Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 177 reviews
VINE VOICEon July 16, 2014
Excellent book for complete beginners, and also for those who have minimal experience with Java. Proceeds very gradually, and never do you have the feeling of suddenly being pushed off a cliff. Topics that have not appeared in a chapter or two are, when mentioned, provided with a reference to a previous explanation, so you can refresh your memory before proceeding, if necessary.
The book is written in a somewhat breezy style typical of the series, but in this case one can sense that the author has many years' classroom experience, and knows what works.
The code for the book's examples is available online, and the author is available to assist by email or even via chat if there are persistent problems. Dr. Burd has also written other books on Java, among them one that covers more advanced general programming topics, and another specifically geared towards Java for Android devices.
on January 14, 2016
First, I'm a beginner.

Actually, I am a former CEO of a software/finance firm - but I was CEO for the finance stuff.

While I had some exposure to our code development, I was focused on the finance side of our business model (night and day) and had little time for the coding fundamentals of our business, which were very Java focused.

Truly, at the time, I thought code and the folks doing it were "fungible" in a financial sense. I wish I'd had more time to spend understanding the fundamentals of code. Rather, I learned the buzz words needed for investors or clients. In short, like many finance people, I was not the value-add I thought I was, but that wasn't what investors were buying. They wanted to buy business models - they never asked more than skin deep questions about the code.

Over time, I've done some in-class training and participated in online course, but I have to say that nothing has made Java so clear as this book. For many like me, who have been faking it and writing code in MS Notepad, this author's use of the Eclipse platform is a dream for the many with "so so" typing and error checking skills. To be fair - I've only completed the first 100 pages of the book, but it has filled in many of the gaps that more advance classes left out.

If you are in management to executive management of a firm that uses the web for business - I recommend this book as a shortcut to the true fundamentals of what those teams of engineers are doing for you. Again, if you've had other exposure, your time invested will be very short, but your capacity to understand bids (for costly improvements) from the engineering team(s) will increase in a "hockey stick" fashion.
on September 13, 2012
Like another reviewer, I purchased this before I took an actual Computer Science 1 with Java class. This book is actually better at teaching Java than my teacher is. The structure and format is great and it's very entry level oriented. I would definitely recommend this for someone who is serious about getting into computer programming.
on August 7, 2016
Although I was looking for a book that would get into more depth, I have learned a lot of good stuff form this book. I was really impressed when I was having a problem with one of the example programs and I surfed Dr. Burd's web page on a Saturday night and Dr. Burd was on chat and I was actually able to talk to Dr. Burd directly very impressive. For a beginner to an intermediate this is a very good book.
on December 10, 2016
I hadn't done any real programming since Fortran classes in college in the '90's, but had done a fair amount of work in VBA for Excel over the years, and wanted to get some idea of what a modern language could do. Java seemed like a good place to start, and this book seemed like a good guide to get me started. Like most For Dummies books, it presents a very practical approach, introducing you to one concept at a time without unexplained jumps, and with figures and examples galore. Whenever something wasn't working, after some careful scrutiny, I discovered that I'd skipped a line or committed a typo. I finished the book and was starting to work on some experiments of my own when my hard drive crashed. When I got a new machine and tried to recreate my Eclipse environment for Java, I was stumped by errors. Unable to find answers online, I emailed the author. Why not? He'd included his email in the book, after all. To my absolute shock, less than 30 minutes later I had a reply, and a productive back-and-forth followed. So: good book, backed up by excellent support.
on October 26, 2015
Awesome book! I recommend for those who are absolutely new to java. I have to admit, if I didnt have prior programming experience or at least taken a programming class, some of the concepts are pretty confusing, but Barry does an awesome job at explaining everything in great detail. This book will literally take you from zero to novice if you finish reading this book cover to cover and dont skip on the examples. I recommended writing out everything and using the example projects as a reference in case something doesnt work. I don't think you'll become a java professional by reading just this book, I think this is a great book to start with and then move on to a text book or another Java book that lets you test out the knowledge you have learned. After all my research and online reviews, this book is the best for those who want to start learning java but dont want to pay $80 + dollars to start out. Most of those books are 600+ pages and some of the material might be dry and boring and thus leads to no motivation. All in all get this book if you want to learn java and if you want a book that is in "Laymans" terms but also has a technical side.
on August 24, 2014
I've recently finished 'Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies 4th Edition' from John Wiley & Sons, inc. The book was written by Dr. Barry Burd, PhD and has a very informative and intriguing feel. Dr. Burd did a wonderful job of providing information in a clear and engaging way that leaves the reader informed and hungry for more information.

It is an excellent book for those who are new to programming in general, object-oriented programming, or novices who want to learn the Java programming language. The 4th Edition walks you through Java concepts from the initial setup of Eclipse IDE to the basic concepts of Java GUI development all while keeping Java 8 in mind. The book focuses on console applications primarily as it is easier to convey the basic concepts without the GUI code. However, through Internet resources referenced in the book; readers have access to GUI examples of most of the example Console programs.

The bottom line is that 'Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies 4th Edition' provides a solid base for launching into the vast world of programming. Dr. Burd's writing style will keep readers engaged and learning throughout the book. He avoids the elitist and condescending vibe that I've found in some other programming language books; and, he is quick to point out that even top-tier professional programmers aren't infallible. Personally, I'm looking forward to reading his other books and absorbing all of the knowledge he has to offer.
on February 3, 2017
Puns of Burd and Birds abound. If looking to learn Java, get a Java specific book. A good portion of this text is dedicated to getting setting up with a programming environment (namely eclipse). Learn what programming environment your desired/local college uses and try to use that instead. Dont't ever use cursed BlueJ.
on March 29, 2012
Dr. Burd is a true educator and I wish I could learn from him in person! This book "Beginning Programming With Java For Dummies" is fantastic! It starts out on a very basic level and thoroughly explains beginning aspects of Java programming as well as installing an IDE. It does so in a clear, light and entertaining manner that is never monotonous or boring. I especially like the portions of the book that explain how to read and write data to text files. It builds on knowledge from previous chapters and develops difficult concepts in a manner that is understandable and fun. I'm just finishing up with this book and starting "Java For Dummies", another book by Dr. Burd. It too is written in the same instructive manner as the first and I can't wait to delve into it. I searched and found Dr. Burd's books to be just perfect for those of us who are new to programming and learning in the isolation that comes with online courses.

I am attending college online and majoring in CS/IT. The textbook that accompanies the course in Java programming that I am taking is virtually worthless, so confusing and very obtuse. It is an "introductory" textbook, but it is written as if the reader should already have a good grasp of computer programming and Object Oriented Programming. It jumps around too much and doesn't develop a graduated base of knowledge for the student to draw from. (A polite note to all of you learned indivduals who have a Master's or Doctorate degree... I salute your hard work for earning an advanced degree!...But just because you may know everything there is to know about a subject, DOESN'T MAKE YOU A TEACHER! If you can't convey what you know to your students in a manner that is simply understandable, instructive and enjoyable to the students, then please, please, go work in industry and get out of academia! God forbid that you ever try to make education a career or worse, write a textbook!)

Sorry about my rant, I feel better now. Buy Dr. Burd's books on programming if you want to learn how!
on May 30, 2014
Hi

This book does a decent job of describing Java syntax and how to use it. But it is written as if Java were a structured programming language and doesn't address the ideas of classes until late in the book. I am using this book to teach my daughter Java and supplemented with a lot of OO concepts to give her a framework for understanding what she was doing.

I also supplemented this with my own exercises as the exercises in the book were only fair.