The Before Trilogy The Criterion Collection
The cornerstone of the career-long exploration of cinematic time by director Richard Linklater (Boyhood), this celebrated three-part romance captures a relationship as it begins, begins again, deepens, strains, and settles over the course of almost two decades. Chronicling the love of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke), from their first meeting as idealistic twentysomethings to the disillusionment they face together in middle age, The Before Trilogy also serves as a document of a boundary-pushing and extraordinarily intimate collaboration between director and actors, as Delpy and Hawke, who cowrote two of the films, imbue their characters with a sense of raw, lived-in experience, and as they age on-screen along with them. Attuned to the sweeping grandeur of time s passage as well as the evanescence of individual moments, the Before films chart the progress of romantic destiny as it navigates the vicissitudes of ordinary life.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED THREE-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored 2K digital transfers of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and a 2K digital master of Before Midnight, approved by director Richard Linklater, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on Before Sunrise and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on Before Sunset and Before Midnight
- New discussion featuring Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, moderated by critic Kent Jones
- Behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the productions of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
- Audio commentary on Before Midnight by Delpy, Linklater, and Hawke
- Dream Is Destiny, a 2016 feature-length documentary about Linklater by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein
- New documentary about the making of Before Midnight in Greece by filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari
- 3x2, a new conversation between scholars Dave Johnson and Rob Stone about Linklater s work
- Linklater // On Cinema & Time, a video essay by filmmaker :: kogonada
- PLUS: An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
******Spoiler****** When Celine sang that song to Jesse at the close...wow, what an ending!
When I heard they were finally working on the third film, I was ecstatic. I also knew this would probably be the last we would see of Jesse and Celine. As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. I eventually found a DVD copy of Before Sunrise, but at this point Blu-rays were the thing. After Before Midnight was released on Blu, I wanted to wait until a trilogy of some sort was released. So I waited, and waited, and even started wondering if it would ever be released. Finally those of us fan boys and girls have our day! What a beautiful set with extras to keep you occupied for hours. As with most in demand Criterion releases, I would snap this one up as soon as you can, because it may disappear into that sunset before you realize.
Boyhood schmoyhood. For a superior passage of time experience, watch these instead.