- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: Cengage Learning PTR; 3 edition (October 18, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1435457420
- ISBN-13: 978-1435457423
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 1 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 182 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #232,536 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
- Features 25% new material with coverage of all the latest technology.
- Written for the beginner, this book assumes no previous programming experience.
- Approaches learning C++ from a unique and fun perspective.
- Features helpful questions, extensive end-of-chapter exercises, and Web downloads to reinforce self-practice and learning.
1. Types, Variables, and Standard I/O: Lost Fortune. 2. Truth, Branching, and the Game Loop: Guess My Number. 3. For Loops, Strings, and Arrays: Word Jumble. 4. The Standard Template Library: Hangman. 5. Functions: Mad-Lib. 6. References: Tic-Tac-Toe. 7. Pointers: Tic-Tac-Toe 2.0. 8. Classes: Critter Caretaker. 9. Advanced Classes and Dynamic Memory: Game Lobby. 10. Inheritance and Polymorphism: Blackjack. Appendix A: Your First C++. Appendix B: Operator Precedence. Appendix C: Keywords. Appendix D: ASCII Chart. Appendix E: Escape Sequences. Index.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 88%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Browse more guides to game development fundamentals and other aspects of game development from Course Technology PTR.
Top customer reviews
If you're starting out in programming this is a good book to start out using to learn c/c++ concepts. I have recomended this book several times to people wanting a good intro book to game programming who have no programming experience. Even if your a seasoned professional this book holds a few concepts that you might not have known.
I read it cover to cover. Working through and hand typing the demonstrated code, helped me understand commmon typo's that generate compile erros, which really helped develop my attention to detail early on.
I gave it 4 even though it probably deserves a 5. I land on 4 because some of the concepts were not explained really well. I had to reread a few sections several times to drive home the concepts shown. A particular example would be operator overloading. It was not described very well, I want to understand the in's and out's.
Overall though this is a fantastic, (understatement) beginners book.
One last thing is that I wish they would have covered splitting classes into different files, blackjack at the end was one ridiculously long .cpp file.
Great read though!!!
I recommend it to ALL game lovers!