Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 113 reviews
on February 20, 2017
The album, "Before the frost" is good and gritty, like old school Black Crowes. But be weary, the second album, Until the frost is not here. You must download from a non-user friendly website. I purchased this cd months ago and still can't download the second cd. No response from the bands website to date. I feel very ripped off and i think this is a sinister way to provide music. I collect cds and was unaware of the download status of the second cd until after purchase. Shame on the Black Crowes and shame on Amazon.
on June 17, 2012
'Before The Frost...Until The Freeze', released September 2009, are two superb albums which stem from the same sessions held before a live audience at the cozy Levon Helm Studios in Woodstock, NY. You buy one and get the other one by downloading it for 'free' from their website. Interesting concept, although I'm not quite sure I prefer it this way. The downloadable album '...Until The Freeze' is a must-own and must not be overlooked. It might as well be the gem in the package, in fact. But both albums sound fresh and honest and are full of highlights, some unexpected. I can't help but wonder what's next...

It appears that the surroundings in which the albums were recorded played a major role on the creation/delivery of this project, with Levon Helm's influence and feel dominating in quite a few places. Larry Campbell, Levon's band's producer and guitar player, guests on both albums, adding banjo, pedal steel and fiddle to the sound of a more mature and somewhat mellowed down Black Crowes. I wonder whether Levon's brilliant 2007 release, 'Dirt Farmer', had something to do with the studio choice... Levon has just passed away, may his soul rest in peace.

To Chris's and Rich's credit, the songwriting is very strong, surprisingly fitting. 'Before The Frost...Until The Freeze' must be their most important release since, perhaps, 'Amorica' in 1994.
on September 19, 2009
I'm on the edge of 60, and I've been listening to music, and collecting it, since I was eight. My first 45 single purchase was Elvis' "Little Sister." My latest is "Before the Frost...After the Flood," by The Black Crowes. I've enjoyed this band's music since the late 80's, but based on their last so-so album, I would not have stood in line for this one. Fortunately, I didn't have to, because Amazon tempted me with a promo credit I could apply to this set.

I could analyze this record (yeah, I still call 'em records) until I put you to sleep here, but that would not get the job done. The job is to get you to listen to this puppy right now, or real soon.

Like all Black Crowes' music, this thing rocks. "Kept My Soul" is as hard and soulful as anything this band has ever done, and that's sayin' something. But there are whole other worlds of creativity happening herein. "Greenhorn" is a beautiful song with a fantastic lyric that sounds, to my ears, like something by Sondheim. That's a compliment, Captain. "What Is Home?"
is another lovely tune in a similar vein. But what's "I Ain't Hiding" but, believe it or not, a disco-meets-down-home rocker with a Rod Stewart feel? And on and on...this set has surprises in store at every turn, even while wrapped in an Americana sonic package with plenty of acoustic ribbons to keep everything feeling real.

Unlike most new music, this doesn't ever smell like product. "Before the Frost...After the Freeze" is the single finest pop record I've heard in about ten years. The Robinson Brothers have never sounded better in their respective vocal and guitar roles. The songs are literate and meaningful. Every moment makes sense and sounds right.

I'm on my tenth listening right now, and it's only getting better, just the way real classics do.

PKL
on November 29, 2009
After putting out the mediocre "Lions" album and then breaking up for several years, The Black Crowes made a nice creative comeback with "Warpaint" in 2007. The comeback continues with "Before The Frost", an album of all new material recorded live before a small audience in upstate New York. I am really enjoying this album and will take a bold step in stating that this may be my all time favorite Black Crowes release. The album is really quite mellow in spots with country, blues and folk influences abounding throughout the material. That is not to say that the album does not rock in spots including the second track "Been A Long Time" which features a smoking jam at the end showcasing the talents of guitarist Luther Dickson. The album even includes a disco song "I Ain't Hiding" which on paper should never work, but is surprisingly one of the highlights of the album. I normally loathe anything that comes close to disco, but not only is this song infectious, but it manages to rock as well. There is not really a weak track on the disc. "Good Morning Captain", "Appaloosa", "Houston Don't Dream About Me", and "The Last Place That Love Hides", are all slow and mellow, but retain great lyrics and a down home almost country feel. The songwriting on this album is top notch throughout ranks right up with the best this band has come up with. All in all if you are a Crowes fan this album is a must purchase. It may not rock as hard as some of its predecessors, but the band prove that they are still a force to be reckoned with 20 years after their formation.
on March 10, 2017
great way to get older releases
on September 11, 2009
I really loved Warpaint and really love this album also. It is a very laid-back jam style album with great lyrics. I totally dig the disco/funk style tune too.

The main reason for this review is to let everybody know, who is wondering about the download of the second half of this release that it is available in both MP3 and FLAC formats. I am not sure what kbps the MP3 is because I downloaded the FLAC version.

If you are not familiar with the FLAC format, I will try to explain.

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. It is a lossless compression. Where MP3 removes most of the high and low frequency information from the selected track and compresses the heck out of it, FLAC keeps all the musical information in a simple 2:1 compression.

[...]

I would highly recommend downloading the FLAC format. Yes, if you get the MP3 files, you can instantly put it on your portable player but you will never have the original music.

If you download the FLAC version, you can burn a lossess CD for play and to keep. You can then very easily convert that CD to MP3 or convert from the FLAC file directly to MP3.

There are many free programs to convert the FLAC file to MP3. Just Google it and start reading. I promise it is not hard.

I will be happy to try and answer any questions anyone might have about FLAC.
on September 14, 2009
Others might say that Before the Frost...Until the Freeze marks a return to form for The Black Crowes. I disagree. This album is just an continuation of the musical progression of the band. The Robinson brothers have matured and so has their music. This album sounds like The Black Crowes. How can it not with the distinctive vocals from Chris? But it sounds like The Black Crowes have grown up. And that is a good thing. The previous release, Warpaint, was fine, but I have already listened to this album more times than Warpaint. But after listening to this record, you can see how Warpaint laid the foundation for this excellent album. Sure there are a few songs that I don't care for, but they are few and far between. And that is without even mentioning that this is a double album for the price of one. You can't beat that. Lastly, this album was recorded live in studio with an audience. Anyone who has ever seen The Black Crowes knows that they are at their best live and I think recording these songs live was an excellent choice and really brings out the best in the material. I hope the band keeps evolving and putting out new material of this quality. If you go back and listen to Amorica or Southern Harmony and then listen to Before the Frost...Until the Freeze, you will see how far the band has come.
on March 6, 2017
Not one of their better albums. Really miss this Southern Rock Band.
on September 7, 2009
"Before The Frost...Until The Freeze" is my nomination for the best album of 2009, and anyone who loves Blues-Rock will fall in love with this gem.

The live-studio feel to the album captured the best of both worlds. The performance is tight, but the applause and "thank you's" give you the feeling that you're listening to the Black Crowes on stage. The 20 songs make it a good album for the road, as well as a "filling" album - there's only a mild "I wish there was more" feeling at the end of the album ... because it's so good. A lot of reviewers complained that "Warpaint" didn't have enough uptempo songs, but this release has a great mix of faster and slower songs. There's also a more folk-sy or country-rock vibe to some of the songs which I enjoyed.

A lot of reviewers give 5 stars to any album they remotely like, but this one is absolutely worthy of my 5-star rating for the amazing music and the great value for the digital download.
on September 18, 2009
I've been a big fan of the Crowes since the late 90's. I think all of their albums have a very different feel, due in no small part to the turnover in band members. Before The Frost... is the 2nd album from this configuration of the band and their comfort level really shows. This album has some elements that are new for the Crowes, including disco (only 1 song and they pull it off) and bluegrass. As with many of their albums, BTF gets better after a few listens. Do yourself a favor, once you download the second half of the album, reorder the tracks according to the vinyl track listing for a totally different listening experience. If you're looking to pick up some of their other albums as well I'd also recommend getting Southern Harmony, Amorica, 3 Snakes and Warpaint as well. Shake Your Money Maker has the songs you've probably heard the most (Hard To Handle, She Talks To Angels), but these are their best.