But you put them together and they blew my mind. Their interactions are so much fun, and their reactions to each other are priceless. I love that William has no games to play. What he feels is absolute. I really appreciated that Cerise didn’t use that against him. She played no games with him either.

__Everything he thought registered on his face. His wife would have no guesswork. If he was sad, she’d know. If he wanted sex, she’d know. If he wanted another woman, she’d know, too. He wasn’t capable of lying, even if he wanted to.

Though I’m a big advocate of reading series in order, you don’t have to have read On the Edge prior to picking up this book. There’s very little crossover, and it mostly come at the end. If you have read it (and it’s worth reading!) you’ll remember that just outside our world (which is called the Broken – for its lack of magic), there’s the Edge, and on the other side of that is the Weird. Why the citizens their call their world the Weird, I’m not quite sure, but they do.

In the Edge there’s a mix of the magic from the Weird, and the lack of magic from the Broken. Electricity works there, so do curses. If you’re lucky you can travel between the realms, but it’s going to hurt like hell going through the border. And if you have too much magic – or too little – the crossing could kill you.

I like to think of the Weird and the Broken as cosmic balances for each other. Our history, in the Broken, is flipped almost exactly on its head in the Weird. There are parallels, but things are also very, very different. In their counterpart to North America, there are two main Dukedoms that have long been involved in a cold war. Instead of going to war outright – and destroying both of themselves – they throw spies at each other. Adrianglia has the Mirror. The Dukedom of Louisiana has the Hand. While the Mirror prefers their gadgets and magic weapons, the Hand prefers to alter their people. And they come up with some grotesque, but dangerous, alterations.

And here’s where things get interesting. The Hand has agents in the Mire (a part of the Edge) looking for something, a weapon that will be devastating to the war between Adrianglia and Louisiana. The leader of the Hand’s agents is a man that’s now called Spider. No one the Mirror has thrown against him has come back alive. No one has gotten close to taking him out, except one man. William. So when the Mirror shows up, dangling that bit of unfinished business in front of William, he can’t refuse.

He didn’t expect to run full-on into an eighty-year feud – at the center of this whole mess – with Cerise standing in the middle of the storm.

__“Who’s your friend?”

__“His name is William. He’s from the Weird. I found him in the swamp and he followed me home.”

__“Did you feed him?”

__“There’s your mistake. That will do it every time.”

I see, from my notes, that I enjoyed the scenes with Spider (in his POV) the first time I read it, but I have to admit that this time I just wasn’t in the mood – I skimmed and skipped the majority of those parts. He’s a sociopath. Completely sane, actually, but evil. And Spider believes that he’s doing good for his country. I’m reminded of a quote from Shadowfever: “Evil is bad that believes it’s good."

While I didn’t enjoy these sections as much this time through, it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the novel one bit.

__“The world is full of monsters. I chose to become one, so the rest of my country-men can sleep peacefully in their beds, knowing that their families are shielded by the likes of me.”

William, Cerise, her large, crazy family, the action, the suspense, intrigue and magic mystery had me absolutely enamoured – all over again.

I loved the little bit of a visit we get with George and Jack near the end of the book, and the epilogue just made me grin and fist-pump. I love that Cerise doesn’t lose any of her bada--ness because she’s mated. She’s just as strong, just as kick-ass.

I can’t wait to dive into the next book. This is my first re-read of this series, and I’m finding that I don’t remember much, so it’s a little like reading again for the first time. I love it.

__“(Eff) easy, Ceri. If you love him, fight for him. Nothing worth keeping is free in this world.”
on October 6, 2017
I do like this book, so I don't want to rate it the same as every other luke-warm genre novel that I feel just blends into the crowd. Bayou Moon is better than that, but it ends up having some themes that get tiring after a while. Also, is it me, or does every bit of dialogue between these characters get explained in narrative exposition right after the characters are done speaking? The pattern begins to get repetitive and a little tedious about halfway through. I kept thinking that these characters' dialogue should be able to speak for itself once in a while, but their communication remains steadily burdened with explanation. Thematically though, I ended up feeling like this must have been largely written by a man. That's not a bad thing in itself, but there was just this constant edge of male domination between the characters that defined all the tension. There's this macho thing of the male characters sizing one another up in terms of body language, how much of a physical threat they represent, lack or abundance of assertiveness and logic, "the smell of fear" being on whoever's skin, et cetera. I get that it was a book about a militaristic family and a guy who'd been exiled from a different military, but by the time the bad guy came around, being all super scary by "smelling his underlings' fear" and smashing furniture to make a point and other such uber-machoness, it just reached the point of being a little silly. It calls to mind the whole "men are animals, women are people" BS line of popular logic. Realistically though, culture informs people of how they should be, and all the macho stuff aside, in this book, the people definitely have their own special cultures, full of gritty, dark, magical, cool stuff. All in all, I figure a little silly never killed no one. This is still a sexy, interesting, fun, engrossing book, even with it's shortcomings. So if you can stand the silly and like the sound of the other stuff in this novel, it is definitely worth a read. It is fun and badass, and kind of hot.
on December 13, 2017
This is the second book in "The Edge" series by Ilona Andrews. “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. This book is about a world divided into three different worlds. The Broken is the world we live in where no magic exists. The Weird is where there is magic. Both humans and some creatures in the Weird have magic. The edge is the narrow boundary between the worlds. Here magic exists, but only in a weaker state than in the Weird. Also some of the Broken's technology will work in the Edge but not all. The people who live in the Edge can travel into the Broken but if they stay too long they will lose their magic and be unable to return. Some but not all can travel into the Weird but only if their magic is very strong. Most people in the Broken and in the Weird can't travel from one world to another and most don't know the other even exists.
In this one Cerise Mar and her clan live in the "Mire", a swampland located in the Edge near the state of Louisiana in the Broken and the Kingdom of Louisiana in the Weird. The Kingdom Of Louisiana and the country of Adrianglia in the Weird are nearing a war with other and the Kingdom of Louisiana sends it's most feared agent, Spider, into the Edge where he kidnaps Cerise Mar's parents with the help of a rival clan, the Sheerlies who have been at feud with the Mar's for many generations. Cerise is left to take charge of her clan and get her parents back. Meanwhile a group from the Weird called "The Mirror" has hired William an ex-solder and a shapeshifter to go after Spider and find out why he kidnapped the elder Mar's. He meets Cerise and immediately falls for her and he decides to help her find her parents while he also finds out what Spider is up to. He also has and old grudge against Spider who killed some Innocent children and he intends to kill him. This book has many twists and turns and plenty of action and a little romance too. I recommend to fans of Ilona Andrews.
on July 30, 2016
The audio version I give 2 stars to as despite the text as written the audio version made the evil characters sound more like cartoon villains rather than the evilness that slaughters children.

3.5 Stars
Now to the actual book written by Andrews, this is book two of The Edge series and can be read as a standalone as Andrews does a great job of explaining the world to a new reader. This stories deals with William the wolf as he enters The Edge on a spy mission. The book is written in third person and there is a major romance in the book between William and swamp girl Cerise. I am still a little lost as at the beginning of the story Cerise had two brothers and then they were never mentioned after chapter three. So this left me with an uneven read, as I hate characters that disappear.
As to the world building I really like that the mundane world lives along side a parallel world of magic, with the Edge being the area where the two combine.

For Kate Daniel readers these books have more sex in them as the Romance aspect of the book is moved along quicker because each couple only has one book to set the relationship in.

I think if I would have read the book I may have enjoyed it more. Not a fan of this story teller. My recommendation is read the book don't listen to it.
on April 1, 2014
I was disappointed early in On the Edge that William was not the love interest. He is so lonely and broken that I wanted him to be what Rose was looking for. Luckily I came to like Rose and Declan together but still poor William left to go into hiding and had no one. Cerise on the other hand has a huge family living in the swamp between worlds and every single one of them seems a little on the crazy side, so she should have no trouble taming Lord William…right?

“Why couldn't she have gotten another Edger or some dimwit from the Broken for a passenger? No, she got Lord Leather Pants here.”

The snarky humor between Cerise and William was fantastic. She comes from a large family and is trying to save their land after he parents have been kidnapped by an organization of magically mutated beings. William is trying to find the same beings to take out their leader once and for all. But just because their goals line up doesn’t mean that everything else does right away.

“William strode to her. That’s how it’s done. Drink it in.
She surveyed the carnage behind him. “Did you have fun?”
He showed her his teeth. “Yes. Now they won’t take you anywhere.”
Cerise stepped closer to him, so close he only needed to lean in and dip his head and he would kiss her. Since he saved her, maybe he could just grab her and—
“That was the stupidest thing you have done since I’ve met you,” she ground out through her teeth.
Belay the grabbing.”

Cerise is a strong heroine. She is easy to like because everything she does is for her crazy family and she has no time or inclination for angst or drama. William is drawn to the woman she it right away and one that doesn’t even want to be saved by him, it is a confusing thing.

The enemy is even greater than in On the Edge as the magically mutated Hand operatives are searching for Cerise and doing unspeakable things to the parents they abducted from her. Spider is truly horrible and a great bad guy as he sees nothing wrong with what he is doing, I loved hating him.

One of the things I liked the best about this book was Cerise’s family. They were funny and a handful. Her grandmother the wise and knowing was full of mischief and Kaldar making absurd bets because that is how his magic worked trying to marry Cerise off. The clan was full of mischievous characters that added all kinds of fun.

“How did the hearing go?” she asked.
“We won, sort of,” Kaldar said. “We die at dawn.”
“The court gave the Sheeriles twenty-four hours,” William corrected.
“Yes, but ‘we die at dawn the day after tomorrow’ doesn’t sound nearly
as dramatic.”
“Does it have to be dramatic all the time?” Catherine murmured.
“Of course. Everyone has a talent. Yours is crocheting and mine is
making melodramatic statements.”

The feud between the families seemed almost of Hatfield and Maccoy standards in its duration and fallout, with a few more laughs maybe. Kaldar was an interesting character and the Hero of the next book. I’m interested to see what kind of trouble he can get into, he seems a very mischievous man indeed.

There wasn’t a lot of time needed for world set up so the story flowed much better from the first book. Everything about this magic system and the characters in it is really growing on me. I enjoyed seeing Jack and George a few years later along with Declan and Rose.

If you like Ilona Andrews then I’m sure you will be able to find something in this that you love. Kate Daniels is still my favorite series of theirs so if you have already read that might as well try out this world too.
on August 1, 2015
I've been a fan of Ilona Andrews since I first discovered "Magic Bites" so finding the Edge series as well done and interesting as the Kate Daniels books wasn't a huge surprise. I believe the Edge books are classified as romance but I would say they are more complex than a typical romance. All of the characters - even the bad guys - have layers and dimension and never feel cartoonish or cookie-cutter. One of the things I love about Spider is that even though he's as despicable as he is, you still have a sense of his humanness and the things that drive him so he doesn't feel cartoon-evil. He's still a horror, though, no doubt about it.
William, though - he's my most favourite character in this series. There's just something about him that endears him to me. Don't get me wrong - all of the Andrews' characters are pretty spectacular but William, for me, is one of the best. He's a very close second to Kate...and Dina...and Curran...and - you know, let's just leave it at I really, really, really like William.
on April 14, 2013
From my blog On Starships and Dragonwings

A monster without any family and a young woman suddenly forced to lead her family when her parents are kidnapped are thrown together in a plot much thicker than either of them could guess in Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews. Fortunately for them, they are both pretty darn attractive, so once this annoying villain thing is taken care of, things look promising ;-).
I think it's been established that I'm a huuuuge Ilona Andrews fan. I love her Kate Daniels series and I love the first book in the Edge series, On the Edge. What's that you say? Haven't read On the Edge? No worries! The Edge books are not a sequential series and each book is nearly a standalone. The only spoilers that you'll get are if the first pair gets together and what ends up happening to them (both of which are pretty obvious since it's a romance ;-) ). You can read Bayou Moon and still enjoy On the Edge's plot. However, if you want to be completely pristine, you should start with On the Edge.

Title: Bayou Moon
Author: Ilona Andrews
Pages: 447 (paperback)
Genre-ish: Urban (swamp?) fantasy
Rating: ★★★★☆ - really fun, minor flaws

Yey William! I was thrilled when I found out Bayou Moon featured William, who was a minor character from On the Edge, he rocks :D and totally deserves to get the girl ;-).
The bad guy is suuuuuper creepy and bad, but also explains why he is the way he is and it makes a fair amount of sense in a demented bad guy way. All of this gives Bayou Moon an awesome bad guy that you love to hate :D.
Daw, the romance is so cute! Even when you want to smack `em in the head and lock them in a room together, haha!
Those plots twists... wow, did not see them coming! Some of them were pretty shiver worthy too, but I bet you will be surprised by Bayou Moon :).
I just couldn't get into the swamp setting.... All the gross dampness and mud and snakes popping up out of water *shivers* made me not super excited to dive make in (haha).
Gah, gross scenes are gross! I won't spoil anything, but there is a bit of gore and injury that disturbed me, not for the faint of heart.
Part of the ending was epic, but then the rest wrapped up pretty suddenly in a neat little bow, which is never realistic ;-).
The plot and characters of Bayou Moon were marvelous, simply marvelous! I just couldn't get myself into the setting for some reason, and the gruesomeness of the villain just went too far for me at times *shivers*, but if you think you can deal with those moments of discomfort, you should definitely continue with the Edge books because they are just so much fun! I still just completely love the magic of the Edge and having new main characters for each books seems to be working really well to expand the world. I'm on to book three now :D.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2010
I read this book on my Kindle. It is the second book in The Edge series by husband and wife book writing team, Ilona Andrews. There are four books contracted for this series. You don't really have to read the first book, On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1), to enjoy this one; although some characters from the first book do make an appearance in this one.

Cerise Mar and her family own tons of land in the Mire, the Edge Swamplands, but they are poor. When Cerise's parents are captured by a feuding family; she is now the family's leader and will stop at nothing to get her parents back even if it does mean rekindling an ages old feud with the competing Mire family. But things are more complicated than Cerise could imagine. William, the changeling from the first book in the series, has been hired by the Mirror to track down an agent of the Hand (both factions represent nations of the Weird) named the Spider. William and Cerise find that their paths will cross and that Cerise's family feud may be connected to a silent war being waged between the Mirror and the Hand.

I actually liked this book quite a bit more than On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1), and I liked that book a lot. The plot for this book is a lot more complex, there is more battle and more intrigue. This book also ties in more of the politics that are happening in the Weird and it was great to see more of the infrastructure that makes up the Weird; we never got to see much of the Weird in the first book.

William and Cerise are wonderful characters. Cerise is tough and shoulders her responsibilities to her huge family well; she has some weak moments but that only makes her easier to love as a character. William is a wonderful match for Cerise, he is just as tough as Cerise and comes with a lot of baggage which makes him a realistic and lovable character as well. The chemistry between these two characters is amazing; you are really rooting for them the whole book. Even the side characters are unique and well developed. There are a number of side characters in the group of the Hand and in Cerise's family that could hold a story all their own; they are wonderfully complex and interesting.

This book is more of an urban fantasy than a paranormal romance. There are a couple steamy scenes between Cerise and William. William is one of those "Mate-for-life" alpha males which makes the story lean a little to the romance side at some points. That being said there is a ton of action and some truly awesome fight scenes in the book, and it is these type of scenes that make up the majority of the story. Nothing ever gets overly serious in this book; the characters have a great sense of humor and the dialogue and banter does an excellent job reflecting this.

As with ever other book I have read by the Andrews; the plot is tight, the fight scenes well done, the romance scenes well done, the book very engaging, great world-building, and lovable characters. Just a great book overall.

Overall this was a wonderful addition to this series. This book broadens the world we were introduced to in the first book, On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1), and has a more complex story than the first book did. Cerise and William are tough characters who really kick-butt but are at the same time lovable. I can't wait to read the next book in this series to see what it adds to the story. Ilona Andrews has quickly become an author who can do no wrong as far as I am concerned...everything I have read by this husband and wife team has been wonderful. Definitely check out their Kate Daniels series; I love that series just as much as, if not more than, this series. If you enjoy this series and the Kate Daniel's series I highly recommend the following Jaz Parks by Jennifer Rardin, Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep, Dorina Basarab by Karen Chance, and Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter. All feature tough female characters and highly developed, creative worlds that lean more towards urban fantasy than paranormal romance.
on May 30, 2017
This is a great series, It holds you till you finish and then you want the next book right away. I really like that some of the characters from the previous book are included or mentioned. The Andrews are complete storytellers. Wonderful characters, fully developed so you feel that you are right with them. Plot fully developed too. I feel like I was there the whole time!