Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beethoven's Last Night
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on April 9, 2012
I love the TSO ever since I first heard their Christmas CD years ago. I've seen them several times in concert and they put on a fabulous show. This CD is just as good. If you like classical music with a rock twist you will love this CD.
on August 15, 2013
I have been a Trans-Siberian Orchestra fan for quite a while now, and have always enjoyed their Christmas music (as well as their non-holiday album, Night Castle). My aunt performed as a singer with the group until a few years ago, and I loved going to watch their concert every year. My favorite part was always the narrative half of the show, which was when they would alternate between a song and a narrator telling the part of the story that each song belonged to. It was similar to a musical, in a sense. Eventually I began to appreciate the connection that TSO's rock opera style had to traditional classical music; many of their songs pay tribute to such brilliant masters as Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and of course, Ludwig von Beethoven. I noted the Beethoven-inspired song "Moonlight and Madness" on Night Castle especially, and I recognized the similarity because the composer's "Moonlight" sonata is one of my favorite pieces to listen to.
Somehow, I didn't discover Beethoven's Last Night, Trans-Siberian Orchestra's first non-Christmas album, until recently. I listened to some of the songs on YouTube, and then decided to buy this mp3 deluxe version, which came out in 2012 (twelve years after the original album release). This new edition contains not only the songs, but also the narration that would precede each track in a concert performance.
This album completely lived up to my expectations, which are set pretty high based on my previous experience with TSO music. The music draws inspiration from the music of the ingenious (though deaf) composer, such songs as "Fur Elise" the Sixth Symphony, and his "Moonlight" sonata. As far as the music goes, TSO's composers effortlessly blend voices and instruments to tell the story, as always, with classical, rock, and operatic influences.
The narration also added to the storytelling aspect of the album a lot; with just the songs you can understand more or less what it's about but the narration (which is carried out very well) makes it easy to "get" the story behind the song. And although there are some ambiguous historical references, particularly in reference to Beethoven's lover Teresa, the storytelling is very engaging.
In all, this is a great album and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates both classical and more recent music. I would say it's a guarantee that someone who, like me, is already a TSO fan, will enjoy this.
on December 4, 2012
Love the inclusion of the narration tracks. Even though you can't see the show while you're listening to this album, your imagination can certainly go there. I highly recommend this to any TSO fan, and if you like an off beat group, an off beat style and off beat Christmas music, definitely do TSO.
on May 28, 2013
Wow! That's all I can say. Wow! I vaguely remembered TSO, but had no idea how great they are. Happened to attend a concert by the South Jersey Pops (http://www.southjerseypops.org/) where they performed their version of Requiem (The Fifth). I researched and found this fabulous rock opera.
on April 12, 2013
The story, the music and the way it's presented make this another TSO classic to be. This is a like a Rock Opera w/out singing but just great classical music modernized in a rockish, pop style tone. Strongly recommend for TSO fans.
on December 2, 2012
This was my first album of TSO, before all of their Christmas music came out.
The music and the singing are very well done and it has a good story about the conflict between Beethoven and the Devil over Beethoven's soul and legacy.
It possesses all of the polish you expect from their Christmas story albums.
on December 27, 2012
I have this on CD, and have about worn it out. Decided to get a copy for my digital collection. The booklet that came with the CD give some insight into what the "plot" of the album is (it is basically a complete light opera), and the ability to see the lyrics can help when you're not quite sure what you are hearing. I haven't looked at the digital booklet yet, but I'm hoping this is the same as the printed booklet that came with my physical CD.
on January 9, 2013
Bryan Hick's Fantastic Narration makes listening to Beethoven's Last Night from Start to Finish an experience that matches any epic 2 plus hour movie. I really hope that TSO will add Narration Tracks to the rest of their CD's. If your a TSO Fan, this is an absolute must.
on May 7, 2013
I really do like this musical telling the fictitious story of Beethoven's last night. I'd like to see it performed as a Broadway musical.
on March 12, 2013
I am a big fan of TSO. I hope to be able to go to one of their concerts someday. I like the way they reinvent their music.