Customer Reviews: Beauty and the Beast (Platinum Edition)
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: DVD|Change

on April 29, 2015
I love this story, and now it's in the Disney vault. But this blu ray [uk import] works on my , PS3 , laptop , bluray player, and it looks better than ever! This is a must have!
review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2002
The biggest flaw in this story ... is that it makes a 45-year-old man cry like a child every time I watch it. My opinions on Disney movies vary -- some are good, some are almost unwatchable -- but "Beauty and the Beast" is the best work the studio has ever done.
Why do I love this movie so much? I think it's the music. In some musicals (animated or live), as soon as a song begins, the story comes to a grinding halt. (Can anyone remember one tune from "Mulan"?) But in this film, the music by Ashman and Menken advances the story marvellously. Animation and voice acting combine in a near-flawless performance, and the use of computer animation in the ballroom dance sequence was ground-breaking in its time.
As for the added features, the added song "Human Again" is a wonderful fun number. I can understand why it was left out of the original version, but its inclusion really doesn't detract from the story (it's another big production number like "Be Our Guest", not really essential to the plot, but helps us get to know the supporting characters).
The "making of" features are fairly interesting; the on-disk games I can take or leave. But the film itself is still the gem, worth the purchase price all by itself; the standard by which all other Disney movies are measured.
3030 comments| 390 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Belle is bored with life in her village. Her only escape is her books, and she longs to have an adventure of her own. When her father heads out to a fair, he gets lots, and Belle finds him in an enchanted castle. The objects are thrilled, because if she and their master, the Beast, fall in love, they will all be freed from the enchantment. But will Belle be able to see past the outward appearance? And what about the handsome bore back home who wants to marry Belle?

I feel in love with this movie the first time I saw it, and that love has only grown over the years. The story is the right mix of fun and uncertainty. Gaston was a wonderful addition to the mix because his story was the part I was most uncertain about the first time around. The artwork on the film catches your eye from the first shot of the castle, and doesn't let go. Beside the incredible background shots are wonderful drawings of the characters. I especially love the boyish excitement they manage to give the Beast in several scenes. Finally, there's the music. Every song adds to the story and is memorable in its own right.

This DVD is perfect for any fan of this movie. Disc 1 includes three versions of the film. The first is the "in progress" version shown to the New York film festival 6 weeks before the premier of the movie in 1991. While it's fun to have, I won't be watching it regularly. The second version is the original release. And finally comes the special edition, with the added scene and "Human Again." Ironically, this is probably my least favorite of the songs added to the Broadway version, but it does advance the story. And, there's always the option of watching the original version. Obviously, the version that you are supposed to watch is the special edition, as the audio commentary and sing along bonus features only work with this option. All three come in Dolby 5.1 sound, which sounds great.

The second disc features hours of bonus material. Most of it focuses on the making of this movie. Everything is covered, from original idea through characters and the Broadway version and special edition. Galleries show character designs over the course of the project. Also featured is the original treatments for "Human Again" and "Be Our Guest." Celebrity voices give background on the original story and Disney versions of classic tales. And there's a fun documentary as the stars of "Even Stevens" take a backstage look at all the work that goes into making a feature animated film.

This is the first annimated film to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture. Watching the film, the reason is clear. This is something the entire family can enjoy. Don't miss your opportunity to catch this classic film.
44 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2010
We all know that "Beauty & the Beast" is a "5 star" movie. It's too bad this transfer is not. This is exactly the reason Amazon needs a two-rating system. One for the movie & the other for the actual product. Nobody is getting their movie reviews from Amazon, believe me. What we need to know is if the DVD or Blu-ray is good.

So, let me start by pointing out the good. You get all 3 versions of the movie. The sound is excellent. Very level, deep when it need to be & the music sounds clear & full. Colors in the movie are bright, while the darks are perfect, with no sign of artifacts in them.

Now we get to the bad stuff. Let's face it, when we're buying any kind of video product, the picture is the most important thing. If the picture stinks, the whole think stinks. And although the picture on this Blu-ray doesn't stink, it's not perfect. Far from perfect in fact.

Let's start with the first problem, the lines. In hand-drawn animation, the lines are everything. If they are not constant & clear, the characters lose some of their realism. The lines in Beauty & the Beast are very thin, which is great for details. However, digital media is just not able to handle thin lines correctly. Several times pieces of a line will disappear into the color behind it. Most noticeably on Cogworth's face. His clock face will come through & "bloom" over most of the lines on his face, losing most of the detail. But the main problem with the lines in this transfer are the white "halos" around them. It seems like they used edge enhancements on the characters. But I'm not 100% sure this is what they did, as this halo never appears on any of the backgrounds. All I know is that at certain times, characters will have these halos surrounding their lines. The Beast takes the brunt of this & looks terrible in every shot. Just check out the sharp ends of his fur to see what I mean. Gaston also suffers from this, especially his face. What I did notice is that for the first half of the film, the lines seem to have been drawn with a dark brown color. Later on, the lines are black & this halo problem lessens. So I'm thinking that the problem is the digital media of Blu-Ray, even though it's high-def is not able to handle the dark brown lines against any brown-based back (flesh, brown fur, tan). When I saw this film at an IMAX theater, I did notice some of the same problems with the lines. So maybe the problem isn't even the transfer, but the actual film itself. Maybe the transfer is just so high-detail it's showing the film's flaws. In any case, these line problems can be distracting at times & I found myself noticing them & focusing on them, rather than the movie itself. Which is not a good thing.

Other video problems include graininess within certain colors, especially yellows or gold, like Lumiere. There is also an annoying strobe like problem, when the action seems to be going fast. This was most noticeable when Maurice is escaping the wolves.

To finish up, we all know the movie is great. Unfortunately, this film just doesn't look as good as let's say Pinocchio or Snow White. Which is kind of amazing, considering those movies are 50+ years older than this one.
3838 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2011
I just finished watching this in 3D and all i can say is that this version blew me away. I normally don't review movies i purchase on amazon but i could not get over this transfer. This is now my gem of all my Blu Ray 3D movies, period. The beautiful forest opening scene that was created by the multiplane camera grabs your attenttion like never before with the 3D effect. And from then on you can see the amount of effort that was put into transfering the original classic in to a full 3D feature. This is in no way a cheesy transfer like some of the movies that have been coming out recently. I was so blown away by this transfer that i showed my parents some of the scenes and they from the start just said "WoW" and were hooked to watch the film to its end. The beautiful animation just stands out in this 3D feature and is truly gorgeous. Truely this is the best way to watch this film, but of course this is just my opinion but i cannot say it enough that you should give it a chance. If you ever wanted to revisist the magic of Beauty and the Beast this is possibly the best way you could of ever have asked for. A++
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2016
Was incredibly sceptacle of purchasing a UK import, in fear of it not playing on my Blu Ray player, but there was no issues at all!
Completely region free and brand new! The picture is so gorgeous and so worth the buy!
review image review image review image
on May 21, 2016
I don't normally leave reviews, BUT for this purchase I had too. I have been wanting to buy this DVD for FOREVER, but could never find a affordable price. I found this and thought it was too good to be true, it must have some kind of problem right? After a few days I finally decided I would order. 5 days later I have the DVD in my hands and it looks BRAND NEW. No playing problems. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase.
on May 8, 2001
Disney's animated version of the classic tale, "Beauty and the Beast," is every bit as enchanting as the "tale as old as time" that it tells, making its way into our hearts as well as motion picture history. Being the first film nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture, as well as six nominations altogether, Disney proves that it has what it takes to make an animated feature enjoyable for adults and children. I remember watching the film as a small child, and now, as an adult, is hasn't lost its luster, and everything is just as I enjoyed it before.
Through brilliant animation and song, as well as some terrific voice talents, the story of unexpected love comes to new and exciting life. Small-town girl Belle is forced to head into the woods once her father turns up missing, bringing her to a gloomy, secluded castle where she finds him and his captor, a vicious-looking beast. Of course, the beginning of the movie explains the beast's origins: he was once a selfish prince who, after turning out an old beggar woman, was transformed, given an enchanted rose, and told "if he could learn to love another, and earn their love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time."
This begins their rocky-turned-romantic relationship, as they begin to warm to one another. Meanwhile, the town brute, Gaston, has plans of his own, involving some sinister maneuvers involving Belle's father in hopes that she will agree to marry him.
Many have hailed this as the best of Disney's films, and they wouldn't be wrong in saying so, either. It's easy to see why the movie has become such a success: there are elements at work in this film, just as in every other Disney film, only they seem to have taken on a small degree of maturity with this film's creation.
The animation is some of the best and most believable I've seen for an animated film in a long time. Most of the scenes involving solely characters is the same as most of Disney's works, but there are scenes of pure life-like reality that have a special flare to them. The ballroom scene is one such scene: the camera angles sweep across a room filled with high-arched glass windows and a chandelier which looks as real as the words you're reading on this page. Some nice effects go into the creation of the castle as well, especially in the end once everything returns to normal.
The is one of the most moving Disney soundtracks to come along since that of "Cinderella" and "Pinocchio." It is clear that composers were striving to capture the feeling and influence of their previous score for "The Little Mermaid," and they truly succeed in doing so. The songs are delightful and will have kids and adults alike smiling and singing along. The score is the perfect underlining for scenes of romance as well as tension and suspense. In case you were wondering, three of the originally written songs were nominated for Academy Awards; that should say something.
This is one of Disney's most ambitious and successful projects, ranking alongside such cinematic achievements as the successes of "Citizen Kane" and "Gone With The Wind." Winner of the Golden Globe Award for Best Picture, as well as its Oscar nominations, "Beauty and the Beast" is a hallmark of a time when movies were something that everyone, young and old alike, could enjoy on the same levels. This is the best picture of 1991.
33 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
If you don't have this movie,i have three word's for you,GET IT NOW!!!!.I love this movie i remember watching this Disney classic,when i was a little kid.Well time kept passing me buy,and i finally decided to buy this,and i am happy i did,now i can watch this movie anytime i want,if you have not seen beauty and the Beast,all i have to say is where have you been?My favorite part of the movie,as i know it's probably almost everyone's favorite part,is when they both come down the stairs,and begin dancing.This is one of Disney's Greatest movies made,if you do not have this i recommend to pick up a copy,i know when i bought this,the price was cheaper,but even if i did not buy it,and i had to pay this amount i would.but not only would you be buying this for yourself,but you are also buying this for your kids,or grandkids etc.i know watching this movie was a great experience for me when i was little,and i think it will be a great experience for the next generation as well.
review image review image review image
on September 30, 2016
Beauty and the Beast has been, by far, my most favorite of the classic Disney Princess films. It has everything you could ever want: a beautifully developed romance, thrills and suspense, action, a rather well developed setting, and a beautiful environment. And need I say the music still stands as awesome? All in all, nothing needs to be said as most of us know that the movie itself is simply beautiful and stunning. Wouldn't have lasted this long if it wasn't. But what of the package itself?

Well, in case some folks don't remember, there's really nothing offensive in this film and is all around safe for all ages. The only thing that is remotely possibly offensive is that Gaston's fangirls show a little cleavage since they have slightly lower bustlines in their dresses.

The inclusions are definitely worthy of a 25th Anniversary release. You've got 3 versions of the film (original theatrical, special edition, and sing-along). That alone is awesome. But what I especially loved was the mini-documentaries and interviews with the voice actors, composers, a look at Disney's fairytale inspirations and library. Actually seeing the recording session videos was an especially revealing treat, too! What's more, when you connect this film to the "Disney Movies Anywhere" app/network (via digital code included in the package), you can unlock even more features.

Blu-ray Transfer:
Some folks have been noting some artifacts. In my case, I did not notice anything, but that may be because I was watching it on a flat screen with lowered "sharpness". But the issue seems not so much that the Blu-rays were badly transferred, but that our viewing technology is much sharper and less forgiving about old animation mistakes than older tech. Colors are certainly more vivid, but higher definition also lends itself to revealing more imperfections when watching media that was not originally produced with HD in mind (this was way back in 1991...before we even had dvds). So, if you are graphically sensitive, I would recommend turning down the sharpness (or even just watch the DVD version that's included). However, again, I didn't notice much to disappoint me at all.