Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Beginning Regular Expressions
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 6, 2015
Very helpful, and supplemental to the other Regular Expression books I have.
on April 19, 2015
Yeah!
on August 9, 2014
This is a good book on Regular Expressions. I haven't made it through the book yet, but I am learning, and it has helped in a number of times I have used Regular Expressions.
on October 24, 2013
I'm a complete beginner to regular expressions, and I've only finished a few chapters so far. The author's approach is extremely clear and easy to follow. He takes pains to explain how the expressions work, and how to troubleshoot when they don't. I'm very pleased with this book.
on June 20, 2011
^I really [enjoyed|liked] this book. Regular expressions like [any|every]thing takes practice to learn. The book provided real-world examples such as validating e-mail addresses. It is easy to get a regular expression wrong which could cost you $
on January 31, 2010
I already know regex fairly well and thought I could learn a few more things by reading this book. Turns out, there are way more things to learn about regex than I really wanted to. I started learning new things right away with this book, but soon realized that mastering this topic would mean giving up mastery on another.

A great book if you really need to get into complex regex.
on December 1, 2005
For years I have wanted to learn how to use Regular Expressions. But the short tutorials that I came across left me double cross eyed perplexed! I finally came across Beginning Regular Expressions. Now the whole process is a piece of cake. The author takes a very cryptic subject and makes it totally clear. Within two hours of reading this book while laying on the couch, I was able to hop up and write cryptic looking formulas as if it was my second nature. Regular expressions are so powerful and so helpful. I'm so glad I finally came across this book. Thanks to the author who painstakingly broke it down to the most basic levels and made everything crystal clear! If you have an interest in POWERFUL search and replace across a lot of files, this book is your ticket to search and replace paradise!
on May 26, 2005
A good introduction, but I was disappointed with all the typos in the text and regex examples, as well as Figures being mismatched with the text (in one case a nonexistent Figure was referred to, and a totally irrelevant Figure was in its place). No coverage of modifier spans. But on the whole, adequate for rank beginners.
on April 19, 2005
As an introduction to regular expressions, this book does an excellent job of covering the many different ways in which regular expressions are used. Included are explanations of how to put regular expressions to use in client-side Javascript, Microsoft Word, Open Office, C#, PHP, Perl, ASP, etc (Just a few that I could think of off the top of my head). I especially like that the author didn't focus on only Microsoft products, or only on open source products. He gives an excellent introduction to how regular expressions fit in in both the world of programming, and simply using your computer from day to day. This is a huge book, and Mr. Watt does a fantastic job of covering both syntax (nuts and bolts) and real-world application. This is an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to more about Regular Expressions.
on March 4, 2005
I picked this book up because I had no idea just what a Regular Expression was. Turns out that regular expressions are nothing more than the "wildcards" from a lot of applications like Microsoft Word that have been generalized to fit a lot of applications in text processing.

For instance you may want to examine an incoming field from an internet form. If the data is going to a social security column in a database, you want to be sure that the data doesn't say something like Fred-34-1234. It's the right format, but alpha isn't a good thing to have there. If this isn't checked form, it may wait until the SQL Insert statement blows up.

The generalized form of expressions like this can be used to check things like SSN formats, the proper formation of an e-mail address and a lot of other things commonly needed in text processing.

Many languages both programming and scripting have provisions built into them to handle this kind of text processing. This book provides the generalized background to use regular expressions in ways that that you haven't considered but which you'll find very useful.