Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Follow the Author
The Beast of Rose Valley: A Creature Feature Horror Suspense (Lorestalker Book 1) Kindle Edition
Something evil stalks the citizens of Rose Valley—not for the first time, but hopefully for the last.
- WINNER: Pinnacle Book Achievement Award 2019 - Best Horror Fiction
- FINALIST: Readers’ Favorite Book Award 2019 - Finalist: Fiction - Paranormal
- FINALIST (Top 20): The Kindle Book Review Awards 2019 - Fiction - Horror/Suspense
“Barnett’s plot is clever and irresistible, and his book is a sheer pleasure to read. Horror, thriller and mystery fans alike will find much to their liking in this intriguing story about the unknown. ...most highly recommended.” ~ Jack Magnus, Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews
After suffering through a horrific car accident, Jake Rollins struggles to survive in his tiny hometown of Rose Valley—a place to which he hoped never to return.
When a sheep is viciously mutilated on the ranch where Jake is recovering, he’s dragged back into the cloying politics of small town life. While the Sheriff tries to pass off the incident as the work of coyotes, Jake turns to a local reporter and old high school flame, Shandi Mason, to search for the truth.
As livestock mutilations escalate into deadly attacks on humans, and the Sheriff organizes a foolhardy manhunt, Jake and Shandi must race to save the town from a seemingly unstoppable evil.
“The well fleshed out characters are one of the strengths of the story. ...The pacing is good and, as the plot gradually unfolds, readers will find themselves eager to connect all the dots and make early assumptions as clues appear one after the other.” ~ Lit Amri, Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews
EVOLVED PUBLISHING PRESENTS the first book in the critically-acclaimed, multiple award-winning “Lorestalker” series of horror stories featuring creatures of lore and dark imagination. [DRM-Free]
“Intrigue, curiosity, surprises, and the depth of the plot will keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering if they will understand all they need to, and be able to use it in order to save those they care for.” ~ K.J. Simmill, Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews
BOOKS BY J.P. BARNETT:
- The Beast of Rose Valley (Lorestalker - Book 1)
- The Kraken of Cape Madre (Lorestalker - Book 2)
- The Witch of Gray’s Point (Lorestalker - Book 3)
- The Haunt at Hogg Run (Lorestalker - Book 4)
- The Devil of Misty Lake (Lorestalker - Book 5)
- The Legacy of Rose Valley (Lorestalker - Book 6) [Coming Spring 2023]
MORE GREAT HORROR FICTION FROM EVOLVED PUBLISHING:
- The “Enigma of Twilight Falls” Series by Mike Robinson
- The “Big Sky Terror” Series by D.W. Hitz
- The “Call of Destiny” Series by D.M. Earley
- “The Holocaust Engine” Series by David Rike & Stephen Patrick
- The “Writer’s Block” Series by A.K. Kuykendall
- “Godsknife: Revolt” by Timothy C. Ward
- "Barnett's plot is clever and irresistible, and his book is a sheer pleasure to read. Horror, thriller and mystery fans alike will find much to their liking in this intriguing story about the unknown. The Beast of Rose Valley: Lorestalker #1 is most highly recommended." ~ Jack Magnus, Readers' Favorite Book Reviews (5 Stars)
- "Intrigue, curiosity, surprises, and the depth of the plot will keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering if they will understand all they need to, and be able to use it in order to save those they care for. As the first book in the Lorestalker series, The Beast of Rose Valley certainly sets a high bar for those to follow, and I look forward to future adventures." ~ K.J. Simmill, Readers' Favorite Book Reviews (5 Stars)
- "Barnett is a fluent storyteller and I found myself gripped to the last page." ~ Lit Amri, Readers' Favorite Book Reviews (5 Stars)
About the Author
As a child, J.P. consumed any book he could get his hands on. The likes of Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Dean Koontz paved the bookshelves of his childhood, providing a plethora of fantastical and terrifying tales that he read way too early in life. Though the effect these books had on his psyche could be called into question, these masters of storytelling managed to warp his mind in just the perfect way to spin a fun yarn or two.
J.P. currently resides in Seattle with his wife and hellion of a cat, both of whom look at him dubiously with some frequency.
- ASIN : B07LGFG2CL
- Publisher : Evolved Publishing LLC; 1st edition (March 4, 2019)
- Publication date : March 4, 2019
- Language : English
- File size : 2655 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Sticky notes : On Kindle Scribe
- Print length : 285 pages
- Best Sellers Rank: #499,219 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Mr. Barnett is especially a skillful master of plots. Often, he led me in a direction in which I was certain of where to go and how to get there for a solution, then a small clue would put me on a different path altogether. The characters are sometimes tragic but always appealing, and usually with good intentions tucked away.
Everything changes—relationships, viewpoints, goals, and characters.
Lovers of horror, mystery, suspense, and hive illumination will love this book, a zigzag path of entertainment and much more.
Well, the Lorestalker series takes this and runs with it. It follows Miriam Brooks, daughter of renowned cryptozoologist Skylar Brooks, as she and her friends investigate weird phenomena around the country, from a Bigfoot-like creature, to a giant kracken and skinwalkers.
Book 1, The Beast of Rose Valley, takes place in small-town Texas. Some creature is killing livestock and animals at a wildlife sanctuary, and the powers that be are trying to cover it up. What hooked me into this book, and the series as a whole, as that I figured out who was responsible about 1/3 of the way in - and then the author said, "Yep, here's what you figured out but also here's this twist." It's a great twist, something that's built on in the rest of the series so I won't spoil it, but something that makes you want to try to figure out each book as you're reading it. Throw in likeable, believable characters, and this is a series you won't want to put down
The narrator was ok but I wasn’t crazy about her male voices. Her voice just wasn’t deep enough or didn’t have the right pitch. But it wasn’t bad enough that it took me out of the story.
Jake and Shandi are amiable protagonists you can’t help but root for as the story follows along tried and true lines. The story becomes increasingly intimate as its scope narrows in on the shady deeds of the town’s past. At the same time, the threat of the beast looms over every chapter and keeps you guessing where he will turn up next.
I do have some minor issues with the storytelling. I believe some members of the Brooks family are a bit underdeveloped given their crucial role in the plot. I have a few personal nitpicks as well, but nothing that detracts from the quality of this story.
The Beast of Rose Valley sank its claws into me from the opening paragraph. And I look forward to reading more from Barnett in the future.
Author because it must be tremendously difficult to write a book
This book was not bad it didn’t have any misspelled words or grammar errors that I noticed
But it was not scary it did not have the level of thrill that I like it was original but At the end I didn’t have any feeling whatsoever so I could’ve easily done without reading this book and I hated it when they killed the mother cheetah