- Series: For Dummies
- Paperback: 456 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 3 edition (March 2, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118945468
- ISBN-13: 978-1118945469
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.9 x 9.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (334 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #185,852 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Beekeeping For Dummies 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Featured Springer resources in biomedicine
Explore these featured titles in biomedicine. Learn more
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the Back Cover
- Keep bees in the city or country
- Safely inspect and manage your colonies
- Manage all phases of honey production
- Apply all-natural remedies for bee health
PLUS More than 10 coupons and special offers on beekeeping supplies inside!
Want to get in on the buzz around beekeeping?
Inside, you'll find expert guidance on everything you need to become a successful back yard beekeeper from assembling and maintaining beehives and handling all the phases of honey production to securely opening and closing the hive and extracting honey like a pro. Whether you live in the city or the country, this friendly guide has you covered.
- Catch the beekeeping bug explore the many benefits of beekeeping, decide if it's the right hobby for you, and get some insight into a day in the life of a honey bee
- Adventures in beekeeping get to know the most popular back yard beehives and find the basic tools and equipment you need to get started
- All hail the honey bee discover the safest way to inspect and enjoy your bees, understand what to look for when you examine a colony, and perform year-round tasks to keep a healthy hive
- How sweet it is reap the rewards of keeping bees with step-by-step instructions on harvesting, bottling, and marketing your honey
- That stings if things go awry, turn to a section of common problems and simple solutions to bee illnesses, Colony Collapse Disorder, and more
- Become a honey connoisseur learn about the many different types of honeys, their distinct origins and flavor profiles, and how to pair honey with food and drink
Open the book and find:
- Advice on dealing with apprehensions you may have about beekeeping
- Everything you need to know about the queen, the workers, and the drones
- Tips on planting a garden your bees will love
- How to start an observation hive, brew honey wine, and build your own hive stand
- A handful of yummy honey recipes
- How-to beekeeping videos available online
About the Author
Howland Blackiston has been a back yard beekeeper since 1984. He's written many articles on beekeeping and appeared on dozens of television and radio programs. He is also the author of Building Beehives for Dummies, which provides detailed instructions on how to build hives from scratch.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Still, it was a valuable tool in getting me started on this adventure and I learned a lot. a lot of the reference material out there is too technical and not practical..I still reccomend this book to anyone getting started in beekeeping.
So what does that mean for those of you who buy this book. You'll probably find chapters 1-4 are most useful as they give general bee background and help build the vocabulary you need to understand "bee talk". Chapters 10-14 are helpful as they talk about problems you'll encounter as a beekeeper and solutions to get your hive back on track. Other that that, you'll find yourself glossing over many portions of the remaining 11 chapters.
So to summarize, unless your primary goal is to have a honey factory, only about 1/2 of this (easy to read) book is going to be useful for all you new-bees.