Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Behind Barbed Wire: German Prisoner of War Camps in Minnesota
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on October 21, 1998
This is a book about a little known or less remembered phase of World War II history as it relates to Minnesota. It suggets the success of the Geneva Convention regarding treatment of prisoners of war in the United States. In the simple presentation of factual information, the author allows us to feel something of the fears, the loneliness, and concerns of prisoners and their willingness to work rather than be idle. The concerns of citizens are also presented clearly concerning escapes, those of labor unions interested in protecting American labor, as well as the general concern about work necessary to pursue the war. It is a facet of the war that most histories neglect.
on September 11, 2005
I enjoyed this book very much because it's a part of our history many Americans are unaware of. I was a child during World WarII and I seen the POW's working on the farms. My Grandchildren took the book to school to share with the History class and even the teacher was amazed. It's a book you will keep and re-read.
on June 20, 2016
Got the book, used, and began reading it right away because it's a topic that's near and dear to my heart for many reasons. I usually read and reread the descriptions and reviews and VERY seldom am I disappointed. Well, this one hit home. Yes, I understand it's a used book, but, that being said, the (soft) cover looks like someone jammed a screwdriver into it making a hole and then dent several pages deep, it looks like a child had at it with a pen on several different pages, the previous owner left "post-its" pasted in several pages and they are sticking together, all this and I paid over $52 for a $15 book. I've bought shelves full of "gently" used books, some many, many decades old, most for less than the published price and not seen this amount of damage. Again the book so far is a great read, and that's what I'm basing my rating on. The condition and price of the book from this seller make me wish I had found some better options.
on October 26, 2009
This is a book about a little known aspect of World War II. As one who was a very young child with vague memories of this part of the war it was especially interesting and poignant. This book brings a face and humanity to our "enemies". This should be must reading for everyone.
on January 23, 2016
My 80-year-old dad loved this book and continues to talk about what he learned from it. He grew up next to a German POW camp in eastern Minnesota and found it fascinating.
on May 1, 2013
I had heard a speaker talking about the POW camps and I have lived within 10 miles of one. My parents had related stories and so the book was very interesting to read.
on August 26, 2013
I found the locations of the POW camps to be highly interesting. I now plan on trying to located what might remain of some of the camp sites.
on October 31, 2013
I purchased the book because I live in MN and just wanted some information on the camps since it was based on my home state.
on January 15, 2007
I received the book very quickly, even though it was ordered over the holidays.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse