Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on December 3, 2015
The main character was a bit of a ditz. I actually found the boss to be a more complex character. Wildly successful and able to intimidate even the most intimidating people, I wondered what made her that way and how she ticks. Although I must confess I felt the same thing about the Miranda (evil boss) character, in Devil Wears Prada, so perhaps that's just my bias. The book is certainly a light, fun read. A little too silly for me at times, and definitely predictable. I am tired of female characters trying to define themselves as rebels because they eat pizza for lunch when everyone else has salad, or because *gasp* they're not afraid to eat an entire cannoli while other people drink smoothies. If that's as over the top as you get, I can't help but feel my attentions sway more towards the horrifically abusive over the top boss. You want to stand out - she'll show you how its done.
on January 23, 2014
Bridie Clark combines elements from several time-honored genres: the one in which the educated middle class shows the upper class how to live (think It Happened One Night or The Great Gatsby); the bildungsroman, specifically the kunstlerroman, that tracks the education of a young person as she discovers herself as an artist (in this case an editor, with the editor's red pen depicted here like a paint brush); and, of course there is the New York City romance, which is as much about a turbulent love affair with a place as it is about finding that perfect guy. Ms. Clark weaves all of these different strands together seamlessly, creating a heroine who has a real girl's appetite for success, love, and pizza. We want the protagonist's ambition, her groundedness-- we even want her troubles. All this, I should add, in a book that is meant to be read on vacation. A delicious confection that you won't feel guilty devouring-- Claire (the main character) wouldn't!
on November 9, 2013
I have read and re-read this book several times since I first downloaded it. I love the story. It reminds me of The Devil Wears Prada. I also have to say, I really realized that what I would have loved to do as a career is be a book editor (but not for Vivian Grant! haha).
on January 2, 2014
Loved it all. Such a fun read from start to finish. Author is funny, witty, clever and creative. Cant wait for more.
on July 20, 2009
I feel like taking a handful of asprin after making it 3/4 of the way through this book. I love all of the thinly veiled attack the ex boss tell alls..devil wears prada..2nd assistant etc. but this one is just too much. I feel beat up and head achey just from reading this, I cant imagine actually working for the horrid Judith Regan whom this books villan is based on. My advice? There are just too many good books of this type out there to spend your time and money on Because She Can. I do however wish the author a long happy peaceful and lucrative life....she has certainly earned it after working for such a vile human.
on February 1, 2007
Because She Can is a chick coming-of-age novel :) You will enjoy seeing Claire develop from a smart, talented "good girl" to a great woman. With the exception of a few you will love to hate, the engaging characters are good people with forgivable flaws that only make them more interesting.

If you like Jane Green, Marian Keyes and Sophie Kinsella, you will surely enjoy this book!
on March 11, 2007
What a fun book! The insight into the characters minds is fantastic. I'd recommend it highly!