- Performer: Sviatoslav Richter
- Orchestra: Orchestra of Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival
- Conductor: Christoph Eschenbach
- Composer: Ludwig Van Beethoven, Frederic Chopin
- Audio CD (March 15, 1994)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: RCA Victor
- ASIN: B000003FER
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #670,236 in CDs & Vinyl (See Top 100 in CDs & Vinyl)
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Chopin: Etudes
Sviatoslav Richter made a great recording of the Beethoven First Piano Concerto for RCA, but this isn't it. Fortunately, that version (with Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony), recorded in 1960, is still available (RCA Victor Gold Seal 6804), generously coupled with two Beethoven Piano Sonatas, and it still sounds just great. This 1988 live performance is relatively slow and sluggish, far from the pianist's best despite its good moments. Some of the Chopin Etudes are extremely sensitive and involving, enough to tempt the Richter fan. But this is definitely not essential Richter. --Leslie Gerber
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Chopin Etudes are not so electrifying as his earlier recordings, but again listeners attention is drawn, not to technical brilliance, but to music itself. Ovation at the end of concerto and etudes shows how much audience appreciated the late master's mature artistry.