Customer Reviews: Beer, Food, and Flavor: A Guide to Tasting, Pairing, and the Culture of Craft Beer
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon

Now that the craft brewing renaissance has captured a relatively small (compared to the number of Coors and Budweiser drinkers) but intensely loyal audience of bold flavor aficionados, adventurous imbibers and knowledgeable beer geeks, many books have hit the market that cater to the interests of this demographic segment. In fact, dare I observe that the number and quality of books about craft beers is beginning to approach those of books intended for wine snobs (no offense intended)? Brooklyn Brewery's Garrett Oliver deserves much of the credit for almost single-handedly elevating the status of beer literature with "The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food," the first book to explore in detail the world of fine craft beers (as opposed to domestic industrial swill) and how to match them up with food. Another outstanding book is "The Craft of Stone Brewing Company: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance," a paean to one of America's best, most innovative microbreweries, a quirky San Diego County outfit that constantly re-defines the limits of beer styles, character, strength and quality. Both belong in the library of every serious beer connoisseur. Another book sure to please any serious beer geek is Schuyler Schultz' "Beer, Food and Flavor."

At first glance, "Beer, Food and Flavor" resembles "The Craft of Stone Brewing Company," which is a good thing indeed. But, while the latter volume covers just the one company in exceptional detail, the former delves, at a lesser level of detail, into the wider microbrew scene from one end of America to the other. The first four chapters--about half of the book--provide useful and informative context. They look at the nation's overall craft beer movement, describe beer styles and the sensory components of tasting, offer ways to pair craft beer with fine cuisine and with cheeses (including recipes), and examine the philosophy of craft brewing, using San Diego's AleSmith Brewing Company as an exemplar. Most of the rest of the book profiles 16 notable American craft brewers and their art, organized by six regions--California, the Pacific Northwest, the Rockies, the Midwest, the Northeast and the South. I'm pleased to say that, as inveterate beer travelers, my wife and I have personally visited nine of these 16 breweries (the others are all on our to-do list), and I think Mr. Schultz' profiles are spot-on. You can't possibly read these profiles without coming away with profound respect for the knowledge, dedication and passion of these brewers, who, along with many others, are leading the way into a bright craft-beer future.

The quality and production values of "Beer, Food and Flavor" are outstanding. Brilliant, crisp color photos--many of them of beer bottle logos--supplement the highly readable text, while very effective use of color highlights the many fascinating sidebars throughout. This is a book to read and savor, and also to proudly display on a coffee table (although its dimensions are a little small for that).

In the title of my review, I call "Beer, Food and Flavor" the "second" best beer book ever, since I previously called "The Craft of Stone Brewing Company" the "best" beer book ever. I'm a HUGE fan of Stone beers, and always visit the brewery when I attend beer festivals in Southern California. Really, though, it's more like a dead heat for top beer-book position. Regardless, I can't imagine any craft beer enthusiast who would not be enthralled by "Beer, Food and Flavor." If you enjoy craft beer, buy this book. You can't go wrong. Cheers!
on February 28, 2013
This is an excellent book. I have purchased the Kindle edition of this book and could not be happier with the purchase. It covers a wide variety of beer topics very thoroughly, and in and easy to understand format.I think there are a lot of beer lovers out there who know what beers they like, but not why they like it. I think this book will help those people find their voice among fellow craft beer lovers and help them articulate their perceptions to their friends. There is also some great advice of beer and food pairings, and doesn't just cover what to pair, but the why's of pairing. I think whether you are a budding craft beer enthusiast or a seasoned connoisseur, you can pick up something new and of value in this book. I've been into the craft beer scene since the early 90's, I'm an avid homebrewer, BJCP judge, and write about beer and brewing as an amateur writer and I found a lot of value in this book. I gave this book 5 stars, and would give it more if I could. Clear, concise, and informative. What more could you ask for.
on October 9, 2012
You probably like beer already (who doesn't?). But you may not be getting as much pleasure out of it as you could. Schuyler Schultz explains how the ordinary act of drinking a beer can become a meaningful celebration, particularly if accompanied by the right food. This is a great moment for beer and cuisine in America. If you want to truly savor it, let this be your guide.
on May 26, 2014
This book covers a wide variety of beers and how to pair these beers with different kinds of food. Although Schuyler uses his experience with Alesmith Brewing of San Diego, his knowledge covers all varieties of craft beers, no matter where they are brewed. He also will give you some great ideas for that next dinner that you're planning and what beers to serve with it. Great companion to many of the books available for pairing wine with food.
on January 31, 2013
I enjoy beer and enjoy food, but had never thought much about the interactions between the two. I also have to admit to becoming somewhat lost when ordering a craft beer. How do I describe what I like? And, come to think of it, what do I like? Schuyler Schultz's elegant book solves these problems in an entertaining and informative way. Clear descriptions of the beer terminology and some excellent food pairing ideas from a professional chef make this attractive book a highly useful one as well. Highly recommended!
on November 2, 2012
I found this book to be helpful and informative on my quest to better understand beer and how it pairs with food. I am probably more fortunate than most living in San Diego I have incredible opportunities to sample a lot of the beers described in the book and visit the breweries. I would recommend this book for any one looking to expand their knowledge of beer and anyone interested in getting to know other styles of beer.
on December 29, 2013
My nephew requested this book for Christmas. After it arrived I paged through it and thought of other family members that would truly enjoy its' contents (as would I).
Would recommend this book for the beer lover in your life; includes about 10 pages just on different kinds of cheeses and what beers bring out the flavor.
on February 13, 2014
Great look at the intersection of craft beer and the slow food movement. I think it does a good job of looking at beer from the perspective of a chef who respects craft beer. That is different. Most of the beer and food books I've read come at it from the craft beer world perspective.
on July 13, 2013
Have read the majority of this book and love it! Gives you everything from the basics of brewing, craft beer, food, all the way up to exact pairings. Love it, and will reference it often!
on December 10, 2012
Reading this book, I enjoy my beer & food more! I try new beer styles, new breweries, new beer & food pairings, and it's great! I actually taste the tastes of my beer more clearly & more fully after reading the descriptions in this smart & exceptionally well-written book.