Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 691 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,274 reviews
on December 18, 2016
I TORE THROUGH THIS ONE! Not kidding, picked it up Friday night, finished Saturday night. I loved this story, I was worried it'd be the typical teenage drama stuff but no, this is very complex and jaw-dropping. With every page I'd be more and more interested in what happens next. Plus! The ending, holy crap the ending had me in tears but also amazed and proud at the same time. A personal emotional roller coaster for me. 100% recommend!
on August 31, 2015
So, I just finished Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. When I think about this book, my heart squeezes in my chest. It's so full of emotion and meaning, which is what I LOVE to find in YA. Before I go on, let me give you the run down...

Before I Fall starts off with the main character Samantha Kingston. She's basically your typical, once, geek turned super popular senior. She's best friends with the most popular girls in school, as well as dating the boy that every girl wants. She has the life most high school kids dream of. Until one fateful night.

Sam leaves a party with her friends and their car crashes, and she dies...well, sorta. She dies, only to wake up again the next morning to the discovery that the day has somehow re-winded and she must repeat that same horrific day over again. She gets stuck in a Groundhog Day situation, where she must continue to repeat that fateful day, trying to fight her way out of it and save her life.

My thoughts: At first, I hated Sam. She was awful to everyone who wasn't popular or that she thought wasn't "important enough" for her time and energy. Her circle of friends bullied some of the other girls at school and she was truly a selfish, spoiled brat. Her circle of friends were the typical Mean Girls. But that all changes...

What I love about this book is you truly get to see Sam's transformation. As she's forced to relive the day of the car crash over and over, a magnifying glass is put over herself and her life and she comes to realize how awful she's been. She comes to realize her mistakes and appreciate life instead of just wasting it and worrying about the superficial routines of her social circle. You get to watch Sam's journey of making amends and coming to terms with the person she was in the past, while changing the person she is in the present, even if it might be too late.
Along the way, Sam makes a ton of mistakes trying to figure out how to save herself and others from the accident, but she eventually finds herself, and with this self-discovery comes so many things. She realizes that her relationship with Rob is artificial and starts to fall for Kent, her pre-popular somewhat geeky best friend. And, man, did I love Kent! I loved how sweet he was and that, even though he was a bit nerdy, the author made him strong and confident anyway. He wasn't slinking in the corners and afraid to make his move.

The ending was so heartbreaking, but even though the reader in me wanted it to end differently-- if you've read it, you know what I mean! -- the ending was perfect. It was the only way to truly end the book. I love that toward the end, Sam was no longer trying to fight for her life, but instead to make things right. The ultimate discovery for her also became that she really wasn't afraid of dying. She was simply afraid of what she'd leave behind when the time came. And isn't that sort-of true of all of us?

In short, I loved this book. Heart-wrenching but totally perfect.
on March 9, 2017
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think all teenagers and adults with like this book. It is very well written and captivating. I really liked the part about finding yourself and how the little things do matter. Everyone should be treated with respect and kindness. This book shows this. I never tell what is inside the book. That is for you to find out yourself. I can say this book is worth the read. I can't wait to see the movie. Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Going to check out some other books by Lauren Oliver...
on July 27, 2017
Well...that wasn't the ending I expected. And, unfortunately, I can't say why because it would be a spoiler. And, I consider spoilers or over-reviewing b/c "you're the expert on YA novels" , to be a loathsome trait.

Worth reading? Yes.
Engaging? Yes.
Thought provoking? Yes.
Will it entice YAs to run with the wrong crowd or be idiots? Nope. (They do that without a book.) (And so did we.)
Plausible ending? Nnnnnnnawwwwt so much.

The ending frustrated me. I didn't agree with one without the other. (That, isn't a spoiler.)

But I'm just one person.
Decide for yourself!
on April 17, 2017
I bought this thinking my niece would want to see the movie and I wanted to read the book first. Its definitely a YA book, not a great YA/adult crossover. The protagonist grows and learns as she lives her day over and over again, but the author is not excessively moralizing. I liked that the lesson that she had to learn was not to avoid sexual activities (this book does not have a large sexual component, but the protagonist was planning on losing her virginity the evening she dies). It does show the harm caused by slut-shaming and mean-girl activities. I'm think it could address suicide a bit more thoughtfully, but maybe not without becoming too moralizing for its audience.
on March 29, 2017
A pretty easy read. In a way it just made me believe it was Ground Hog Day repeated, but the story line and the characters were so interesting.
I would recommend this book to young adults. The only reason I read this book was because I heard it was so good they made a movie out of it.
on April 22, 2016
Loved, loved, loved this book! Couldn't put it down! There are some great lessons to be learned here and also a beautifully written, captivating storyline. And for reference, I am a married, 35 year old mom of two. However, having said that, I NEED a sequel... Or a continuing novella... Short story... SOMETHING! The story's finish left me with a bit of whiplash at how quickly it just 'dropped off' and was over. I was so involved in Sam Kingston's world, so invested in her character and her personal growth and her ever-changing perspective of her life and the people in it (which is the mark of a great author, if you ask me) and then it was done in an instant with no wrap up. For me, this did not take away from the story... Even knowing the ending, I would definitely still have read the book. But I do want to see Sam and all her friends and family in a more 'settled' place... And then I would feel better about putting this book down and leaving Sam's world behind.
on February 21, 2017
I took a chance on this book, it's not something I would usually read but the movie trailers led me to it. I was curious to know what all the hype over the movie was about.

We all know the books are always better and I'm not heading to the movie theater anytime soon.

I was a bit disappointed with this one. The story is good but it felt like it dragged a little, it was too descriptive and I didn't need to waste the time to read the same exact words over again on Sam's second day of waking up dead. I hate to use the statement "too descriptive" when describing a book, but it was wordy.

I think the relationship between Sam and Rob needed a little more time. It would have been a tad more heartwrenching when they finally call it off for good.

To me, it just felt choppy. Plus I believe Sam's character could have been saved, at least during one of her "do-overs".

However, the premise was sweet and the idea of making things right is much needed in today's society, so if the movie follows the same line, I think it will be a winner.

Read the book before you see the movie and let me know what you think! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
on July 2, 2017
It takes you back to high school where the most important thing was to be popular and you didn't think about consequences. Who hasn't been mean to someone and the regrets you have in your life. Sometimes I was the mean girl and then their was my nemisis who made fun of me and made my life miserable. Either way everyone can relate to this book. But what I love about it is she got the chance to learn from her mistakes. She learned to accept people and understand them including herself. Very good writing. I loved it.
on June 2, 2017
Sam has it all but on February 12 her charmed life turns out to be her last when she was in a horrific car accident except she wakes up day after day for 1 week so she can figure out the day and night of her death, and gets the chance to change things if she chooses to. I enjoyed this book, it shows a lot of heartbreaking details about how she ended up there and what she could do to fix past mistakes.