Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The Beauty of Darkness: The Remnant Chronicles: Book Three Hardcover – August 2, 2016
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From School Library Journal
Gr 9 Up—After the cliff-hanger ending in The Heart of Betrayal, Lia wakes to find Rafe, the prince of Dalbreck, stitching up the wounds she suffered in their escape from the Komizar. Fighting for their lives each step of the way, the small group of survivors finally return to Dalbreck only to learn that the king is dead. Pushed by duty, Rafe assumes the crown, but he loses Lia, who is determined to return home to her own kingdom, Morrighan, where she hopes to rally her father's soldiers and repel the Komizar's invasion. Unfortunately, her father is gravely ill, poisoned by his trusted doctor, and she takes on the role of regent. With only a few thousand troops, though, she knows Morrighan has little hope of surviving the upcoming assault. Still, Pearson has created such a dynamic and inspiring heroine that readers will be convinced that she can save her kingdom. This action-filled novel, set in a high fantasy world, has it all: romance, adventure, mysticism, and heroism. Hand this to readers of "The Hunger Games" and John Flanagan's "Ranger's Apprentice" series. VERDICT Fantasy fans will love this marvelous, high-action conclusion to the trilogy.—Jane Henriksen Baird, Anchorage Public Library, AK
"Pearson has created such a dynamic and inspiring heroine.... Fantasy fans will love this marvelous, high-action conclusion to the trilogy." ―School Library Journal
"Full and rich." ―Booklist
"Pearson is an excellent storyteller.... She brings an ambitious trilogy to a rousing conclusion." ―The Horn Book
Top customer reviews
#LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD#
1) Too much going on. We had two intense relationship storylines established in the first two books, deep character development in progress, traitors in Morrighan, unrest in Dalbreck, a doomsday army invading, a battle, a radical new peace negotiated and the resolutions all squished into one book. It did none of them justice. The romance fizzled, the revelation of the traitors contrived, character development halted and overall, just rushed. There are long stretches describing travel and preparation but very few actually doing anything.
2) Kaden. Poor Kaden. Perhaps the most interesting character aside from the Komizar and he got maybe 10 pages to himself. His feelings for Lia don't ebb naturally or grow (I'd hoped, I was rooting for him) but disappear abruptly and just as abruptly materialize for Pauline. He gets to kill his cruel father but there's no emotional growth or closure. He had a burgeoning will of his own in book 2 but he returns as Lia's lapdog in book 3.
3) Rafe. He and Lia either needed to get their act together or get over it. They can't communicate worth a damn and fight when they end up at cross purposes but then pine all the time they're apart. I wasn't overly fond of him to start but as of book 3 I find him cliche to the point of cardboard.
4) Lia. She goes from wanting to not be royal to wanting to be THE royal. And overnight she goes from having the potential to lead to being queen of everything, issuing orders left and right and everyone hops to it. She was reviled as a traitor one moment and hailed as a savior the next. She goes from not having the gift and not understanding it to using it for EVERYTHING. Including as a very fancy microphone mid-battle.
5) Morrighan storyline and the battle. Something that was clearly in works for years was resolved in a matter of days. So much potential, wasted.
6) the ending. Abrupt, poorly resolved. It just...ended.
So, overall, I was disappointed. A complex and multifaceted story was reduced to easy outs and deus ex machina solutions. I suggest stopping at Heart of Betrayal and writing your own end-at no profit, of course.
We pick up pretty much where we left off and it's no surprise to say that Lia survived her serious injuries though it did take time. So much happens in this one, it's hard to give even the briefest of summaries, without spoilers of course and without rehashing the entire story, but needless to say Lia has a big and epic journey on her hands, if the 679 pages didn't already clue you in!
Lia and Rafe are together again and as they head back to Dalbreck, Lia's gift chimes in that all is not well back in her home of Morrighan and she feels the need to return, despite being labeled a traitor and criminal to her kingdom. This causes a lot of arguments with her and Rafe and my heart ached for them, because I could see both their points reasonably, but it seemed neither one could truly do the same. Kaden joins the party as well and that itself brought up new predicaments. Who can we truly trust in this situation? Trouble is brewing and an enemy is rising. Lia will need all the help she can get.
Fair warning, the pacing to this one isn't quite as action packed and fast paced as one might like. It's a little slower, but trust me when I say it's still phenomenal all the way through! Each moment will pack an emotional punch of some kind. There were so many powerful gut wrenching moments in this one that I couldn't read fast enough! Too bad life had to get in my way! As it was, I still ate up the pages of this one in three days, not fill days mind you, but there was a good dose of reading in these busy days! I was lost to the world of Mary's Remnant Chronicles and returning to reality at each stopping point was always a bitter disappointment! I had to know what was going to happen here!
I started making my own predictions regarding a few things. And I was happy to see that I was right about the important ones! Yay! But of dear god, it took forever for me to be able to breathe properly! The tension of those final reveals was so intense...I was scared for a time, my heart beating rapidly, tears starting in the back of my eyes thinking it might not go the way it NEEDED to...but I stubbornly kept thinking it HAS to end the way I think it should! And really by a certain point of any book, you can nearly tell if the ending will be happy or not. There's only ever been a few series that ended with ripping my heart out of my chest and really at this point I can only think of one that will always haunt me. Where does this one fall? Well...I won't say just because!
The romance in this one was once again swoony and heart-melting! I love Lia and Rafe's relationship. I love how they challenge one another and yet, still hold the other in their time of need. That even despite arguments that would force them apart, they still know what's in their hearts is true. But there are many forces working against them, and their fate remains unclear.
This is perhaps one of the shortest reviews I've written for a book that I loved and enjoyed so thoroughly, but I really don't want to get into too many details and ruin any surprises for you all! Simplicity at its best. But basically, if you were at all a fan of this series from book 1, you'll be reading this one eventually and you'll discover all the magic and incredibleness of this finale for yourself in your own time! Just be sure you not to wait too long because The Beauty of Darkness is an incredibly epic read that must be devoured at once!
Overall Rating 5/5 stars
There are several issues I had with this novel. Firstly, the final battle sort of just came and went. I literally checked my copy of the book to make sure that no pages were missing. Like - all that build up for. . .nothing. Like, the author spends a great deal of the novel talking about this battle and then its over in a couple of pages. WTF. The characters didn't really feel like themselves. Kaden didn't really have to be there. Lia was horrible through 75% of the novel. Rafe probably deserves better. This whole novel just felt like a mess - like the author quickly had to finish it to move onto another project.
I'll try this one (and the second in the series) again. . .someday. But, for right now I just don't get the hype.
Most recent customer reviews
What an ending! This book was so much more, more feels, more stomach-dropping angst filled moments, more emotion, more drama more...Read more
Please, please, Miss Pearson, I need an epilogue!