Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on February 24, 2012
I've been a developer for over 24 years and I've been writing PHP applications for the DHS for over 10 years. I purchased this book as a desk reference and have found it very useful. It's well organized, so I can find what I'm looking for in a snap. I don't have time to read it from cover to cover, but what I have read has been very insightful and well worth the purchase price. I recommend this book over all others. I also purchased the PHP book, you know the one with the funny animals, and it was absolutely the worse book I ever read. It was not helpful at all. It was written by too many authors and left me confused. Yes, wording the same thing in 2 different ways becomes very confusing. I think I'll stick with the Experts from now on. Hope this helps.
on November 30, 2011
Minor typing errors and code errors are there, but if you are an experienced code examiner, they pose no hinder for learning the interesting PHP language. PHP is changing rapidly, so I gathered much from this book, even if all the changes made to this language are not presented in this newest book. For the novice, though, a substantial basis to start learning!
on April 3, 2011
I provided a good quick reference guide to all the basic functions of PHP and MySQL. The book mostly focuses on the common and new functions for PHP. Though it mentions the legacy functions the new ones replace it does not provide a lot of detail on the legacy functions. So if you are planning on updating/optimizing your legacy PHP code, this book will definitely help. If you need a reference book for a legacy functions code you are better off using the docs on [...]
on March 29, 2014
Very deep book, goes into everything from setting up your servers to some of the more advanced parts of PHP and MySQL. A beautiful and big book. But i suggest you look up some terms or have an understanding of HTML, Websites, the Internet and Web Severs to get a better understanding when reading this book.
on November 20, 2013
Unlike what the title would have you believe, this really isn't designed for beginners. However, once you get past that, this a quite a good reference book. Doesn't cover every detail, but overall a solid reference with many good examples.
on October 16, 2013
I will definitely say this is the best book for a php developer who wants to become an skilled php developer and get a lot of experience. It was new and clean as well, and I appreciated that. Do not hesitate to buy this book! Thank you...
on May 16, 2012
I have 3 or 4 PHP books, and this one is the worst, by far. I bought it because it was required for a PHP class I am taking, but it is a horrible choice for a course textbook.

An example: In chapter 10, "Working with the file and operating system", there are something like 15 pages about reading files, but not one page about writing files. Say what? And no examples of writing files. It's really as if the author simply never thought about it.

Every subject, every section leaves me wanting. There is almost no section of the book where I pick it up and glean meaningful examples.
on May 23, 2011
I just got the book, and right away I had some questions, and not the fault of the author. The author did have an e-mail address listed, so I sent him a question. He was quick to get back to me with the right answer, which was all I could ask for. You just can't get any better than that! From what I have seen of the book so far, it is well-written and easy to follow.
on February 13, 2012
This is generally a solid book, however the page index in the kindle version seems to be missing.
So trying to use the kindle version as a reference book while coding fails.

The section on array manipulation is HUGE, but the database interface seems somewhat weak. However I am not sure I would hold that against the book, since the missing information can be overcome by looking at the MySQL sites.
on December 22, 2012
Most of the book is devoted to examples that have very little use for the capabilities that are most often needed. i.e. contact forms, inserting data into mysql from html forms via php. There are few examples of real life situations that can be applied directly.