Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Beat the Blues Before They Beat You: How to Overcome Depression
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 10, 2013
There aren't many books that I consider must-buys, but this one makes the cut for anyone dealing with depression. There are so many different aspects covered, but if you're going over things time after time (ruminating), or are indecisive to the point of (even occasional) analysis-paralysis, please do yourself a favor and get this book.

I bought the Kindle version and read a chapter at a time. For many books, I read for whatever length of time I have available -- sometimes it's only 30 seconds while waiting in line, other times it's 15 minutes or more. But, for this book, I found it best to read a chapter at a time. That helped me soak in the material and keep the flow of thought.

Leahy really hit home for me in several chapters. I've gone back and re-read several of those chapters. Like "I Just Can't Decide" (how to overcome your indecision) and "I Keep Thinking Over and Over" (how to overcome your rumination). I'll probably go back to this book many times in the future. That fact alone, that I actually re-read some of the book, is a good indicator to me that it's a must-read.

Try to read all the chapters, even if a couple are a bit slow, perhaps abrupt, or just don't apply to you. You may still glean some insights from them.

Wishing you the best! And this book will help get you pointed in that direction.
on October 27, 2017
I have found this book to be informative and easy to understand. The delivery was on time and without issues.
on February 8, 2013
This book would be appropriate for someone who has low grade depression, and is able to apply some of the suggestions for cognitive behavioral techniques. The author writes in a down to earth style that makes it easy to read and understand. No fancy terminology here. He also believes in medication in addition to cognitive methods so he is holistic in his approach. I would recommend this book to those with Dysthymia (low grade depression).
on September 8, 2010
I would recommend Dr. Leahy's book not only to clients but to therapists wanting to refine their understanding of depression and their interventions with depressed clients. Each chapter explores a way of thinking common to depressed clients and how that thinking can be changed to relieve distress and make clients more effective in their approach to problems and life in general. I found here, too, some of Dr. Leahy's unique theories on depression. They resonated strongly with my own experience with depressed clients. I had not read of them elsewhere. Dr. Leahy's understanding and ability to articulate clearly and concisely the source and breadth of depression will, I think, help de-stigmatize depression and help the sufferer find self-compassion and belonging. I often cite the World Health Organization's statistics on unipolar depression to help my clients learn that they are not alone, that what they suffer from puts them in the company of good people brought low by a pandemic. Dr. Leahy reassures readers in much the same way. I will recommend this book to clients as a companion to therapy.

Vaughn Roche, LCSW
Diplomate, Academy of Cognitive Therapy
22 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2013
with the helpful advice of this writer. Very impressed at the simple logic and encouragement I found in reading this wonderful book.
on December 6, 2016
This book has specific suggestions which I found helpful. It has a checklist-like list which is good as a reference. I recommend it.
on March 14, 2012
Beat the Blues is an interesting book but i personally did not find this book especially helpful. I think I was looking for more information on what to do about depression, how to find ways to cope. I don't intend this to be negative because it is an interesting read. It just depends on what you are looking for.
on January 24, 2015
Best book ever!!!!! This book saved me! Better than my therapists!!! I wish robert leahy would write a book on motivation.
on June 9, 2015
Great easy reading and common sense written for the lay person who does'nt understand the medical terminology. Very helpful.
on July 6, 2012
I loved it! It brings good advice about how we can dominate our mind against the blues. Even it talks about depression it would be useful to everyone in order to combate negative ways of thinking. Its methods are very original and practical.