Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bears in the Night
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 30, 2000
A true Berenstain Bear Classic. Few words for the very young who must turn pages often, but so full of fun.
This story HAS to be read with great drama. Never mind about any "grown-ups" listening who just don't understand. You must whisper as the cubs s-n-e-a-k out of the window, whisper more quietly as they c-r-e-e-p around in the dark. Then ... I won't spoil the surprise!
If you look closely at the Mama Bear at the end, somehow you know by her little smile that she knows what her cubs have been up to!
Great fun for you and your "cubs", no matter how often you read it together. Do not give this book away. Your cubs will have cubs who will love to sneak, creep and dash along with the Bear cubs. And you can have a little smile.
on April 26, 2000
What a wonderful book for children and how many great memories! I can't even think of the title of this book without a grin plastered to my face. When I was very tiny and first learning to read aloud, I used to read this book to my younger brother. He found it riveting and it quickly became his favorite book and a nightly ritual to "read" the book. Ordinarily, no reading took place because the book was so simple to memorize. I can still recite the entire volume, cover to cover, almost thirty years later!
My brother now has two sons and the first present I bought for them was a spanking new copy of "Bears in the Night." The elder of the two has it commited to memory. Since the younger boy is only six months old, I'll give him a few more months until he has done the same!
Seriously, this book has a simple but attention grabbing plot where the kids are mischevious and sneak out of bed after dark. They go exploring and soon find that scary things lurk in the dark on the top of Spook Hill. Thankfully, they make their way home to safety. Somehow, you know that Mom was completely aware of what they were up to but knowingly let the children learn this lesson for themselves.
on May 27, 1999
I am in my 20's now, but I still have my copy of "Bears in the Night" that was passed on to me from my cousin in the 1970's. That book holds so many great memories for me. My mom and I read it together many, many times and was it especially helpful in teaching sight words. It is funny too, I still laugh everytime I think of the bears sneaking up "Spook Hill"!
on May 29, 2015
This book has to be fake. If it is produced by the same publishers then the production quality has faltered. The paper and image quality appears to be a photocopied version of the original. I purchased a second-hand version from eBay that dates back to the 80s and not only were the colours more rich and vibrant, the paper was thicker and more durable, and the book had an overall feel of quality to it that made it enjoyable to read. The cover on this Amazon copy was also different to the more original version.

I will not buy children's books again from Amazon. Very disappointed.
on October 27, 2014
I wish I could purchase the audio with this book. I remember it from my childhood. My four year old enjoyed the book, but likes the Old Spooky Tree much better! This book has simple sentences and is great for reading beginners!
on April 12, 2001
Every person has a favorite. Every author has a one that sells better than the rest. But "Bears in the Night" does something even more special - it is a book that people *love* unlike any other. Readers of all ages are drawn to its simple text; millions can recite them almost word for word... "down the tree ... over the bridge ..." Combined with brilliant illustrations so distinctive of the early days of the Berenstain Bears, a beautiful marriage of words and pictures becomes a work of art. "Bears in the Night" is a book for bedtime, story time, any time. It is a book for Halloween, a book for camp. It is a book for all places and all people and all times. Call me sentimental, but a hundred years from now, "Bears in the Night" will remain. It may not sell as many copies as "The Cat in the Hat" or teach a lesson like "The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room," but it will always have worn corners... it will always cause a child's jaw to drop or eyes to widen... it will always hold a place in people's hearts... and as a result, Spook Hill and the safety of that tree house deep in Bear Country will be more than places on paper, but dreams and fantasies and real living places inside the minds and hearts of every person who reads this book.
on May 20, 2014
I love using this book to teach prepositional phrases. I have used it K through 3rd grades and the kids have all loved it. I read it to them first, then we act it out by going on a journey around the school. As it says "in bed", they are at their seats. "Out of bed", they get up from their chairs.... We climb over and under, around and through, until we end up back "in bed". Older students then write their own books using prepositional phrases.
on November 30, 2014
The Berenstain Bears night time adventure. The small bears hear a strange noise in the night and go out their window to find out what made the noise. Out the window, down the tree, under the bridge, over the hedge, well you get the picture. A wonderful Berenstain classic. Just a few words, along with wonderfully detailed illustrations. t is enjoyable for toddlers and great for first time readers too. We have a two year old who loves the easy to follow story and the beautiful pictures. His first introduction to the Berenstain Bears was the book "Inside, Outside, Upside Down!", which he loved, so we bought this one and were not disappointed. It is now one of our favorites, and it is so innocent and cute we recommend it for all families with small children.
on August 12, 2013
Our original copy of this book was finally destroyed, so I replaced it this year, as well as gave it as gifts too. This book is one of the must-have books for a child's library, helping them learn and understand their prepositions in a truly fun and humerous way. The book arrived in excellent shape and in a timely manner. Thanks so much.
on October 3, 2000
This book is about these twelve little bears heard noises so they just ignored it.Well the second time they heard it the oldest one said to go out so they all did one by one.They went down the tree over the bridge and threw the woods alltogether.Next they climbed the old old spookey tree, they thought the whole time they heard the noises it was something spookey but it turned out just to be a slepping owl just hooing in the wind. So they ran back over the bridge where the water was and climbed back up the tree and in the window ,got under the covers and went to bed ssssshhhhhh.!