Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Becoming A Master Student, 12th edition
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on November 18, 2002
The only credit I can give this book is in its use of discovery/intention statements...Here is what I have discovered about becoming a master student, buy Walter Pauk's book "How To Study In College". Being a master student does not cover the Cornell note taking method clearly enough, which has been scientifically proven to be the best note taking method for students. Becoming a master student is so politically correct the information gets lost within the HE-SHE flip flops throughout the book. Being a master student fails to give the student the one most important question all students MUST ask themselves after a lecture or a reading session, DO I UNDERSTAND. Being a master student fails to get down to the point. The only thing this book is, or that I consider it to be, is a collection of hints and goofy quotes. If you want to understand what you have read buy "How to Read a Book" by Adler and Van Doren. If you want to take good notes follow these directions.

How to listen.
Attitude: Your obligation to yourself is to maintain a positive attitude towards the lecturer. The person speaking has spent hundreds of hours reading, studying, and researching in order to give you the information in your class.
Attention: Pay attention to how much attention you are paying to the lecture. Notice when you start to drift off. Think actively about the information being delivered. Become mentally involved with the lecture and ask clarifying questions. If you are getting confused ask more questions, this helps both you and the instructor. Anticipate what the lecture is going to be about and think ahead. Review the course syllabus before every class meeting. Listen for ideas not just for facts. Avoid distractions, both internal and external.
Adjust: Be flexible with the instructor. If the instructor goes off the topic, don't become upset, just roll with it. Be open to ideas and facts that might conflict with your own.
How to take notes.
1. Create short statements in the main body of your notebook using telegraphic and declarative statements.
2. Use plenty of paper. Each statement gets two to four blank spaces after it.
3. After the class is over fill in any gaps in your notes. Clarify any vague short-hand 'B5=bloody fifth'.
4. Summarize the lecture in complete sentences at the end of your notes. This is done between classes or at home. The sooner the better.
5. When you are home create questions and write them down on the blank side of the previous note-taking page.
6. Review all (entire semesters or quarters worth) of your notes at least once a week.
How to summarize.
Classify the lecture or book according to kind and subject matter.
State what the whole lecture or book is about with the utmost brevity.
List the major parts in their order and relation, and outline these parts as you have outlined the whole lecture or book.
Define the problem or problems the author or speaker has tried to solve.
Come to an understanding with the author or speaker by interpreting the key words that are being used.
Grasp the author or speakers leading propositions by dealing with the most important sentences that have been used.
Know the arguments, by finding them in, or constructing them out of, sequences of sentences.
Determine which problems the author or speaker has solved, and which were not solved; and of the latter, decide which the author or speaker knew that they had failed to solve
State what the entire book or lecture was about.
Break it into its parts.
Explain how the parts relate to the whole.
How to study your notes.
Read your cue questions.
Attempt to answer your cue question.
Don't struggle for the answer. Peek at the answer if you have to, and then move on.
Make over-learning (instant recall) your goal.
Refresh your memory at least three times a week.
If you want to improve your concentration and attention, put a wide rubber-band on your wrist and every time you notice your concentration or attention wonder snap the rubber-band on your wrist. Take my word for it you'll be a major concentration machine in a few weeks.
To answer your question, why did I buy this book? I received a "B" in a Spanish class and dicided that I may need a study skills class, even thogh I had spent two years researching study skills, I thought I might be missing something in my tool chest. Becoming a master student was the required text. In my opinion, Becoming a master student is the perfect book for someone in the 7th through the 10th grades. My niece who happens to be 13 now owns my copy of Becoming a master student.
on February 14, 2006
The book encourages students to explore their own strengths and weaknesses, and prompts them to recognize aspects of themselves in ways they probably hadn't thought before. Most of us are quite curious about what our strengths might be, and with this book, the student's self-examination isn't a painful process. Rather than offering a step by step list of Do's and Don'ts, the approach taken here is to help the student develop a highly individualized action plan to help them take control managing their coursework. It's a relatively hefty book, at least compared to others I've seen in this genre, but this doesn't detract.
on November 7, 2013
This text is as relevant today as when it was first written. With all the concerns over Common Core, Dave shows us how to approach teaching to empower ourselves and students in a fun, approachable way. He offers an understanding of the elements of the core principles before they had their label. Dave ranks as one of the top five of the best of what DePorter has named Quantum Learning.
on August 31, 2009
If they offer this class at your college, take it! If not, the book should still be a big help. I had been out of school for 20 years so my study skills were rusty. I ended up graduating with honors. I couldn't have done it, if not for this book and class. Of course, my book was an earlier edition, but I have to believe it would only improve. I almost think it should be required reading for all freshman in their first semester of college.
on March 10, 2014
This was for a required course (I am an adult student going back to school), and I went into it expecting to be bored out of my mind.

Lo and behold, this was a fantastic textbook! Should be part of a highschool class that teaches life skills to kids, in my opinion - but definitely worth its weight in gold to incoming college students. Buy it new, write in it, use it to teach your kids with, and have fun.
on April 4, 2014
I'm a student of life and have so many interests that I often feel overwhelmed by all I want to learn. I need to become a "master student" to indulge all my interests and I'm looking forward to putting these techniques to work to see which are the most helpful to me.
on August 8, 2003
It's one of the BEST book I've ever read or seen.. Pages are all colorful and nice design very attracting the eye so we read more, and interesting story inside and motivational. I totally recommend this book if you are trying to pursue a better learning skills wether you are in school or you just want to learn to LEARNING about everything.. it's useful book for you!
on May 31, 2014
I have been studying for 11years and are always looking for new ideas and advice on study methods as I believe that one can always learn something new. I have started with my Masters degree this year which required different skills than my previous studies. Aspects such as critical thinking, selecting the most important information, analysing information and then writing it in your own words to mention but a few. This was a whole new ball game for me. I work full time a teacher at a special school and study part time and one of my biggest problems was procrastination. When I read this book it opened a whole new world for me. What I love about this book is that it not only gives you information about studies but also about life and the experiences of others. I started setting goals and planned better which made my life so much easier. I would like to thank Dave Ellis for writing this amazing book it made a difference in my approach to my studies and my life in general. I would recommend this book to every student.
on February 4, 2016
This textbook was a requirement for one of my college classes, but I must say, I really enjoying using it. I loved the activity pages and tips in it, and all of the material was incredibly useful. My favorite parts of the book were the Discovery Wheel and the Learning Style Inventory. I feel that the material helped me get to know myself better, and gave me a better understanding of how I tend to learn things. Much of what I learned from this book is stuff I wish I had been taught in high school. I would absolutely recommend this to any college student.
on April 13, 2009
I am having a hard time taking seriously reviews where a half dozen words are misspelled criticizing a book about being a better student. STUDY spelling you guys! I was never good at it either but I TRY. This book is one of the best resources around. It covers everything you would ever hope to know and it helped me graduate Suma Cum Laude. Hmmm, did I spell that right?