Top critical review
13 people found this helpful
Poor manufacturing quality, does not unfold properly
on November 26, 2010
First, pardon my English, I am a native speaker of French. A great fan of Sabuda's work (I have bought about 15 books from him), I have purchased this book as soon as it came on the market. Living in Switzerland, I have no possibility to purchase it at a local store but order it online. I was quite confident, as I very much appreciated all his previous books, especially the "Alice in Wonderland" one. Well, I am very very much upset with this one.
The drawings and the paper engineering is awesome, with lots of interesting mechanisms. Alas, it has not been manufactured properly at all. I must point out that my book is a brand new one and that I have received it in its original unopened plastic enveloppe protection.
Only the first 2 pages are ok, then the following ones are nice to watch, but with plenty of manufacturing (or conception?) defects. Here is an non exhaustive list of what I have noticed:
- the Best's Castle panorama: one of the building gets stuck and does not unfold completely (the rear tower got bent), the other one on the right does not come out either
- the monster's face: it was torn on its basis and the right ear does not "pop" at all as the articulation and the pink "feather" is damaged.
- the banquet table: it is a shame, it was so badly stuck on the paper (the feet of the table were too short and stuck at the wrong places) that it does not unfold completely at all and the Beast's face looks like... well, nothing close to a Beast's face, with glue prints all around and a piece that was not stuck anymore though it should have been.
- the small sections: they were not better at all. For instance, the one with the chicken could not unfold properly either and the chicken's head do not pop out from their crate.
- the final scene under the arbor: one of the branchs was torn away the first time I have open these pages!
Note: I am a very careful person and I already own a large collection of pop-up books from different editors and authors from all around the world (40+). This Beauty and the Beast one is for sure one of the worse manufactured pop up books that I have ever had. Sadly, I cannot return it as I would pay as much shipping fees as the price of the book itself.
It is a pity, as this book would just have been one of the most amazing pop-up books ever... without all these defects!